sloa-check.com

edited October 2012 in Site Support
Hi, Telltale Forum Tech Staff,

Something that caught my attention today is a reference on every page of the forums to www.sloa-check.com/check.php, which is currently not resolving (it's a 404). That is currently making each page fail to load completely until it times out.

That by itself is just a nuisance, but it got me looking. The sloa-check.com was last registered on August 6, 2012, and the contact is listed as someone in Cambodia. The reference on the forum pages is a JavaScript tag listing the above check.php as the source.

When you reference an outside site inside a script tag, whoever controls that site can do anything they want to your web pages. In case it isn't obvious, I found this information a bit alarming. Do you have any information on this? Can this script tag be easily removed?

Thanks.

Comments

• edited September 2012
    A quick Google search turned up another vBulletin forum where someone was having a problem with sloa-check.com triggering a malicious website alarm in his antivirus. This is a bit concerning.

I did a quick check and found that this is only turning up on the forums and not the rest of the Telltale Games site, so at least there's that.

Also, I normally browse with the NoScript extension, and I noticed that when I add an exception for sloa-check.com, pages on the forums no longer want to finish loading while the browser waits on sloa-check.com, presumably because of the 404.

I'll keep an eye out on this one. If it doesn't get addressed, I'll make sure to bring it to someone's attention.
  • edited September 2012
    The 404 is more responsive this morning, so it isn't affecting forum speed, but it's still there.

I wonder if this is possibly driving the recent spambot attacks in some way. Whoever owns that link can use it to measure forum traffic, and direct spambots at the sites with the most. Just speculation, of course, but more motivation to get rid of it if you can.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2012
    The web guys are taking a look at this.
  • edited October 2012
    Thanks for calling this to our attention! We found the culprit, nixed the rogue code, and have remedied the issue. We should be completely "sloa-check" free now, but if anything crops up please let us know.

Cheers!
    The Web Dudes
  • edited October 2012
    Looks like it's gone! Thanks! I'll feel less nervous now.
This discussion has been closed.