Does Sam & Max Season 1 have subtitles?

edited September 2007 in Sam & Max
I am a Spanish player, and since it seems that there isn't going to be a translation of the game, I was wondering, if at least it has text (subtitles in english). I don't wanna miss any jokes!!!

Comments

• edited September 2007
    Jowood has realased an european retail, so I think there's also a spanish version of the game! Look at your habitual online stores, or ask your favorite sellers :p
  • edited September 2007
    And to answer your subtitle question: Yes. And they helped me a lot, too. :)
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2007
    English subtitles, yes.

Spanish subtitles, no. JoWood did release the game with Spanish packaging, but not with a Spanish translation.
  • edited September 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    English subtitles, yes.

Spanish subtitles, no. JoWood did release the game with Spanish packaging, but not with a Spanish translation.

You know, that's sort of stupid, why would they do that, I figure trasnlating Subtitles would be the first step to release in other countries.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2007
    I don't know why they did it, but apparently it's somewhat common to localize only the packaging in countries where a lot of people understand English. The Dutch localization of Bone is in English with Dutch packaging, and when I asked a Dutch friend he said it happens a lot.
  • edited September 2007
    Yes, quite right. No matter how fluent you are it always takes a bit of mental energy to read a foreign language. It's barely noticeable and well spent on a game you like (and dutch mostly don't even want dubbing) but not so much on mere advertising. Having to sift through english advertising blurbs in the game store would be needlessly tiresome and annoying.
    Not to mention that putting a layer of removal between an ad and the customer is always suboptimal.
  • edited September 2007
    Actually... there's a lot of difference between countries accustomed to translation & dubbing (such as Germany, France, Italy, Spain) and the rest of the European countries.
    Dutch or Swedish players don't care for translations, whereas gamers from Italy, Germany, French, Spain do. To put it straight: it's tradition.
    In Italy every single movie or tv show is translated AND dubbed and - as far as I know - the same rule applies to Spain, France and Germany. I bet that Spanish people who live in the Americas understand English quite well, but I wouldn't bet on Spaniards who live in Spain....

You should really try to understand more about JoWood's politics about localizations: I think piracy in our markets had a big part in their decision to penalize the Italian and the Spanish versions. I'm afraid culture has nothing to do with that. ;) As a matter of fact, German and French people understand English way better than us. :p

BTW, my PERSONAL opinion is that listening to games in their original language versions is always a better experience (AND a learning experience if you want to train your English). I am just pointing out that the Italian and Spanish versions will have big problems in our markets.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.