Telltale Games has encountered a problem and needs to close.

edited October 2012 in Game Support
When I went to play The Walking Dead today, it told me that the game needed to be "converted into a new more efficient format". After that was complete, the game would not run, and gave me the title error. I tried checking the game cache, nothing wrong there. I tried rebooting steam. No help. I tried restarting my computer. Still no. Finally I re installed the game, and it still doesn't work. It's not blocked by my firewall, my video and sound drivers are up to date, I tried running it in compatibility mode, tried running the .exe directly, and the game fails to start. The game worked perfectly fine before this "conversion".

Attached is a partial DxDiag information dump. I removed much of it to fit within the file size limit for this forum.

Edit: Problem fixed. I had a corrupted prefs file.

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Isn't there anybody out there that can help me? I've given you all the information I can, and I've tried all of the solutions in the FAQ, there isn't anything else I can do.
  • edited October 2012
    Over 200 people have looked at this thread, one of them must be capable of helping me. My game worked perfectly fine until Steam messed with it.
  • edited October 2012
    Episode 4 is out, and my game is still not working. Telltale broke it when they made me convert it.
  • edited October 2012
    I posted this thread four days ago, patiently waiting for an answer, isn't there anybody out there that can help me? I've given you all the information I can. This thread has now been viewed over 300 times, I don't believe that all of them were incapable of helping me. I just want to play the game that I paid for, and that Telltale broke with their update.
  • edited October 2012
    Hey bro. I'm having the same problem and I don't find any solution yet. My game doesn't even start. In the first time appear this error message and now not even this. I don't know what to do. Every new episode I have a problem with this games. In the last one was my save. In the first time was something like this but the compatibility mode worked.

Good luck for us.
  • edited October 2012
    Still no help? This is just pathetic.
  • edited October 2012
    I send an email to support, but until no response.
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2012
    A Telltale Game doesn't ever do anything like "converted into a new more efficient format". Where did you get your game, from TTG or Steam?
  • edited October 2012
    I bought on Steam. And I deleted and installed again 3 times.
  • edited October 2012
    I got it on Steam, (which was easily discernible from my post) and when I tried to open the game I was made to wait for it to convert before I was allowed to play it. After this conversion it would not run. I am not the only person experiencing problems after this conversion.
  • edited October 2012
    Sure wish I could play episode 4.
  • edited October 2012
    A whole week and nobody has tried to help me. Just lovely. I paid for this game and I'd really like to play it.
  • edited October 2012
    I'm really getting pissed now. This is complete bullshit. Where the fuck is everybody? Telltale, wake the fuck up. You broke my game, and I demand that you fix it, or give me back my money. I waited long enough for the episode to come out, and I can't even fucking play it.
  • edited October 2012
    They only want to promote the greatness of the game, not the game breaking issues. Just look at their twitter

https://twitter.com/telltalegames
  • edited October 2012
    Do I have to get on my knees and fucking beg? Where the fuck is everybody?
  • MattPMattP ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff
    edited October 2012
    As Kevin mentioned, none of our games need to be converted into another format. If you have a screenshot of the message, can you please post it? If not, can you clarify whether it was a system message or a Steam message? Any information can help as this is not something we've encountered before.
  • edited October 2012
    I don't have a screen shot of the message. Others have reported problems after this conversion, and have posted in the "WalkingDead101.exe has stopped working" error thread. It was a Steam message, not a system message. The black Steam box popped up when I tried to run the game, prompting me that it needed to convert the game files before it could run. After the conversion was complete, I tried to run it again, and got the crash error. Before this the game would start and run just fine.
  • edited October 2012
    This happened to me aswell MattP, i got it to run by running the WalkingDead101 as an Admin, but it popped up in windowed small res mode and all my saves were not loading (which is why i was wondering about res being somehow connected to gamesaves in my PM)
  • edited October 2012
    i got the message after i "verified the integrity of my game cache" because Ep. 4 didn't download automatically, the game said that it needed to convert blahblah and download some files, i am also running Win7 64bit. Additionally, Steam and all of my games are on a different drive than my C:/MyDocuments (i don't know if it matters)
    edited October 2012
    Please try reinstalling Steam.
  • edited October 2012
    Upon looking further into this being a Steam issue, and discovering that it was a conversion into a new file format to allow more efficient patching, I tried reinstalling steam, to no avail. It still doesn't work.
  • edited October 2012
    Still having problems.
  • edited October 2012
    I STILL can't play, and I still haven't gotten a reply from support. I'm not the only one having this problem. Are you working on it? Can we get some communication here?
    edited October 2012
    I'm sorry you are still experiencing this problem.

This is a bit extreme, but please try removing all Walking Dead game data, including your saves (you can try backing these files up in another directory to avoid losing your progress). Your saves are located in Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead. Please delete or remove this folder in its entirety. Also make sure there are no lingering files in steamapps\common\the walking dead sub-directory in your Steam folder.

Once this is done, uninstall and then reinstall Steam. Now try reinstalling The Walking Dead (but do not move your saves back just yet). Once installed, try to run the game. If the game now works, please close the game and try moving your saves back. If you again expereince the issue where the game will not run, then it's more than likely that your prefs file is corrupted, and can no longer be accessed. Unfortunately this means your saves cannot be accessed either.
  • edited October 2012
    Thank you so much. All it took was deleting the saves folder, and my game started. Didn't crash when I went full screen. I don't really mind losing my saves, I'm just glad I can play.
    edited October 2012
    I'm glad it's working for you now and I do apologize for the long delay getting this sorted out.
This discussion has been closed.