Language Selection in translated Version?

edited September 2007 in Sam & Max
Hey... just wondering: Is it possible, to choose the language at the installation of (for example) the german version of sam&max?

It's coming out soon here in germany and it would save me some costs, to just order the german version.. but since I'm not that big of a fan of translations (I like watching tv-series in original language - if english - more than the synchro, either), I would be pretty happy, to be able choosing the original sound and text

so, before I order and get disappointed, I thought, I just asked here..

-> is it possible? Or do I have to order the english Version, if I want the original stuff?

Comments

• edited August 2007
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the European version contains all the different languages, including English, no matter where you buy it from. You're probably best waiting for someone who knows for sure to confirm it though.
  • edited August 2007
    The European version has English, French and Germany Avalable.
    I think that Diffrence is at installation outher than in-game though.
    Where do you live aka. country and we could help more
  • edited August 2007
    well all-right, I live in germany and don't care, where to set up the language, just need to know, if it's possible to have the original language when buying the german/european release :)

and from what you wrote, it seems like that shouldn't be a problem, so thank you :)
  • edited August 2007
    Trixie wrote: »
    The European version has English, French and Germany Avalable.

And don't forget the Italian subtitles for the English version. ;)
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2007
    Yes, with JoWood's DVD you can select any of the languages when you install (French, German, Italian subtitles, or English).
  • edited September 2007
    hi, is it possible to change the language after installing it? (in my case the Season One package) I haven't found an option yet - is there any? ..

I made the terrible mistake to install it in german and want to change it to english now. Do I really have to de- and reinstall it just to change the language?
  • edited September 2007
    Uhm, yes i guess you have to reinstall it, but hey where is the problem? It would have been shorter to fix your "terrible mistake" then writing this post.
  • edited September 2007
    yeah, but that is stupid. I don't reinstall games just to make a tiny change - that's bad programming.
  • edited September 2007
    -Woodrow- wrote: »
    yeah, but that is stupid. I don't reinstall games just to make a tiny change - that's bad programming.

A tiny change? Or hours and hours of dialogue in a different language?
  • edited September 2007
    well, I expect it to be a change of one variable in a system file, *.ini or whatever ...

IIRC the setup installed all languages of the game. the dialogs are the same if you compare the different languages, the rhythm and the sentence order, too - just the words are different.

If I would program a game or program in different languages I would simply use a database.
  • edited September 2007
    Aww man, some ppl tend to criticize everything just for the heck of it. No it´s not the same afaik, the engine handles the lip sync different depending on the language.

I dont wanna sound like a smartass, but if you can do better, what are you waiting for?

Instead of being glad for getting all language versions with the DVD you complain that its too difficult to change it? Say, have you bashed Lucasarts aswell? Since all you got on that lousy cd back then was one language version.
  • edited September 2007
    lip sync? ...... *shakes head*

okay, okay, okay, if you say so ........ :rolleyes:
  • edited September 2007

Yeah, the game uses an automated lip-sync system, based on the installed language... although i don't know if those resource files are stored with the speech-files or separately.

And are you sure that ALL language-files are installed on the HDD, no matter which language you choose for the game?
  • edited September 2007

Well you better learn to inform yourself before tryin too hard to make a fool out of others, Kid.
  • edited September 2007
    I'm with Diduz. ;)
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2007
    There are a lot of things that change - lipsync, the timing of some of the animations, some textures are swapped so the text on the texture is in the other language instead of English (stuff like the weapons BoscoTech logo), in-game UI screens (we would have had to resdesign the UI so there would be space for a language selector, and a programmer would have had to make it work...) Plus it would have meant that instead of creating a separate install for each language, which was fairly easy for us to do, we would have had to create one mega-install that included all of them, which would have been a lot more complicated and would have required quite a bit more testing.

You're right that being able to switch between languages after installation would have been a better user experience, but we had to evaluate what we had the resources to do against how important it was, and based on the amount of work and time it would have taken to implement a relatively minor convenience, a decision was made to do it this way. Sorry it means having to uninstall and reinstall. :p

(That's probably a lot more information than you wanted, I just don't want anyone to think we're idiots who don't realize that uninstalling and reinstalling in another language isn't the most convenient way to switch between languages. We're not idiots and we do realize that. ;))
  • edited September 2007
    I simply can't believe there's lip sync with foreign languages even if someone from the team like you admits it - as I can't see any - but, yeah okay, I forgot about the ingame logos and writings that I've seen in german. I appreciate your "long" answer which I definitively prefer to any short reply of the sort "language change after installation? not possible.".

Anyway I still won't deinstall just to change the language.
  • edited September 2007
    I simply can't believe there's lip sync with foreign languages even if someone from the team like you admits it

And yet there is. Amazing.
  • edited September 2007
    Don´t feed the trolls. :)
  • jmmjmm
    edited September 2007
    Why? I'm hungry!
  • edited September 2007
    Then go with the language you intalled it. Personally I'd hate it if it installed all languages at the same time. Is okay for some games where it'd just replace subtitles and such, but since there's textures, animation data and voice track for all languages that'd end up just getting my game to take up way more space than nescesary if it had to install 4 languages when I only intend to use one.
    As it is I'm a bit bothered by how games take up so much space, and then still require the disc in drive even though it won't read any of it, however trivial the data might be. Know it is for access speed everything gets copied, but could be neat if someone actually made something work.
    Played Marvel ultimate alliance. 8 GB install. Several hours of gameplay, but would've been good if it'd give me the choice for caching. For starters it'd just install what would be needed for the first couple of missions. As you make progress through those it'd in the background cache in data for the next one and remove data for some you've already passed. Should be an option so people don't get surprised at long load time if they load an older save, but would've been a nice way to preserve space. Chronically out of space people like me would probably also tend to think installing all lanugages at the same time would be a stupid choice.
    If anything the installer could've been updated to uninstall the desired files for language and install the new one.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.