SecuROM

edited June 2010 in Game Support
So, are you guys going to release a patch to remove this garbage from the game in the future?
I thought installing from my DVD would be a nice convenient way to play through the game again, how wrong I was.

Comments

• edited September 2007
    what is the problem you are having
  • edited September 2007
    I think they're referring to the fact you can't play the DVD version of the game without the DVD in your PC. A minor inconvenience for such high-quality entertainment, but obviously it'd be more user-friendly without it.
  • edited September 2007
    I too am having problems with SecuROM deciding that I have something called EZ-Play installed on my computer.
    http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=emu&c=14000
    I've checked extensively and cannot find any such program.

Unfortunately I was unable to find any cracks available to get the game running.

Should I just download a torrent with a pirated copy of the game so I can actually play the game I shelled $35 for or does anyone know of any solutions to this?
  • edited September 2007
    how about playing the game with the disc in the computer (i know it is a hassle to open a case open a cd drive put the disc in the drive and close it (sarcasm)) and disable ezplay (whatever that is)

or use the download versions if you bought the disc from telltale
  • edited September 2007
    I like using the DVD version as there is a awesome splash screen where you select which episode you want to play. I'm easily amused.
  • edited September 2007
    patters wrote: »
    how about playing the game with the disc in the computer (i know it is a hassle to open a case open a cd drive put the disc in the drive and close it (sarcasm)) and disable ezplay (whatever that is)

or use the download versions if you bought the disc from telltale

Hi. Thank you for NOT READING THAT PERSON'S POST. :rolleyes:

He said it SAID that there was some thing called EZPlay but it was WRONG. He COULD be wrong himself, but.... Let's not start from that assumption. Because that's just being a pompous jerk.
  • edited September 2007
    EZPlay is part of the Blindwrite suite and obviously included in the stupid blacklist of securom. The problem with securom is that it's too "aggressive". Even if you have installed one of the blacklisted programs and unistalled it, securom might still detect it if it has left some trash behind (registry entries for example).
  • edited September 2007
    I have no idea why it won't play. I put the DVD in my drive, run the program and get the following message:
    A required security module cannot be activated.
    This program cannot be executed (5016).

Please have a look at http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=module&c=5016 for further, more detailed information.

This link says I have a File monitoring program running, but I have no idea what it is talking about unless it means Google Desktop or Norton Antivirus and I'm not disabling Norton Antivirus to run a game.
  • edited September 2007
    Hm... stupid securom with blacklisted programs.
    It can be anything. A debugger, an Antivirus, a cd-copy program, even some Task Manager replacement. The list seems to be big. Literally everything that securom thinks you could use to mess with the game. I'm afraid the only solution is to try to find the program securom doesn't like.
  • edited September 2007
    I managed to get it to run after a reboot, but since I don't want to reboot every time I want to play the game I uninstalled the DVD version and installed the downloaded version I already had.

I thought the DVD version would be easier to install (and it was), but it's a pain in the ass to have to find the DVD every time I want to play (especially on a laptop) and I don't like SecuROM.
  • edited September 2007
    Just out of curiosity, you guys arent using virtual drive programs? I mean...it sounds stupid to ask but...

Im not too worried because mine works fine...but I dont think its going to go away any time soon...
  • edited September 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try removing Blindwrite at some point and see if that clears things up.
    Just so we're clear; I was trying with the DVD in the actual drive. Although I had to use my secondary drive as SecuRom seemed to dislike my primary DVD drive.

I actually solved the problem in a rather simple way; I installed the game on a friends computer and we're playing through it together now. Saves him buying a copy :p .

Fun fact too; my friends computer is loaded with dozens of hacks and is running a number of virtual drives yet SecuRom doesn't detect any of these.

I think it would be a fitting joke to make an image of the DVD and run it on that computer just to prove how effective SecuRom is...
  • edited September 2007
    i cant say much but lets put it this way.. I can run any game.. original or not.. period.
    SecurRom esp the new one can be a beeeyatch but a few tools and your good to go.
    I dont know how telltale feels about using these tools but I figure as long as you bought the game and are not trying to use it to distribute it. You do NOT need to dl a whole new version of the game from the net. Just make a copy of yours and if you do it right it will work like an original :P
    I do it to all the games I dont want to get scratched.
    Just a heads up.

and in the end no protection is truly effective... this is the main force behind the "remove this crap" movement. Just google two things
    "Petition to remove secuRom"
    "SecuRom problems"

See how many things float up... anyway I understand the reason behind it but everyone knows its just a waste of time and hinders performance. On almost every game that has protection I either remove it or side track it.. either way its not running when the machine or game start

Starforce at a time was worse... until we figured out you can just disable ide channels and get past it ;)
    weee
    Ok anyway I wanna know whose decision it was to put this protection on?
    It really does effect games.. luckily sam and max isnt to needy spec wise so you wont see as many problems. Unlike say Neverwinter nights 2 for example.
    (most games have patches that end up removing the protection.. so again why waste the time and money to put it on (yes it does cost money to use securom))

Buy what you like .. throw the rest away...and never ever use original discs. Thats my motto
    (dont want to seem like a pirater... when I say never use originals I mean copy the ones you legally bought and run those to not damage the originals!)
  • edited June 2010
    i have just got the same from installing the program off the site!! I have a bonefide copy installed in Windows XP and it won't start giving me this error:

A required security module cannot be activated. This program cannot be executed (5016)

I need this protection why, on a downloaded game?
This discussion has been closed.