oblivion, pokemon pearl or F.E.A.R gold

edited September 2007 in General Chat
i want to get a new game i'm not sure which of these 3 to get out of

oblivion(PC), pokemon pearl(DS) or F.E.A.R gold(PC)

i like most sorts of games (never played an elder scrolls before)

Comments

• edited August 2007
    All of those games are good (according to Gamespot: 9.3, 8.5 and 9.1 respectively), so it's up to you I guess.

I'm afraid there is no personal input from me because I've never played any of them!
  • edited August 2007
    Haven't played Pokemon or FEAR, but I HAVE played Oblivion and I will tell you now, it is MIND-BLOWING.

I recommend, if you go this route, to do several things.

1. Also purchase Morrowind.
    2. Purchase all expansion packs for both games.
    3. Do a little bit of reading online about the first two games (Arena and Daggerfall).

Now please bear in mind that you do not have to do any of these three things, but #1 and #2 will give you access to another game and a whole lot of new content for both of them. #3 is the least necessary, since no understanding of the existing story or universe is required, and indeed, the games are by no means direct sequels to each other.

Incidentally, I should point out that Oblivion is rated M for, among other things, "Nudity" that it does not, in fact, contain.
  • edited August 2007
    i could get the goty oblivion later in the year when it is released
  • edited August 2007
    Oblivion... that game is endless, dude
  • edited August 2007
    i heard something about all enemys get stronger as you do (sort of like those in skies of arcadia legends) so if something is hard to defeat once even as you level up it is still hard to beat
  • edited August 2007
    If you get Oblivion, make sure your PC's got a lot of RAM.

Even with the graphics turned low, mods to get low poly grass, and a decent enough graphics card, Oblivion still ran like an interactive slideshow.
    Other than that, and the psycho woman who kept trying to kill me every time she saw me, even days afterwards, after I accidentally went on her pirate ship, the game's pretty good.

Pokemon: According to my brother, it's exactly the same as every other Pokemon game, but with DS graphics. Haven't played any of them so I can't comment myself.

FEAR: No idea about it.
  • edited August 2007
    Yes, almost the entire game is leveled. But there was only really 1 hard moment for me in that game, and it was in the Shivering Isles expansion. There is a point, at which you have to defeat YOURSELF. And it was a doozy for me. Mostly because he had a superior weapon and used my gear better than I could.
  • edited August 2007
    Badwolf wrote: »
    If you get Oblivion, make sure your PC's got a lot of RAM.

Even with the graphics turned low, mods to get low poly grass, and a decent enough graphics card, Oblivion still ran like an interactive slideshow.
    Other than that, and the psycho woman who kept trying to kill me every time she saw me, even days afterwards, after I accidentally went on her pirate ship, the game's pretty good.

Pokemon: According to my brother, it's exactly the same as every other Pokemon game, but with DS graphics. Haven't played any of them so I can't comment myself.

FEAR: No idea about it.

my set up is

core 2 duo t5500 1.66/1.67Ghz
    nvidea geforce go 7400 256mb
    1gig ram
    running vista ultimate
    (pretty good for £630 inc norton 360 and bag)
    i ran it through system requirements lab and got above recommended
    graph_all_5.gif
  • edited August 2007
    Uhhhhh, yeah. Just don't try running it on full settings and you'll be fine, I think.
  • edited August 2007
    Oblivion... that game is endless, dude

I thought it was too short. Morrowind was much bigger. Much more to explore and figure out :)

I actually was disappointed with Oblivion. It's a good game, but they didn't keep a lot of the promises they gave before the game was released. Like, if you watch the Oblivion - Gameplay Demo (Part 1 - 5) on youtube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUtvj_pqxvs for the first part) one sees a number of features he present which were dropped in the final version.

Also, there were certain things from Morrowind which annoyed me, which they didn't fix in Oblivion. They fixed some other issues from Morrowind though.
  • edited August 2007
    Maratanos wrote: »
    Uhhhhh, yeah. Just don't try running it on full settings and you'll be fine, I think.

what sort of settings do you recommend then

i can run UT2004 perfectly highest settings(very high fps) and broken sword 4 full settings (if that helps at all)

EDIT: i have now ordered it along with a new copy of HTR (lost original copy) and have looked at some other forums with images and it looks like if i run it at minimum settings i should get a very decent framerate
  • edited August 2007
    Oh, no, don't worry by any means. Full settings means grass fade up all the way, and trust me, that's just simply not possible with only a gig of RAM. And only 256 MB vram.
  • edited August 2007
    Am I the only one that found Oblivion B-O-R-I-N-G. Hack, slash, cast a spell. Wash, rinse, and repeat. It's such a grind that it feels like an MMO.
  • edited August 2007
    Rasher wrote: »
    Am I the only one that found Oblivion B-O-R-I-N-G. Hack, slash, cast a spell. Wash, rinse, and repeat. It's such a grind that it feels like an MMO.

It tends to get quite repetitive after a while. Especially with all the cave hunting. "Kill 10 000 more creatures, loot 50 more caves, and you may get another level up". Still, I would say Oblivion is an enjoyable game, if one is into that type of games.

It doesn't beat Morrowind, though, even though Morrowind had some of the same "issues" related to repetitiveness. Still, I had a better time playing through Morrowind than playing through Oblivion, probably because of all the Oblivion gates. I used to hate those places. But Morrowind has aged a bit, so I'm not sure if a new player would enjoy it as much as I did when I played it 3-4 years ago.
  • edited August 2007
    Maratanos wrote: »
    Oh, no, don't worry by any means. Full settings means grass fade up all the way, and trust me, that's just simply not possible with only a gig of RAM. And only 256 MB vram.

so i'll start fairly low and increase it as much as possible graphically till it is as high as it can go with a decent frame rate
  • edited August 2007
    Rasher wrote: »

You are not alone. In unrelated news, I'm installing Bioshock now. It's very exciting.
  • edited August 2007
    I didn't find Oblivion boring - I explored all the dungeons, joined all the guilds, completed nearly all of the quests... of course this is all with the difficulty slider all the way to the left, since I don't care much for fighting, but some of the quests are highly entertaining regardless of that (Dark Brotherhood, anyone?).
  • edited August 2007
    marsan wrote: »
    I actually was disappointed with Oblivion. It's a good game, but they didn't keep a lot of the promises they gave before the game was released. Like, if you watch the Oblivion - Gameplay Demo (Part 1 - 5) on youtube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUtvj_pqxvs for the first part) one sees a number of features he present which were dropped in the final version.

like fable then
  • edited August 2007
    F.E.A.R. is a great game too if you like First Person Shooters. I have played through both the original and it's expansion and found them to be quite enjoyable! The enemy A.I. is very unique. Also if you like the "horror" genre this one fits that bill perfectly. I think with F.E.A.R. gold you get both the original game and it's expansion so you'll be all set to go with fighting the "paranormal" and getting caught up with the storyline for the sequel which should be out in 2008!!
  • edited August 2007
    Mack Daddy wrote: »
    F.E.A.R. is a great game too if you like First Person Shooters. I have played through both the original and it's expansion and found them to be quite enjoyable! The enemy A.I. is very unique. Also if you like the "horror" genre this one fits that bill perfectly. I think with F.E.A.R. gold you get both the original game and it's expansion so you'll be all set to go with fighting the "paranormal" and getting caught up with the storyline for the sequel which should be out in 2008!!

i'll look to get that as well in the near future (or after season 2) and it is both the expansion and the original
  • edited August 2007
    i've got oblivion now and all i can say is wow

thanks for the advice
  • edited September 2007
    Personally I'm waiting for Oblivion to drop in price and get released in a version with the expansions alongside it. Guess I don't have the patience...a fact maybe seen by the fact that out of the 300+ games I've got standing on my shelf, I've completed maybe 80.

Bought Morrowind the day it was released. Played maybe 3 hours, feeling very disappointed after the magic of daggerfall. Then my attention was caught by Duke Nukem Manhattan project, which I finished shortly after, then something else came up, then I made a run through System shock 2 again and something else. Short and the long being that next time I tried to push a bit further on Morrowind it had been released in a package with the two expansions, at a third of the original retail price. Happens too often for me so often end up playing what I got and getting things as they hit the bargain bin unless it's something I've been waiting for.
    Bioshock was an almost buy for me. If the copy protection scheme hadn't been drawn to my attention it probably would've been. For now I will wait it out and see if they compromise and go from baby murdering/eating protection level to maybe a light massacre level.
  • edited September 2007
    oblivion GOTY is released this month with the 2 expansions
Sign in to comment in this discussion.