How Stinky could have worked in a diner setting and still have been a mermaid

edited July 2010 in Sam & Max
Maybe I'm crazy (I'm certainly Mad ;)) but when I read this - "Steve Purcell came up with the concept for Stinky herself; he originally wanted her to be a mermaid, but they couldn't figure out how to make that work within the context of the diner, so the concession is that her apron is made out of fish scales." in the GameTap preview, I immediately started to think of how Stinky could have been a mermaid and still have fitted into the context of a diner. What can I say, it seemed like a challenge to me.

Anyway, I can see the dilema - if the diner is a land-based setting then Stinky is going to be flapping about without any water to swim in and if it's a water based setting, all the customers are going to have to swim which doesn't exactly lend itself to a particularly comfortable eating environment. The solution? - A location that is a combination of the two. I could go in to length explaining how this would work, but I've drawn a diagram instead which should make sense of it (note: diagram is roughly drawn so the rooms are a bit askew. Just imagine them as being rectangular in shape if this was a real scenario.)

stinkysdiner.gif

Actually, the only thing that I think might be a bit confusing is the raising platform. Basically this would be a platform set into the floor of the diner, on the side of the pool and ajacent to the diner's tables. When Stinky swims up to the side and puts the tray with the food on to the platform, it raises to the level that the table is at and all the customers have to do is take it from the platform (at which point the platform lowers into the floor again).

Hope that all makes sense. Yes, I know this is all completely pointless as it's not going to be in the game like this but I just thought it was a fun creative challenge. If anyone else has any alternative ideas of how you could have a mermaid in a diner setting, feel free to share.

Comments

• edited September 2007
    Maybe you could have bar seats directly next to the pool, and just serve the food on floating trays.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2007
    I don't think it was a technical restriction as much as the mermaid idea showed up very late in the game, and the core storylines for characters were already in place.
  • edited September 2007
    man i love sam & max fans haha
  • edited September 2007
    Come back later when you've actually thought about your ideas!

;)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2007
    Oh burn! It's a good idea, but it's inspired by a GameTap article, not by the whole story :) I think Emily or someone offhandedly said something about Steve's mermaid idea, and a whole sort of backstory thing appeared in the article :P
  • DanHDanH Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2007
    That's a fun idea, although I'd be worried that confused customers would think it is a sushi boat restaurant and take a big bite out of her tail.
  • edited September 2007
    It certaintly reminds me of the LUA Bar!
  • edited September 2007
    This thread reminds me, once again, how much you guys rock this board.
  • edited September 2007
    Aha, well I guessed that the reason for the non-mermaidisation of Stinky wouldn't be creative in nature due to the abundance of imaginative material in Season 1, I just felt like having a bit of fun imagining how it could work. So yeah, thanks for the full story, glad you liked the idea and looking forward to Season 2! :)

Also...
    That's a fun idea, although I'd be worried that confused customers would think it is a sushi boat restaurant and take a big bite out of her tail.

That's why you don't see many mermaids nowadays. Fishing pretty much drove them to extinction. People always check their tins to make sure the fishing methods are dolphin friendly but do they ever think about the poor mermaids? Not a chance.

It's a sad, sad tail. ;)
  • edited September 2007
    Mmmmmm I'd love me some mermaid right about now.

Sweet, succulent mermaid. *drool*

*plays "Mermaider" from Dethklok's Dethalbum*
  • edited September 2007
    Dedlok wrote: »
    Mmmmmm I'd love me some mermaid right about now.

Sweet, succulent mermaid. *drool*

*plays "Mermaider" from Dethklok's Dethalbum*

Sic em, little buddy!
  • edited July 2010
    That would have been a nice idea. Thanks for the diagram and the explanations. :)

Poor mermaids... :(
  • ttg_Stemmlettg_Stemmle Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
  • edited July 2010
    There's one major issue I have with this idea. It would require Stinky to work. Constantly. I'm not sure she's ready to do that, unless she's plotting against someone.
  • edited July 2010
    When was the idea for her to be a mermaid tossed around. Was that going to be her big reveal at 205 instead of her
    being the cake of the damned
  • edited July 2010
    Stinky as a Mermaid sounds.... Sad but hilarious. Maybe Stinky's offspring will be a demonic mermaid/cockroach hybrid.
  • edited July 2010
    and max is it unholy father you no like a god father it a joke
  • edited July 2010
    I wonder if she'd look like the people of Spinner Cay.
  • edited July 2010
    So what about Grandpa Stinky then? Would've he been a merman as well, or maybe he could work by using a little rowboat...
  • edited July 2010
    So what about Grandpa Stinky then? Would've he been a merman as well, or maybe he could work by using a little rowboat...

A surfboard. Totally.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.