Telltale's August Newsletter

EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
edited September 2007 in Sam & Max
Hey look, it's the first Interloper of 2007! Woo!

Comments

• edited August 2007
    It's August and it's the first one of 2007?
    Haha, no wonder I wasn't getting any. :D
  • edited August 2007
    ...the newsletter

Well, i don't want to offend anyone but honestly it looked a little bit like spam to me with all the not so well subdivided texts passages and the almost countless links. Wouldn't it be better placing most of this behind the links and making it more readable?

Or even better, can we get a real newsletter in form of a pdf file which looks like a newspaper, Zak like?

By the way, i would like to see the faces without the hands in between. :O)
  • edited August 2007
    taumel wrote: »
    ...the newsletter

Well, i don't want to offend anyone but honestly it looked a little bit like spam to me with all the not so well subdivided texts passages and the allomst countless links. Wouldn't it be better placing most of this behind the links and make it more readable?

Or even better, can we get a real newsletter in form of a pdf file which looks like a newspaper, Zak like?

By the way, i would like to see the faces without the hands in between. :O)

I think the newsletter will be a bit more interesting when it has some content in we don't know about/haven't read before.
  • edited August 2007
    Maybe i'm a bit picky about this but this is something i don't enjoy reading the way it's looking like. It reminds me more of those "Dear Mr. Blabla, I do life here in Botswana. I'm the third son of King Ulala and maybe you can help me out with my problem..." mails.
  • edited August 2007
    Maybe i'm a bit picky about this but this is something i don't enjoy reading the way it's looking like. It reminds me more of those "Dear Mr. Blabla, I do life here in Botswana. I'm the third son of King Ulala and maybe you can help me out with my problem..." mails.

Well, there is going to be a 'Dear Max' section... :D
  • edited August 2007
    We used to have a nicer looking newsletter, but Outlook 2007 switched to the Word rendering engine instead of IE, which previous versions used, so we had to abandon pretty much all nice layout in favor of bare bones HTML.
  • edited August 2007
    What's speaking against a pdf?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2007
    I dont think people would be very excited if we emailed them a PDF attachment once a month. I would probably phone them up and tell them to go out of business, actually.
  • edited August 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    I dont think people would be very excited if we emailed them a PDF attachment once a month. I would probably phone them up and tell them to go out of business, actually.

Plus not everyone may have Acrobat Reader.
    And I agree, it is nice to not have to open anything (except the e-mail, actually) and just read the newsletter straight away.
    I don't think I'd phone them up and tell them to go out of business, though. ;)
  • edited August 2007
    Really? Well, on a mac it's such a no brainer and i don't know a single person without a pdf reader installed but maybe you're right. Flash is common too, linking to a flashpage with a newspaper then?
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2007
    If you don't like it, you can unsubscribe. :p
  • jmmjmm
    edited August 2007
    Oh no, not flash. I hate that thing.
  • edited August 2007
    What Emily said. :p
  • edited August 2007
    @emily
    Sorry for the input...*done*
  • edited September 2007
    I dont think a downloadable small pdf would hurt on site :P and I love the old newspaper idea only make it new paper! Dont want it turning yellow like half my sam and max merch... darn you steve and lucasarts for using ph unbalanced paper! My fizzball print is almost unsee able now. Sigh if only something could be done about that.. aww well.
  • edited September 2007
    @emily
    Sorry for the input...*done*

Could you perhaps also unsubscribe from this forum, please? I don't think I've ever read anything positive in your posts, and it's getting on my nerves.

--Erwin
  • edited September 2007
    I actually love the way it looks, and I would hate if you guys would switch to something arcane as PDF or Flash for an e-mail newsletter.
  • edited September 2007
    @Kaldire
    Yep me too. I can't follow the argument that sending out a maybe <1MB pdf would hurt when the large part of the business is built on internet distribution. I don't remember the sizes but 70-100MB for each episode? Secondly beeing stylish on the website, with a trailer, in the game but sending out newletters this way also doesn't fit together very well. Anyway it's their product, so if they don't want, they don't want...
  • edited September 2007
    The main reason why PDF files would be a baaaaaad idea because, at least on a Windows PC, it really takes a while to load a PDF in your browser. In fact, I installed a Greasemonkey script that shows a little icon next to PDF links, because I really, really, really do not want to open them unless it's absolutely vital. And then I prefer downloading them and reading offline, but with a simple e-mail newsletter, I just wouldn't care enough to do that. Besides, most e-mail newsletters are in HTML, and they look just fine to me, so I don't see any reason to take any unnecessary steps to do something trivial as sending out e-mail newsletters that end up in the virtual garbage bin after being read.
  • edited September 2007
    There's no way we're doing PDF mailings, so it's probably not worth worrying about.

Also, Haggis, you might check out this extension:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/636

It gives you a choice of what to do whenever you click a PDF link.
  • edited September 2007
    tabacco wrote: »
    Also, Haggis, you might check out this extension:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/636

It gives you a choice of what to do whenever you click a PDF link.
    Ah, thanks a bunch, that should come in very helpful! :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.