Tell me about your [Un]Installing Experiences

SegSeg
edited September 2007 in General Chat
Your friendly neighborhood build & distribution engineer would like some input from you all.

I'd like your input on your install and uninstall experiences. This is basically points between download (or disk inserting) and launching the game, plus the uninstall process. What works? What doesn't? What would you like to see in the [un]install process? Comments for all games Telltale produces are welcome!

I'm trying to see what I can do to make the experience better for all of you. This way I can take the time to get the job done right before Season Two rolls around. There are quite a few changes I've already made to our installers since I started in May. The Sam & Max DVD/CD and recently created Bone CDs have my handy work in them. But feel free to comment on older installs like Season One downloads. The worst I can say is that the feature is already put in.

Goes without saying, but I can't guarantee suggestions will make it into production. However, they will be read by me, and that should be worth something. Also, for specific support issues, please head over to the support sub-forums or our support page. We can help with support issues a lot more efficiently there.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Comments

• edited September 2007
    I haven't actually had a need to uninstall any game yet, but I really hate it when the games don't get rid of everything, and just leave empty folders lying around on your computer. So if the Telltale games do that (no idea), that really needs to be imrpoved. If it doesn't do that, great! :D
  • jmmjmm
    edited September 2007
    * An unified autorun.exe file. The S&M DVD has three files: one to determine if the Season was installed (and load the apropiate launcher), one launcher if it was and one if it doesn't.

* Include DirectX (latest build)

* Mute mode: It is nice to have a sound for launching and/or clicking, but that can be made an option

* Previous version warning/uninstall: If S&M downloadables were found, a warning should be displayed allowing the option to automatically uninstall (if the user clicked yes, of course)

* Not install/uninstall but still.... more extras.
  • edited September 2007
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't DirectX up the file download size by around 50MB or something, or are we just talking the disc version?
  • jmmjmm
    edited September 2007
    Disc versions only
  • edited September 2007
    More Extras? We already pretty much filled a dual layer DVD... I don't think we could physically get more extras on there :(
  • jmmjmm
    edited September 2007
    :D Just asking... if it can't be done, well not a problem.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2007
    jmm wrote: »
    * An unified autorun.exe file. The S&M DVD has three files: one to determine if the Season was installed (and load the apropiate launcher), one launcher if it was and one if it doesn't.

This was a somewhat frustrating workaround to a few problems we had, and I'd very much like to not do it again... but I have to ask, why does it bother you? Unless you go rooting around in the disk's file structure, and are someone who is offended by the aesthetics of the \Autorun\ directory in an uncomfortable OCD way, what difference does it make how the autorun files are structured? There are 3 exes, yes, but the autorun experience should be transparent to the end user and appear the same as if there was just 1 file (unless, again, that end user deliberately goes digging around and finds 3 files).
  • edited September 2007
    Okay, here's is my absolute only gripe, it's with the download process, when the game is release and you get the little EXE to download the game, I would like before the the thing actually starts downloading, it should ask you where to put, rather than throwing it in the default download folder on C:. I use my second harddrive for all my games, so going into C: for anything at all is kind of a hastle.
  • edited September 2007
    The newest versions of the download manager should do that, actually. That particular piece of software is outside our control, unfortunately :(
  • edited September 2007
    Well, I installed, played episode two, and uninstalled(Disk space crisis), and no problems. One odd thing, though, is that it asked "Are you sure you want to completely install bla bla..." BEFORE it asked if I wanted to keep my saved games. Quite odd, in my opinion.

And if we're doing feature requests, could we have those concept art pieces in a DVD gallery, as opposed to a movie? The music is nice, but maybe that could be sorted elsewhere, too?

Just my ideas. :)

-Kedri
  • edited September 2007
    This really isn't the thread for DVD feature requests :(
  • edited September 2007
    Oh, hehe, never mind. :D
  • SegSeg
    edited September 2007
    For DirectX, we don't include it in the download installs since the extra +62mb install is over half the download size of the game itself. The games fit DirectX 8 and above, which has always been included in Windows XP since it's release. If I remember correctly, SP2 also includes DirectX 9.0c.

For the disk based versions, we honestly didn't think about including the install. The same DirectX 8 rules apply so having DirectX wouldn't be much of an issue. Still, this is something we'll have to look into for the next set of disks we release.

The thing about previous uninstalls between the downloaded and disk-based installs are save games. We erred to side on caution by leaving them alone. There are a few things that I'm putting in that will better detect and manage download vs. disk-based installs and how they work with each other. Overall I haven't put my mind around how to present the differences between disk and download versions to the user and deal with it accordingly. Guess that will be another thread in the future.
    Kedri wrote: »
    Well, I installed, played episode two, and uninstalled(Disk space crisis), and no problems. One odd thing, though, is that it asked "Are you sure you want to completely install bla bla..." BEFORE it asked if I wanted to keep my saved games. Quite odd, in my opinion.

I did redesign the uninstall process for disk'ed games this summer and all future installers. For stuff I made sometime after May, the installer will first present a welcome window where you hit 'Next' to start uninstalling. A dialogue box shows up asking if you want to keep the save games. I thought about having a checkbox in the welcome window deciding on save game status, but people pay more attention to dialogue boxes.
  • edited September 2007
    tabacco wrote: »
    More Extras? We already pretty much filled a dual layer DVD... I don't think we could physically get more extras on there :(

You could use a blu-ray disc...

Just kidding. :p
  • edited September 2007
    Ah Kih Yew.
  • edited September 2007
    This has been a federal message from the department of health and- Oh, right, it's an a, not an o...
  • jmmjmm
    edited September 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    This was a somewhat frustrating workaround to a few problems we had, and I'd very much like to not do it again... but I have to ask, why does it bother you? Unless you go rooting around in the disk's file structure, and are someone who is offended by the aesthetics of the \Autorun\ directory in an uncomfortable OCD way, what difference does it make how the autorun files are structured? There are 3 exes, yes, but the autorun experience should be transparent to the end user and appear the same as if there was just 1 file (unless, again, that end user deliberately goes digging around and finds 3 files).

Well, imagine this scenario: Autorun disabled
    Instruct the user to go to the autorun folder and run the autorun executable. There is a 2 in 3 chance of picking the wrong one (Ok, I know around 90% of the folks out there will know which one to pick, but thats not the point)

If there are technical limitations with the software you use to author the CDs/DVDs or the autorun programs, just drop the "selector" in the root directory and call it "autorun.exe"
  • SegSeg
    edited September 2007
    jmm wrote: »
    Well, imagine this scenario: Autorun disabled

Even with Autorun disabled, the disk drive icon will still have the Autorun function and operate the same way. What disabling Autorun does is prevent the computer from running the Autorun function when you insert the disk. The functionality is still there for you to use, just not automatically.

Not to mention that the default action when 2x clicking on a disk icon is to launch autorun, even with it disabled.

The real test is the 'Seg's Father' test. If my father can get to the functions of the disk, then we're good. My father's computer skills are at a level where he knows enough to get into trouble. With that, we're good.

This is different from the 'Seg's Mother' test which is the hardest lot check of all. The 'Seg's Mother' test starts with trying to get my mother to approach the computer in the first place...
  • jmmjmm
    edited September 2007
    Not to nitpick, but if you disable autoplay not even double clicking the icon works.
    And to make things 'better', the autorun menu items in the context menu are not displayed.

This is a screenshot of the context menu. Inserted is the Windows XP installation disk (I'm at work so I can't illustrate with the S&M DVD)

autorundisabled.png
  • SegSeg
    edited September 2007
    Just disabled autorun on a Windows XP SP2 machine here and stand corrected.

Turning Autorun off via TweakUI, the Telltale Season One disk will display the Play function for the DVD-Video playback, but nothing else. I wonder if putting in specific commands from the autorun.inf will still add the shell commands with autorun disabled. The disk icon does change to what the autorun.inf specifies regardless, so there's hope. Some things to play with in the future.
  • edited September 2007
    One thing I have a problem with is this:

I got the downloaded versions of the game and enjoyed them alot...but then when I got my disc I had no use for said versions and so uninstalled them...but the folders are left in the start menu and in the install folder...Its just annoying because most people on these forums would have a crapload of stuff on their computers and so having folders that are now redundant on the computer just a waste...plus you then have to go and delete them manually, which may not sound like much but is just an extra step that shouldnt have to be taken imo...actually now that I think about it this has been mentioned already, but I think I should put my weight behind it too...
  • SegSeg
    edited September 2007
    One thing I have a problem with is this:

...but the folders are left in the start menu and in the install folder...

This one is fixed for future installers including the current disk-based installers for both XP and Vista. For the current downloads, they'll still have the problem. But new titles from now on won't have this issue. Read on for more details.

The problem was our NSIS script wasn't clear on uninstalling shortcuts for all-users or local users. The old uninstallers are looking in the local user Start Menu to remove shortcuts. However, they were located in the All-users portion. Now and future installers specifically set the shortcuts to install and uninstall from the All-Users section of Start Menu shortcuts.

For Vista, I also fixed a problem where the installer was given permissions to add shortcuts to all-users, but wouldn't give permissions to the uninstaller to remove the shortcuts. Shocking that Vista has permission problems, I know.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.