Sam n Max Season 1 DVD in Parallels Desktop v3

edited January 2010 in Game Support
I gleefully unwrapped my copy of season 1 from the post office today, and decided to install it on my new Parallels 3 virtual machine (that runs 3d games).

The installation went okay, but when I try to start an episode, the dvd in the drive spins and seeks ( i can hear the robotic sound of the laser head moving) for a while before claiming that "Oops, there's no sam n max disc in the drive".

Is this supposed to happen? Or I did I find an unintended use of the dvd.

Thanks for your help,
CVertex

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2007
    We've had other people say it works okay in Parallels. Can you tell if the error message is coming from the game (asking you to insert your original DVD to continue) or if it's a generic "there's no disc in the drive" message? Can you pop the DVD in a DVD player and see if the video content plays okay?

There is a thread here that talks about having to change the DVD drive's transfer mode to resolve a problem like this. I'm afraid I don't know how you would do this in Parallels.

Seg might have some other ideas. I'll make sure he sees this thread.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2007
    Also, have you got Boot Camp installed and/or an actual PC box? It might be worth checking under one of those two configurations, since Parallels isn't a true PC down to the metal. You never know...
  • SegSeg
    edited October 2007
    Sadly, I don't think you're going to get the disk-based game to work via Parallels, but there are options to get it to work. In all cases, your disk should still work for all the extras directly into OS X including DVD-Video content via DVD Player.

1) Use the downloaded versions
    We've had people successfully use the downloaded versions in Parallels without problems. They are the same games so you're not loosing anything in the experience.

2) Use Boot Camp
    A pain to reboot the computer into Windows, but this should work with the disk-based install.

The issue is that in Parallels, all disk drives are virtualized. Normally this isn't a problem, but for SecuROM, virtualized drives are exactly the kind of thing SecuROM is meant to protect against. Yes, we know you are properly using the disk, but SecuROM wasn't designed to be used via Parallels.

What makes Boot Camp work is that you are loading Windows directly so the disk drive isn't virtualized. Since there is no abstraction to the disk drive, SecuROM should work. Sadly, I can't check this myself. My trusty G4 PowerBook right next to me can't do fancy Intel-based things.
  • edited January 2010
    I understand this is an old thread, but I am having a similar problem. I purchased Episode 1 with the intention of using it with Windows 7 virtualized with Parallels 5. I am unable to launch the game in Parallels because of a Securom error.

Have their been any updates to this game (where you have perhaps removed the EXCEPTIONALLY annoying CD-must-be-present)?

Should I go the illegal route and try to find a pirated version with no-CD patch? Do you also have annoying DRM features in your newer games, such as Monkey Island and SaM:s2? If so, I will be sure to not purchase them.
  • edited January 2010
    If the downloaded versions can be played in Parallels, is there any way I can mail you by disks/box/etc and download the game for free?
  • edited January 2010
    hmm...interestingly enough, I tried to relaunch the game and it worked...I am confused does Securom work or not work with Parallels 5?
This discussion has been closed.