[TWD] Episode 4 erased my game?

edited October 2012 in Game Support
I bought and downloaded ep 4 and went into my game save and scrolled to ep 4 clicked to play and it loaded up episode 1 from the beginning! I am guessing everything Ive done is gone now.... not too happy right now at all...

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Same thing happened to me on steam.... I'm hoping it's just a bug that'll go away and/or get fixed as soon as possible
  • edited October 2012
    Same thing happened to me. Not playing through 3 episodes from the start again, very disappointed. I had really enjoyed the games and the concept behind the gameplay, this has pretty much nullified that now. Guess Ill play Ep 4 with pre-defined choices. Meh

Update: I just quit to the dashboard (360) and reloaded Save 1 (That now says Episode 1)... its now playing Ep 4 with my previous choices intact... what on earth? Anyone else care to try to see if they have the same outcome?
  • edited October 2012
    Almost the same thing happened to me. I have TWD: Game for PS3 and I got about half way through Episode 4 and all of a sudden it said the save file was corrupt. Then my PS3 froze up and I had to manually reboot it. After I loaded it back up, all my saves were gone. I'm now replaying all the episodes just so that I can have my choices back! It would be nice to get a Telltale employee to tell us what the bug is and what we can do to avoid it.
  • edited October 2012
    I finally loaded ep4, im not sure if its using my decicisons though, ep 1-3 now show none of my choices anymore. Im still playing through it at least but I guess I will have to start over
  • edited October 2012
    TheRC51 wrote: »
    Almost the same thing happened to me. I have TWD: Game for PS3 and I got about half way through Episode 4 and all of a sudden it said the save file was corrupt. Then my PS3 froze up and I had to manually reboot it. After I loaded it back up, all my saves were gone. I'm now replaying all the episodes just so that I can have my choices back! It would be nice to get a Telltale employee to tell us what the bug is and what we can do to avoid it.

I am having the same problem. and replaying it wont work it crashes at the same area just when lees going up the stairs. i had to restart it then copy back my saved file from the ps storage and it still froze :( ........word of advice if you have ps plus then you can copy your saved game file back onto your ps3 but like i said wont work because it will crash again. at this point i am sick of telltale and i want a refund back.
  • edited October 2012
    Same issues. All my choices in both my saves were wrong but identical to each other, as if they had been merged.

Copied the one I knew was my main then deleted the original. Choices from ep 1 and 2 corrected themselves, but 3 was still messed up. Restarted the ENTIRE episode 3. When I finished, checked the stats again. Episode 1 and 2 stats changed again and are now wrong but ep 3 was okay. Started ep 4 just to see if the stats were just showing the wrong thing, but my choices were okay, but it was immediately apoarant that the ep 1 and 2 data was wrong.

Restarted the game but decided to hold off for a fix.

The game is 100% about my choices and I'm kind of pissed that mine is messed up. Don't want to play until there is a fix that doesn't require me to spend days replaying all the previous episodes.
  • edited October 2012
    Cool. Corrupted saves. Cool. I wanted to start over anyways.

Plays Episode 1 start to finish...

Starts Episode 2... it says i didnt side with Kenny...

Go back to Rewind, and my save is gone again. AGAIN.

I just want to play the game TT. Thats all i want.
  • edited October 2012
    UPDATE: Tried to see if I could start a new game and just start at ep4, thinking there would be an option to select the major choices (FYI, there isnt).

When I selected the new game slots the previous episodes I had played under the current borked save appeared completed with stats that match my current one.

Tried moving the save into the cloud then selecting the hdd storage. That effectively cleared everything out and allowed me to create a brand new save file.

Deleted that file and moved the backup from the cloud back to the hdd. Save appeared with the same messed up stats, and I was unable to create a fresh new save as the issue I mentioned two paragraphs above persisted.

I'm going to now assume that the save is buggered. I'll complete delete all the save (might as well. They're not the way I had played the game) and start fresh. If, after completing everything through episode 3, the stats continue to not reflect the choices I made, then the issue extends farther than merely a corrupted save.

Just in case, I'm going to cloud backup after each successful confirmation that my choices stuck.

I really hope TellTale acknowledges the issue. It only seems to be a few of us that have the problem (not counting dummies who probably don't realize none of their previous choices carried over) but its a pretty major issue, seeming how the vast majority of gameplay deals with our decisions regarding the story. :p
  • edited October 2012
    I had the same issue here. I'm really upset because this is a HUGE issue for a game based on CHOICES. I had noticed some bugs with Kenny saying I hadn't backed him up when I did but it wasn't too big of a deal so I let it slide. However, changing ALL my decisions to the opposite of what I did is not okay. TT needs to get on this stat since, from what I can see, a lot of people are looking at these forums and are probably suffering the same issues too. If there are other people out there, make sure you comment on this issue. The more people that complain the quicker they'll probably try to fix it. Because if it's only a few of us they probably don't care at all, especially since they haven't even responded to us yet.
  • edited October 2012
    The same thing happened to me on the PS3. I started playing Episode 4 of The Walking Dead. I got about an hour into it and then the game froze randomly while I was walking around. This weird message popped up saying "Save Data Corrupt" and I had to restart the PS3. When I tried to boot up the game the same data message popped up again, but then I went to "Play Game". I looked and ALL my save data was erased.

14 hours I put into this series and it's all just gone. I bought every episode of The Walking Dead so far and I loved playing it. This sucks. Now I'm afraid to even try playing it over again because other people keep saying that the problem keeps happening to them even after they play it over.

TellTale PLEASE acknowledge this.
  • edited October 2012
    Telltale do not give a crap about these problems. They have known about them since episode 2 came out. their official stance is 'we dont not give a crap about your problems, we have your money, shut the hell up'.
  • edited October 2012
    draxx wrote: »
    Telltale do not give a crap about these problems. They have known about them since episode 2 came out. their official stance is 'we dont not give a crap about your problems, we have your money, shut the hell up'.

Harsh, but it kind of feels that way.

I spent $25 on this back before Episode 1 came out, and I've still only played Episode 1 because the save issues hasn't been fixed. I've tried it on my mac and PC, same thing. I've uninstalled, deleted everything, re-downloaded... I can't get saves to work no matter what. Pain in the ass.
  • edited October 2012
    I was a playstation plus member and had ep 1 and 2 for free. downloaded played and BOUGHT ep 3 and played it all just fine. My playstation plus membership renewed itself and BOUGHT ep 4 and tried to play when I see that My episode 1 is gone. The game does not give me an option to Load anything.. when I click on buy ep 1 just to see it actualy says ep 2, 3 and 4 are installed but only ep 1 says "buy". I checked on my system and the saved game data is still there. I am not sure what to do.. Really I do not feel like going through 3 episodes all over again. Sigh..:mad:

Thank you.
  • edited October 2012
    Yeah, this is ridiculous. I had completed ep 3 the first day it came out and downloaded this day one. I started it up and tried to load my game (under game 1) and it loaded game 2 or 3 (both are on ep 1 so I can't tell). I haven't fully loaded the saves, just looked at the progress of them, just in case I screw something up if TT ever makes a fix. But that seems unlikely, seeing as people have had this happening since 2. I'm just gonna wait until 5 is out then try playing through the whole thing.
  • edited October 2012
    Just want to chime in on this, as I've had the same issue on Steam. For a game where the choices are so important, the save game system seems thoroughly broken.

After completing episode 1, when I installed episode 2, it lost my choices (though my save file was still in the menu), and starting episode 2, it just assigned me random choices that had nothing to do with what I had done.
    Luckily, someone on the forums had a solution that required copying saves from the game directory to the Steam directory or some such, which fixed the problem, but shouldn't have been necessary.

Now today I decide to indulge in a birthday treat and play through episode 4, and again my progress has disappeared. My save file appears in the menu, but it says I've only completed episode 1, and when I start episode 4, it just assigns me arbitrary choices that are not the ones I had made. It's pretty much completely ruining that game's main point, and turning the high degree of investment I had in the narrative into a high degree of irritation. I don't think I've ever regretted buying such a good game so much, but I'm in the strange predicament now.
  • edited October 2012
    I just tried the fix in this thread:

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=661539

It appears to be working. The problem is with the prefs.prop file being arbitrarily read from either the user/documents directory or the Steam directory from Walking Dead, and the wrong one being updated.
  • edited October 2012
    Having to fix that every single time I boot up the game is unbearable.

Also for me it's the other way around, have to copy the steam prefs into Documents.
This discussion has been closed.