iiiiiiiinteresting......

edited September 2007 in Sam & Max
So I was looking through old Freelance Police stuff after I got a hunch about something in the new trailer. Turns out that was a false lead but I did find this tastey little morsel:

"PCG: What about after you've finished the game?
MS: We're planning to have several types of new content available shortly after we ship the boxed version. Bonus content will include everything from new power-ups to new mini-games...and maybe even entirely new interactive Sam & Max cases you can download. Our fans will just have to wait and see what we have in store for them..."
- PC Gamer interview with Michael Stemmle (Director) February 2004

I know it's old news to most of us but I smiled after reading it again. :)

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2007
    Even Freelance Police itself was considered as a series of downloadable cases, I think. I remember reading that as a rumor and mentioned in interviews elsewhere. Who can say now, though?
  • edited August 2007
    Good question, I'm not sure but our old pal Mike Stemmle can atleast say:

"The story of Sam & Max: Freelance Police is really six stories, loosely held together by a thrilling über-plot. The individual stories are wide-ranging cases of the Freelance Police, featuring exotic locales (such as a low-rent space station, and a lame-ass neopagan desert bacchanal) and freakish bad guys (like an exceptionally honked-off Miss Congeniality, and a rogue artificial intelligence made out of tortilla chips).

We're trying to keep the über-plot under wraps for now, but suffice to say it features all the barely plausible grandeur that fans have come to expect from Sam and Max."
    - CVG interview May 2004

*is strangely enjoying this voyage to the past*
  • edited August 2007
    The concept art for the space station was amazing
  • edited August 2007
    From Adventure Gamers' preview of Out from Boneville:
    Rather than putting years of hard work and funding into a game that may or may not pay off in the end, Telltale believes that by releasing a steady stream of games, based on a variety of licenses (comics, TV shows, and even novels), they'll have a better chance of producing quality interactive stories for the players, while staying creative and productive themselves. It's an idea Connors and Bruner came up with back at LucasArts. They wanted to do Sam & Max this way, but LucasArts vetoed the idea in favor of one longer, traditional game—and we all know how that turned out. Connors and Bruner left LucasArts and, along with fellow LEC alum Troy Molander, started Telltale to follow through on their idea. The team doesn't rule out the possibility of developing original properties and finding a reasonable balance between shorter and full-scale productions down the road, but for now, Bone is certainly keeping them busy.

I definitely remember those Freelance Police rumors Jake mentioned, the ones about the whole game being sold online. They sounded bizarre at the time and eventually disappeared. The fact that downloadable cases were considered even at that late date shows that digital distribution was something the future Telltale guys had on their minds. And considering which format of Sam & Max got made and which one didn't, it was obviously on their minds for good reason.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2007
    Hey - I wrote that Out from Boneville preview.

Freaky. :eek:
  • edited August 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    Hey - I wrote that Out from Boneville preview.

Freaky. :eek:

You wrote this post as well! :eek:
    :D

It'd be really nice if everything to do with the old Sam & Max game was released to the public/given to Telltale. No matter how many new games there will be, I'll always be interested in the one that never saw the light of day (Especially if I hear about it every week!).
  • edited August 2007
    You wrote this post as well! :eek:
    :D

It'd be really nice if everything to do with the old Sam & Max game was released to the public/given to Telltale. No matter how many new games there will be, I'll always be interested in the one that never saw the light of day (Especially if I hear about it every week!).

But they might use those ideas for future episodes. ;)
  • edited August 2007
    yeaa i totally feel u on that unreleased beats me if it was ever finished sam n max 2...

like really... i do... from the bottom of my veracose gut. lol
  • edited September 2007
    I know, it digs at me too!
  • edited September 2007
    but you always have to keep in mind: if freelance police would ever be completed the joke with the cardboard box in season one would be obsolete..
  • edited September 2007
    hehe that indeed made me smile ;) and I found it quiet intressting
  • edited September 2007
    wisp wrote: »
    but you always have to keep in mind: if freelance police would ever be completed the joke with the cardboard box in season one would be obsolete..

The game would be nothing without that joke! :D
  • edited September 2007
    wisp wrote: »

Not really and even if so, who cares! I'd gladly pay the blood of a joke to experience that which was Freelance Police.
  • edited September 2007
    Just wondering.. Does anybody from telltale (maybe even Steve Purcell) actually know how far along Freelance Police got to? Was it a playable beta?
    I'm just wondering this because maybe sometime in the future it might leak from wherever it has been archived by the evil ones :)

Sorry if this has been dealt with already.

Cheers,

Pete
  • edited September 2007
    I don't know just how much of Telltale is composed of the ex-Freelance Police team (I heard some of them are... right?), but is it possible that bits of Freelance Police have been recycled in Telltale's games? Then again, maybe that can't be done because it still belongs to Lucasarts or something (or maybe they just didn't want to!).
  • edited September 2007
    There are absolutely no assets from any LucasArts game in our games.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.