Saves not recognizing

edited January 2013 in Game Support
This is the second time this has happened to me when an episode has released. I'm using Windows 7.

If you can't fix this bug, I'd like a full refund. I don't think you've lived up to your advertised features. I already replayed episode one the last time this happened, and I'm not looking forward to replaying it another time along with two other episodes I already played.

If you ARE going to fix it, you definitely should notify everyone when that happens. And I highly recommend not releasing a game with this kind of bug. I'm literally angry at you as a studio, and all the goodwill I had towards you (which essentially began with this game) is completely gone now. It was halfway obliterated the last time this happened, now you're pretty much done for me for life. Whatever you release pretty much doesn't matter anymore, since I never want to experience this kind of disappointment when I buy a game. And I intend to make sure that anytime a Telltale game comes up in conversation, or discussion, I will mention this bug.

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Ditto, i purchased the game after ep. 2 came out via steam, and when 3 launched it del'd all my saves, so i had to restart, and agian with ep. 4... as much as I enjoyed playing the first time, and was happy enough the second time, i really REALLY don't want to play a 3rd time thru all 4 eps. If there isn't a fix then i guess i'll just have to wait til ep 5 comes out to play agian...
  • edited October 2012
    Welcome to the club.
    Here, have a seat and a slice of being blatantly ignored pie.
  • edited October 2012
    i wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that its not on my main drive? anyone else have multiple hard drive setup?
  • edited October 2012
    and does it have anything to do with changing the res?
  • edited October 2012
    I never moved drives, and I only changed res once. It was before I started ep1
  • edited October 2012
    I was finally able to download and install episode 3 last week, but my saves aren't recognized either. The files themselves are still in The Walking Dead folder, but the game itself says I haven't got any saves.
    Well... that's great. Now I do have episode 3, but have to start over at the beginning if I even want to play episode 3.

How about episode 4 you ask? ... Well, that won't download at all.

OS X 10.7.5 - Macbook Pro i7 2010
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2012
    There are some approaches to fixing the savegames.

First, make a backup copy of
    Win Vista/7: %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    XP: %userprofile%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\
    (International users: Also exchange "My Documents" for the translation into your language)
    before, just in case.
    Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/

Restoring the savegame folder
    It's easy if available on your system, but you will lose any progress since the last restore point.
    PC: You can try the "restore previous version" feature on the savegame folder (right click, "properties", "restore previous version").
    Mac: You might be able to restore the savegames using "time machine".

Manually fixing a savegame
    This approach is a last resort and takes a bit of work, but can restore access to the latest savegame in one slot. It won't show the right data for the save slot in-game, so continue the game to see if it worked. Be sure to adapt the instructions for the Episode your savegame is from.
    PC: The Siezemore fix
    Mac: The Nonz fix
  • edited October 2012
    Yeah, I never use Time Machine so I guess that's my own fault.
    I'll try that manual fixing thing, even though it looks really difficult.
  • edited January 2013
    So still no fix huh?
  • edited January 2013
    Official fix? No, and I doubt it will ever come. It seems almost impossible to trace a bug which doesn't affect all of the people who play the game.
    There have been a couple of patches in-game, but those seem to work only for certain users.
    If you CAN restore to a previous point on your HD, do so, otherwise... you have to start all over and backup your savefiles AND prefs.prop file every time you quit the game.
This discussion has been closed.