season 1 dvd rom game (and general thoughts about disc checks)

edited October 2007 in General Chat
i am just wondering do you still need the cd roms of each of the games to play the whole of season 1 because i read in a review ocz it said

and the interface to access them is not as creative as you may have hoped. In addition, the entire season uses a glut of hard disk space but still requires the CD-ROM in order to play

does that mean i need the cd roms to play the season 1 collect or can i get them all from the dvd rom

thanks

Comments

• edited September 2007
    The disc from Telltale's online store uses a DVD-rom. The one in retail stores like Wal-mart is a CD-rom. Whichever disc you use, you need to have that disc in your drive to play the game. Basically.
  • edited September 2007
    But it's just to authenticate the game. it doesn't pull data from the disc past the launch of it.
  • edited September 2007
    It also doesn't really use a glut of space. My entire TellTale install folder clocks in at 1.37 Gigabytes. Nowadays that ain't so much. John Woo's Stranglehold looks to require a minimum of 15 Gigs! Even 2 Gigs doesn't seem too big a footprint anymore. And as for still requiring the disk, meh, as long as it runs smooth I don't care where it draws its data from.
  • edited September 2007
    15 gigs??? Thats why I buy games on consoles (unless its PC only like S&M)...

Either way, I dont mind too much either...The DVD looks cool as well...swirly...
  • edited September 2007
    15 gigs??? Thats why I buy games on consoles (unless its PC only like S&M)...

Either way, I dont mind too much either...The DVD looks cool as well...swirly...

Games are becoming bigger in size, but at the same time people's hard drives are coming bigger.
  • edited September 2007
    Games are becoming bigger in size, but at the same time people's hard drives are coming bigger.
    Unless they can't afford upgrading every year. My HDD is only 80gb :( Including my mp3s I could only install about 2 Stranglehold games and nothing more
  • edited September 2007
    Terabyte, 1,000 Gig, drives are now pretty common options on prebuilt machines. Give it two or three years, at most, and they'll be standard.

My main drive is only 75 Gig but I have never dropped below about 10 Gig of free space, which is usually due to the fact that I don't kepp many games installed for long periods of time, except SNM, Half Life series, and Freelancer.
  • edited September 2007
    Dedlok wrote: »
    But it's just to authenticate the game. it doesn't pull data from the disc past the launch of it.
    Yes, and I'm not too thrilled with that either. Ever since the days of the Commodore 64 I've hated the need to insert a "key disk" because of the chances of the key disk (or in this case key disc) failing, getting lost/stolen, etc.

So, I bought the entire season as a downloadable, and then I paid for the DVD (and some other goodies) when it was available. The family just went to Baltimore this weekend and I refuse to bring any original media when I travel. Lo and behold, the Sam and Max DVD has that @!%#ing SecuROM copy protection on it, so I couldn't even successfully use an image of the DVD either!

D*mn it! I am so sick and tired of being treated like a potential criminal for media that I've legally purchased!

"Hey, thanks for buying our software, but because we don't trust you worth a d*mn we're going to make sure that you lose your Fair Use rights. But we appreciate you spending your money on our products anyway. Please enjoy our game as well as being treated like a potential criminal even though we know that the copy protection will be broken in a matter of days or weeks anyway by those people who don't give a rat's rear end about the law."

Sorry for the rant, but this issue has been a pet peeve of mine for a l-o-n-g time.
  • edited September 2007
    Disc-check sure is annoying. That's why I haven't used the DVD for playing yet. On the other hand, I would rather have a disc with SecuRom than no disc at all. The disc was more like a free giveaway for the downloadable episodes.
    I still hope the S2 discs (telltale and retail versions) won't have any protection, since it hinders piracy only to a small degree and is a nuisance to the customers. But if telltale sticks to protecting their discs, then so be it.
    Col_Shaggy wrote: »
    Terabyte, 1,000 Gig, drives are now pretty common options on prebuilt machines.

I would rather call it "available" then "common".. :D
  • edited September 2007
    The disc has some really awesome splash screens/episode selection menus. I love it. :D
  • edited September 2007
    My pet-peeve:

I really don't understand why people have such a big issue with disc-checks. Sure, it sometimes IS annoying, but come on, it does not warrant a rant on how we are being treated like criminals?

Personally I think it's a GOOD thing to require the disc. I usually don't play more than 3 games on my PC at a given time and if I did not need the CD/DVD for each one, it would probably be a matter of time before I lose the disc in my room only to find it 5 years from now when my deca-annual room cleaning happens :P. Requiring me to insert the disc every time forces me to keep it close. See it as natural selection: games I play the most often stays on the top of my pile. Games that suck naturally follows my missing socks.
  • edited September 2007
    ahh, i see. so it is meant to protect the game..not from being pirated, but from being lost..nice. ;)
  • edited September 2007
    fhqwhgads wrote: »
    My pet-peeve:

I really don't understand why people have such a big issue with disc-checks. Sure, it sometimes IS annoying, but come on, it does not warrant a rant on how we are being treated like criminals?

Personally I think it's a GOOD thing to require the disc. I usually don't play more than 3 games on my PC at a given time and if I did not need the CD/DVD for each one, it would probably be a matter of time before I lose the disc in my room only to find it 5 years from now when my deca-annual room cleaning happens :P. Requiring me to insert the disc every time forces me to keep it close. See it as natural selection: games I play the most often stays on the top of my pile. Games that suck naturally follows my missing socks.

Well some of us like to keep the place clean and stuff, so this sort of thing doesnt happen, and therefore disk checking is merely an annoyance...plus there is the inevitable wear-and-tear on the disc...just another of the reasons why console gaming rocks compared to PC's...now that I think about it...if telltale could somehow put sam and max on consoles that would be awesome...more specifically, on consoles that I own...XD
  • edited September 2007
    Well some of us like to keep the place clean and stuff, so this sort of thing doesnt happen, and therefore disk checking is merely an annoyance...plus there is the inevitable wear-and-tear on the disc...just another of the reasons why console gaming rocks compared to PC's...now that I think about it...if telltale could somehow put sam and max on consoles that would be awesome...more specifically, on consoles that I own...XD

Erm, what? How does "wear-and-tear" (which doesn't happen to me) on the discs differ from PC to console.
  • edited September 2007
    I hear the 360 can leave a pretty nasty ring-shaped scratch on the disc if you move it while playing. I'm guessing wear and tear would be the same.

I bothers me that I can't make a legal copy of a game I own. What's wrong with using a copy of the disc to play and keeping the original nice and shiny? I also don't want to move around original discs with my laptop. That's why only games that I can play using a copy get installed on my laptop.

Maybe all games should be downloadable with a simple painless authentication ala Telltale's downloadble games :D
  • edited September 2007
    Maybe everyone just do away with all this copy un-protection. Name a single retail game with copy protection that has not been pirated. Exactly.

I'm sure there's some barely known game somewhere that has not been pirated, but any game with any interest at all has been pirated. Copy protection does nothing to stop that. This is why I feel no shame in using No-CD cracks on any game I buy.
  • jmmjmm
    edited September 2007
    Civ2boss wrote: »
    Maybe everyone just do away with all this copy un-protection. Name a single retail game with copy protection that has not been pirated. Exactly.

I'm sure there's some barely known game somewhere that has not been pirated, but any game with any interest at all has been pirated. Copy protection does nothing to stop that. This is why I feel no shame in using No-CD cracks on any game I buy.

In an ideal world, I'd love to encourage people to buy my product for its quality and give them some benefits to do so. It had worked for small companies, but unfortunaly most companies do the opposite: bother paying customers with checks and double checks treating a customer like a criminal first and giving them squat for quality of service (e.g.: support) and no real benefit to buy the product (and not pirate it) in the first place.

But following your logic, cars do not need car keys - just replace the ignition with a push button - because you can start (and steal!) a car by hot wiring some cables.

Software is still a product, just like a box of cereal (a very complex cereal :)). If you have a store, would you leave your goods unattended or even outside your store?

And there is another issue: Investors and shareholders. Would you invest in a company that does nothing to prevent theft? Or that does not try to maximize profit by minimizing loses? I know that a pirated copy is a lost sale per se, but still some sales are lost due to piracy.

Until mainstream software companies decide to reward their paying customers, I don't see copy-protection going away.
  • edited September 2007
    jmm wrote: »
    But following your logic, cars do not need car keys - just replace the ignition with a push button - because you can start (and steal!) a car by hot wiring some cables.

I think it's not quite the same. First thing is you can't simply hotwire a modern car anymore and it's not just because of the security measures. When messing with the wires you may trigger the airbags or something if you're not careful.
    Hotwiring a car can't be done by anybody, just like cracking copyprotection, but you can aquire tools or allready cracked software quite easy. You can't just buy stolen cars on every corner. And of course, cars can't be duplicated as much as you like.

The point being: Most copy-protection measures just don't have the effect they're supposed to have. I've never heard anybody say: "I wanted to copy this game, but it has cd-check, so I'm going to buy it then."
    But I have seen people wasting whole stacks of cd-r to get a running copy of a protected game, butthat was one of the better examples of copy-protection.

Also, stealing a car is considered a serious crime and somehow copying games or other software usually isn't considered criminal at all.

At the moment I don't think most copy-protection measures aren't worth the effort of implying them, so you could also spent the time in making the product more attractive to actual customers.

Damn, I just wanted to write a small comment. Sorry..
  • jmmjmm
    edited September 2007
    wisp wrote: »
    I think it's not quite the same. First thing is you can't simply hotwire a modern car anymore and it's not just because of the security measures. When messing with the wires you may trigger the airbags or something if you're not careful.
    Hotwiring a car can't be done by anybody, just like cracking copyprotection, but you can aquire tools or allready cracked software quite easy. You can't just buy stolen cars on every corner. And of course, cars can't be duplicated as much as you like.

Drifting the issue, but anyway: I was not saying that hotwiring is that simple. Also cracking a protection scheme is not that simple either (unless you refer to download and patch)
    The point being: Most copy-protection measures just don't have the effect they're supposed to have. I've never heard anybody say: "I wanted to copy this game, but it has cd-check, so I'm going to buy it then."
    But I have seen people wasting whole stacks of cd-r to get a running copy of a protected game, butthat was one of the better examples of copy-protection.
    Agreed
    Also, stealing a car is considered a serious crime and somehow copying games or other software usually isn't considered criminal at all.
    Strongly disagree. Making a backup copy is a legal right in some places (but not all places), but copying software for any other reason is a serious crime.
    At the moment I don't think most copy-protection measures aren't worth the effort of implying them, so you could also spent the time in making the product more attractive to actual customers.
    I agree with the second half of your statement, as for the copy-protection worth value it all depends on what you are selling and who your clients are.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2007
    I'm going to transfer this thread to the general forum since it's veered off into general territory...

Personally I don't really get why people are upset by disc checks. A lot of the games I play require them and it has never bothered me.
  • edited September 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    I'm going to transfer this thread to the general forum since it's veered off into general territory...

Personally I don't really get why people are upset by disc checks. A lot of the games I play require them and it has never bothered me.

Basically all my games require disc check. I've never thought different.
  • edited September 2007
    Ankh Heart Of Osiris doesn't use a disk check. Instead, they include a physical codewheel in the CD ROM box so that you need to code wheel to play it, and the code wheel is very hard to copy. Also, the puzzle with the codewheel is at the begining of the game.
  • edited September 2007
    Instead, they include a physical codewheel in the CD ROM box so that you need to code wheel to play it, and the code wheel is very hard to copy. Also, the puzzle with the codewheel is at the begining of the game.

Ahh that takes me back to the days of Monkey Island on Amiga. I never did find that codewheel.
  • edited September 2007
    Emily wrote: »

I don't mind disc checks, until they cause problems that is. I still remember when I got Broken Sword 4, and it kept crashing at random because of problems it claimed was with SecuROM. Then when I installed new graphics drivers, it stoped crashing. The funny thing is, I later got the problem again. Just to find out if it would fix it, I installed a no-DVD patch. Lo and behold, it no longer crashed. I still have no idea why SecuROM would care what graphics drivers I got, but apparently it does.

Also, it can be quite annoying when SecuROM claims your PC got some nasty programs running, when you know it is clean. Being prevented from playing a game, when you have only pure intentions, is quite the slap in the face.

Beside, I don't like it when such protectings try to take away my legal right to take backups of my software(to protect my investments). Even though there are cracks out there, it shouldn't be needed for me to apply cracks to games when I make personal copies. Games are often not like music or movies, which can often be re-bought many years after it's original release. Often it can be hard to re-buy a game 5 or 10 years after it was released, so that makes protecting ones investments even more important.

But until some of those situations occures, I don't have a problem with such protections. Too bad that no media lives forever, so sooner or later I will probably find out what kind of problems SecuROM will cause me when more of my discs are old and covered in scratches...
  • OMAOMA
    edited September 2007
    Actually, I did have problems with the SecuROM protection in the Sam&Max Season 1 DVD. It gave an error and a link to a page in the official SecuROM site (www.securom.com) with instructions on how to correct the problem, that included modifying some entries in the Windows registry, which some people doesn't know how to do or can be afraid to do. A computer novice that just wants to play the game would have been unable to play.

Why do we have to put up with that? Copy protection only gives problems to people who buy the game! People who wants a pirate copy of the game can already download the pack with the whole S&M Season 1 DVD plus a crack from torrent sites! (you can check!). And since the copy protection is removed by the crack, those people will be able to play the game without a single problem! Isn't that ironic?

Sorry for the rant. This is not a problem exclusive to Telltale, but to any game company that decides to put useless and annoying copy protection systems in their games (Ubisoft is notable for this!). I'm sick of malfunctioning copy protections. They only make people stop buying games, since it's the pirated games that work best with no problems at all!! (not that I'll stop buying Telltale's games because of this, since the DVD was an added bonus to the downloaded episodes, which worked fine, and I want to continue supporting you guys/girls, but I'm just pointing out how stupid copy protections are)
  • edited October 2007
    Why copy-protection is/could be annoying?
    1. Doesn't really protect the game; anyone that wants to steal games already know how to.
    2. Unlocking the protection might break sometime in the future; no company can really guarantee that they will still be around forever from now.
    3. I might just lose the disc and/or the code to unlock it; the protection will prevent me from backing up the disc so even if I have the code it'll be useless.

I'm sure there may be more but that's all I can think of at the moment. Those reasons alone are good enough for me anyway.
  • jmmjmm
    edited October 2007
    Why locks in doors are/could be annoying?
    1. Doesn't really protect anything behind the door; anyone that want to steal that already know how to.
    2. Unlocking a door might break something; no company can really garantee that they will still be around forever from now.
    3. I might just lose the key; the protection will prevent me from accessing whats behind the door so even if I know that that is my door it'll be useless.

The problem with not using any kind of lock on software is that is too tempting and easy to get it illegally. Of course a large chunk knows how to break the lock, but at least a lock prevents casual whould-be thieves (Yes, to me pirates are thieves... after all I'm in the software business)

Consider this: if you are at a <insert_whatever_treat_you_like_here> store, there is nobody around, there are no cameras, guards, shop staffers or other people around and you find a <insert_whatever_treat_you_like_here> lying around, just within range. It smells great, it looks awesome, your tongue just want to taste a piece of it....would you pick it up and eat it?

If you say yes (I don't blame you), would you do the same if you knew a camera is filming you (or a guard/staffer is nearby)?

----
    Amazingly, there are folks that would take the piece of <insert_whatever_treat_you_like_here> in front of a guard and successfully eat it. A few of those will take more than one piece, probably eat one and give (or sell) the other pieces.
  • edited October 2007
    jmm wrote: »
    Why locks in doors are/could be annoying?
    1. Doesn't really protect anything behind the door; anyone that want to steal that already know how to.
    2. Unlocking a door might break something; no company can really garantee that they will still be around forever from now.
    3. I might just lose the key; the protection will prevent me from accessing whats behind the door so even if I know that that is my door it'll be useless.

The problem with not using any kind of lock on software is that is too tempting and easy to get it illegally. Of course a large chunk knows how to break the lock, but at least a lock prevents casual whould-be thieves (Yes, to me pirates are thieves... after all I'm in the software business)

Consider this: if you are at a <insert_whatever_treat_you_like_here> store, there is nobody around, there are no cameras, guards, shop staffers or other people around and you find a <insert_whatever_treat_you_like_here> lying around, just within range. It smells great, it looks awesome, your tongue just want to taste a piece of it....would you pick it up and eat it?

If you say yes (I don't blame you), would you do the same if you knew a camera is filming you (or a guard/staffer is nearby)?

----
    Amazingly, there are folks that would take the piece of <insert_whatever_treat_you_like_here> in front of a guard and successfully eat it. A few of those will take more than one piece, probably eat one and give (or sell) the other pieces.

See that's not a great analogy, because you can make another set of keys. At the very least you can request another set of keys which is just as good. Software protections on the other hand prevents you from doing this very sort of thing, and they don't even admit this is or should be fair use.

When I buy something, I shouldn't have the same feeling of renting it. I should have a reasonable assumption that it will last as long as I want it. If I am locked out of my house there is at least services I can use to get back in my house. If I lose my CD key who can I rely on? Especially if the company that produced it is out of business?

And protecting a physical thing and a software thing is a totally different matter. A physical thing you pretty much have one of, if you lose it...poof...it is gone. A software I should at least be able to keep several copies of it, but the very protection (for the provider not for the consumer) prevents me from doing so. And since you mention casual users, would a casual user know to find a crack that allows them to backup the game?

Protection on a disc is protection for the producer not the consumer, protection on a door is for the consumer not the producer. It's all about the fair uses.
  • edited October 2007
    Civ2boss wrote: »
    See that's not a great analogy, because you can make another set of keys. At the very least you can request another set of keys which is just as good. Software protections on the other hand prevents you from doing this very sort of thing, and they don't even admit this is or should be fair use.

When I buy something, I shouldn't have the same feeling of renting it. I should have a reasonable assumption that it will last as long as I want it. If I am locked out of my house there is at least services I can use to get back in my house. If I lose my CD key who can I rely on? Especially if the company that produced it is out of business?

Protection on a disc is protection for the producer not the consumer, protection on a door is for the consumer not the producer. It's all about the fair uses.

Exactly. Copy protection is in and of itself a statement that we as paying customers are not to be trusted. The company is automatically assuming that we are ready to hand out copies of the game to anyone around us. The only people that on-disc copy protection inconveniences is the legitimate consumer who wants nothing more that to protect the item was was legally purchased.

It's pretty sad that in order to protect what I've legally purchased I have to resort to an illegal crack to get past a copy protection that does not stop the real pirates from distributing it anyway. If we were pirates, the copy protection is meaningless because we wouldn't have bought the game and would have instead downloaded a cracked version. If we buy the game, the copy protection is meaningless because we're obviously not pirates - we bought the game! In either case the copy protection is irrelevant. Yet when the legal path is taken the person who legally purchased the media is the one who gets screwed in the end.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.