Anyone getting this game? Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tributations

edited October 2007 in General Chat
Seems like the last installment of the Phoenix Wright arc in the Ace Attorney series is finally comming out in America next month. With that said, anyone planning to preorder the game? I heard that the Capcom and Gamestop preorder will include a Phoenix Wright Plush and the game itself will have english less typos than the japanese version.

pwplush.jpg

Having bought and beat the import (it has the option to make it english like the US release) a few days ago, I have to say that this is the best Phoenix Wright arc game so far. It also seems to finish off the Phoenix's story arc quite nicely, which I guess why they started with a new character in the fourth game; the third game focuses more on a certain character's background and with that said, is the most shocking game so far.

Not sure if l will get the US version just for the plush; it is damn tempting.

Comments

• edited September 2007
    While that plush is quite awesome, I wont be getting it...At least not preordering anyway...but I hope it is awesome because I really like the series and stuff...
  • edited September 2007
    While that plush is quite awesome, I wont be getting it...At least not preordering anyway...but I hope it is awesome because I really like the series and stuff...

As for the plush, you can probably order it and get it from Capcom when it is in stock. They seem to include preorder items with all their games months after it was released.

The game is pretty good since it more story driven as in the majority of the cases in AA3 relates to one another much like how the episodes are in the Sam and Max games.

The last case in trials and tributations is probably the best in the Phoenix Wright arc despite that one can question about the case.
  • edited September 2007
    I've only played the first one so far, but I thought Case 4 (Turnabout Goodbyes) was really well done, story and puzzle-wise. I had to feel really sorry for Edgeworth, all the way through the case, especially towards the end.
    I wish more developers would realise we need that sort of maturity in games, rather than "GORE SWEARS BEWBS" which seems to be the trend at the minute =/.
  • edited September 2007
    For the PW games, the last case are always the best; case 4 (Turnabout Goodbyes) is originally the final case for the first PW game. The fifth one (Rise to Ashes) is actually a new one that was made years after the first three games came out for the Gamboy Advance; it was a new case exclusively for the DS, which is why it contradicts the whole PW arc. When you play the other two PW games, forget what happens in Rise to Ashes since the PW 2 and PW3 is not updated to inluded the rectons that Rise to Ashes made. For instance, Edgeworth in case 5.

Even though it contradicts the the first three games, it however, is canon since some of the characters from that DS only case are in the fourth Ace Attorney game.

Sorry about replying to this topic, but I am currently obsessed with the series; I tend to do this with a game I just played and like. Once the fourth Ace Attorney game comes out globally, I will once again make another AA topic and make a bunch of comments.
  • edited September 2007
    Preordered it. But I already know that it is awesome.
  • edited September 2007
    I love the game, I beat the import copy a while back. Also I think you can buy the plushy online, I swear I saw it on court records.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2007
    I'm a little over 3/4 through an import copy of the game (The Japanese versions include a near-final English translation), and I've enjoyed it far more than the second game. The cases in Trials and Tribulations seem to be more connected and all have a reason to be in the game, while in the second one, half of them seemed like filler.
  • MelMel
    edited September 2007
    I preordered it (partly to get the plushie :)). I've only played Ace Attorney (and still need to complete case 5). I'm wondering if I should get And Justice For All? There's a lot of me that wants to just to see what happens to the characters.
  • edited September 2007
    I rarely pre-order games (only do it if it has something cool w/ it only when you pre-order) and I definitly pre-ordered thru the gamestop website when I saw it came w/ that plushie! :D

I pre-ordered the second one too when it was coming out (at store level), but Gamestop gypped me of the finger stylus. :/ I wanted to put that on my cell phone, dang it! I woulda ordered it thru capcom but I don't like buying the same game twice.

Needless to say I'm stoked can't wait for the 3rd to come out!

Mel: you should try to get Justice for All. If the 1st game's any indication it will probab;y reference some things from the previous games. And while you can play them w/o knowing beforehand, it would fill out some things and bring more to light.

Tho case 4 of that game is a must-see imo
    I know I felt gut-wrenched myself when I knew my client was in fact truly guilty of a crime and yet I'm being forced against my will to try to prove him innocent. Just trying to hold back my urge to present the proper evidence and bring the truth to light tore me up. I enjoyed it when he eventually got his comeuppance. :D
    But like others said, you can go ahead and do case 5 of the 1st, then forget most of the events as they do contradict stuff talked about during most of the cases in Justice (particularly a reveal in case 3 and what happens in case 4)
  • edited October 2007
    SADLY its ds.. and i have yet to get any new model anything due to the fact I cannot justify how they use such old tech in them. But the amount of games speak for themselves. That and sam & max hit the road works well on it :P
    edited October 2007
    You should get a PSP! It's nothing but cutting edge technology! ignore its complete lack of games, with the exception of Loco-Roco
  • edited October 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    You should get a PSP! It's nothing but cutting edge technology! ignore its complete lack of games, with the exception of Loco-Roco

Psshhh. PSP. Am I glad I decided to get the DS over that!
  • MelMel
    edited October 2007
    Kaldire wrote: »
    SADLY its ds.. and i have yet to get any new model anything due to the fact I cannot justify how they use such old tech in them. But the amount of games speak for themselves. That and sam & max hit the road works well on it :P

You could just get an older DS model. I got mine used for $80 at GameStop. It works wonderfully and I couldn't see spending $50 more just for a 'brighter screen' and something that was skinnier (and that I'd probably break :p). It's worth it for the games (both adventure and non).
  • edited October 2007
    But the screen is so much brighter! It really does make a difference, at least to me. I like that my DS is easily playable outdoors :)
  • edited October 2007
    When the DS Lite came out (on my birthday, no less!) I immiediatly made an upgrade (despite just getting my DS back in December) and I tell ya it's a world of difference in picture quality w/ that brighter light. Even a co-worker of mine who desn't even play video games kept commenting on how much better it looked.

Colors are more vibrant, you can actually see things you couldn't see before. it's just marvelous.

Also: concerning DS vs. PSP I was really on the fence on whether I'd actually get a PSP or not (I knew the DS was a lock for me. Just needed a game to come out that I really wanted to justify buying it. That and a price drop.). I personally thought the disc format (and a propitary format at that) for a portable was a risk and the price was too rich for my blood. But it jus looked so sleek and cool and could have some potential... eventually. :) But I was at a point where if a game that I really liked would have made me get it.

But then it was released....

And some people were complaining about how the right d-pad and square buttons could get stuck...

and someone opened one up and saw groves cut into the lcd screen edge to accomadate said right d-pad and square buttons, which, if they move too far over, could cause them to get stuck...

At first I thought. "ah. that's all right. something they could fix later. after all it was just launched. surely there were some flaws they failed to see and will rectify later."

Then Ken Katuragi opened his big mouth and stated: (may not be exact quote, but pretty close to it) "It was done that way on purpose. We didn't want to make the system any bigger or the screen any smaller. So get used to it."

When I read that I thought "What a moron." and felt quite insulted. From that point on I thought "'Get used to it?' All right. I'll 'get used to it'. And I'll tell you how I'll 'get used to it': I won't buy the thing. Ever. No matter what game comes out for it. THAT is how I'll 'get used to it'."

And to this day (and more than likely the foreseeable future) I've lived up to that promise. Course the system's line up of games helped in that aspect. :D The most that a game got to me (cept loco roco) was a mild intrigue. And whenever I even feel a slight intrest in a PSP game that quote comes to mind and dashes the thought away.

despite that tho I still support the PS2 and am considering a ps3 (mostly for games like MGS4 and FFXIII) but PS3 hasn't been bought yet because of the absurd price. And to a lesser extent some of sony's chatter about PS3. Tho I'm willing to chalk those to rambling of people who have lost contact with what the gamer's want while saying they still know what the gamer's want. :)
  • MelMel
    edited October 2007
    Well Doug and Dedlok, I'm a cheap bastardess right now. :p I'll bet it's a lot nicer to look at but it wasn't enough to entice me right now. :)
  • edited October 2007
    Reminder that this game comes out this week! :D

Can't wait!
  • edited October 2007
    Just got the second one after all the talk and frankly I'm not so enthralled by it as everyone seems to be. I'm not much for detective fiction in general unless it's very good, but apart from that I don't find the stories or characters so far to be very funny or interesting. It has its moments but ah to each his own I guess.
  • edited October 2007
    abdallah wrote: »
    Just got the second one after all the talk and frankly I'm not so enthralled by it as everyone seems to be. I'm not much for detective fiction in general unless it's very good, but apart from that I don't find the stories or characters so far to be very funny or interesting. It has its moments but ah to each his own I guess.

The first one is better than the second one. And the third one is better than the first one. I can also see how playing the second one first could cause you to feel less attached to the characters; you missed their introductions, after all.

Still, it's subjective. You don't have to like it :)
  • MelMel
    edited October 2007
    I preordered the third game so that should be shipping soon. I also got Justice for All. I know it's not quite as good as Ace Attorney but I really wanted to see what would happen with all the characters.
  • edited October 2007
    Justice for All is fun, don't get me wrong. It's just not a great starting point to the series.
    edited October 2007
    Honestly, if Justice for All doesn't do it for you but you like the Phoenix Wright games in general, you only need to really play through the first two cases in that game before moving to the (far superior) third game.
  • edited October 2007
    Hmm maybe I should trade it in and get the first game.. Seems there's some story I've missed out on. I don't know, I'm not entirely sold on the whole concept.
  • edited October 2007
    I just got the DS Lite a little over a week ago, and have played through "Another code: Two Memories" plus "Hotel Dusk: Room 215".
    Great games!
    Now I'm sitting here impatiently waiting for the two Phoenix Wright games to arrive.
    Shipping date has been pushed a whole week. Hrmph!
    Ohh and also waiting for "Mystery Detective" and "Touch Detective ½"
  • edited October 2007
    Ya. This is a really story based game. It may not seem like it at 1st but there is an overarching story to the series and jumping in the midle is going to leave you kinda confused and not like it as much. :)

I dunno about trading 2 in to get 1 tho. But if that's what you feel you have to do, then do so.

And in relation to what jake said, while 3 is pretty much throw away (but intresting in crime execution, even tho I figured out the overall method right away, just didn't know who or why. :)) Case 4 imo is kinda big too as it has the return of a character from the 1st game and a little forced realization to Phoenix.
    I might have said it before but I'll say it again. :D But I know I was wracked w/ anguish knowing that my client was basically guilty and yet I was being forced to prove him innocent. Quite a thrill and was different

Incidentally, I played through Touch Detecive 2 1/2 and while better than the 1st, still weak compared to Ace Attorney :D
  • edited October 2007
    Honestly, if Justice for All doesn't do it for you but you like the Phoenix Wright games in general, you only need to really play through the first two cases in that game before moving to the (far superior) third game.

Actually, the final case is quite important as well, as it introduces some important characters and brings back some MORE important ones...
  • MelMel
    edited October 2007
    I really like the psyche locks in the cases and I especially love...

pearl.jpg
  • edited October 2007
    Where can I download that game?
  • edited October 2007
    You can buy it at a store or online.
  • edited October 2007
    What is that games offical web site? If the game doesn't have an offical web site, then where can I see some screen shots or gameplay videos?
    edited October 2007
    Actually, the final case is quite important as well, as it introduces some important characters and brings back some MORE important ones...

who the heck is introduced in the final case of Justice For All that is relevant to the third game?
  • edited October 2007
    Adrian Andrews, for one, although she's fairly minor.

By the way, the official site is here: http://www.ace-attorney.com/
  • MelMel
    edited October 2007
    Where can I download that game?

It's also a Nintendo DS game so there aren't even any legal downloads available for it.
  • edited October 2007
    who the heck is introduced in the final case of Justice For All that is relevant to the third game?
    Adrian Andrews. She appears in Case 3-2. Not to mention that it explains
    Edgeworth's disappearance and reappearance

Besides, 2-4 is one of my favorite cases of the whole series. It's just 2-3 that feels like unnecessary filler...
  • edited October 2007
    Well, I'm up to trial day 2 of Case 5 in PW3.
    Is it just me or is Phoenix a magnet for women of the Fey Bloodline? lol He can't shake a stick without hitting one. Even an ex-girlfriend (tho one sided) of his was one
    But I'm glad that at least Maya gets to see her mom again. But (at least where I'm at, they're making it seem like she "kills" her (tho probably while posessed)

But I agree w/ cyber. Case 4 of PW 2 is one of my faves.

Tho at 2st when I browsed the FAQs for this one I was surprised that
    the longest these cases go is 2 days which made me think "this game is short!"
    but then while playing it
    the cases seem really really long. lol
    (these may not be considered spoilers but I thought I should just in case.

But dear god, 1 case has the most femine looking man I've seen (and I read lots of manga, watch a lot of anime, and play a lot of Japanese games), and then the next case gayest looking guy I've ever seen. lol
Sign in to comment in this discussion.