What happened to the Adventure games?

edited October 2007 in General Chat
Hey

Yeah always been wondering what happened to the good old funny adventure games, why did lucas art suddenly go into a starwars frenzy and stopped making sequals or any new funny adventure games :P anyone know if any other company other that Telltale has any funny classic adventure games on the horizon.

Been playing thru some of the good old classic games.
Sam&Max, Day of the tentacle, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, The Digg, Monkey Island, Stupid Invander.

Think we get any hope of ever seen such good fun games again ? other than if telltale makes some? =) ofc it might be hard even for Telltale to get the humor of those games, they really were ahead of there time.

Comments

• edited October 2007
    You know that Dave Grossman, our design director, wrote or co-wrote several of the games you listed there, right? :)
  • edited October 2007
    I'm looking forward to A Vampyre Story and The Abbey, and you may also be interested in So Blonde, Jack Keane and Zack & Wiki. There are also a number of promising upcoming adventures in other subgenres (I'm especially looking forward to Once Upon a Time in Japan, Mata Hari, and Sherlock Holmes vs Arsene Lupin).
    Adventure games have been in a slump for a while, but I think we're starting to see a resurrection of the genre.
  • edited October 2007
    What ever happened to predictability?
  • edited October 2007
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    why did lucas art suddenly go into a starwars frenzy and stopped making sequals or any new funny adventure games

They like money and flogging licenses apparently. Sadly quirky, well written adventure games take more time to make and tend to sell less than generic shooter #566843 with a Star Wars veneer.
  • edited October 2007
    What LucasArts really need to do, so they can still make adventure games and make silly money at the same time, is to make a Star Wars game but tack so many Monkey Island or Maniac Mansion references onto it, it might as well not even be a Star Wars game.

Lets say Darth Vader is using the force to make dinner one day, when he accidentally knocks over the time-transporter over with his elbow, teleporting him back to the 1800s Caribbean (or 1990s theme park if you believe that theory) and meeting the Cyborg-Ghost-Demon-Zombie LeChuck, who throws poor old Anakin into a mansion owned by possible maniacs.
    LeChuck then randomly and reluctantly decides to join forces with Guybrush and defeat Darth once and for all. Because bad guys and good guys joining forces is so original and shocking. It's not like Crash Bandicoot's ever done it or anything.

Cue 30 hours of hilarious pointing and clicking, an almost complete absence of any Star Wars related material barring occasional cutbacks to Darth Vader being attacked by an evil-overlord-eating hamster trying to put him in a microwave, and jokes (yes, jokes. Haven't seen many of those from LA lately).

As long as it has the Star Wars name tacked on the cover somewhere, it's a winner.
  • edited October 2007
    Badwolf wrote: »
    Words

I'd buy it! I would buy it twice!
  • edited October 2007
    tabacco wrote: »
    You know that Dave Grossman, our design director, wrote or co-wrote several of the games you listed there, right? :)

And when will we see such adventure quality again then?
  • edited October 2007
    Adventure games never died, guys. They just went more and more into the niche market for quite some time.

I like to quote this quote from our good friends at Double Fine:
    Are adventure games dead? If yes, then what killed adventure games?

Next person to ask me this gets a punch in the mouth.
  • edited October 2007
    All adventure games did was take a holiday. Some of them decided to stay there and never come back to the real world (*cough* Monkey Island).

169roqq.jpg
  • edited October 2007
    tabacco wrote: »

Indeed i know :) hopeing to see more that kinda great humor and story get put into new adventure games :)
  • edited October 2007
    why is it that everyone seems to forget sierra? to me they were the cornerstone of advents.. LA just brought an easier interface and extra humor to the party.

I love the classics but fellas .. dont forget about old sierra!

Advents are actually mostly dead.."this is a quote from the princess bride.. sigh im old ok?"
    Sad but the main thing keeping em down is just lack of people doing them.. I think they would get devoured.. but I guess devs have other ideas. Good thing telltale will step in :P
    We want visuals... loud noises.. and NO character depth or plot or humor.. can you do it johnny?! YES SIR! Here is halo and its 900 baby spawns bleh. Least if you make FPS make something like ALICE american mc version of course...

Speaking of which when is that movie due out muahaha.
  • edited October 2007
    couldn never dream about forgetting Sierra, but for me Lucas Arts really completed the mix, Humor, good story, Cartoonish looks. Great voice acting, they could made it all fit =)
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2007
    LuigiHann wrote: »

It died when the Olsen twins grew up and went crazy, of course.
  • edited October 2007
    Squinky wrote: »
    It died when the Olsen twins grew up and went crazy, of course.
    Obviously you meant quadruplets.
    http://nynerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/olsen-twins-halloween.JPG

Ka-tish! Thank you, thank you.
  • edited October 2007
    All im thinking is.. Im screwed when im just a little older. My daughter is 7 in feb and grr I can only imagine the hell im in for! haha
  • edited October 2007
    the same market researcher that told Disney there was no european fanbase for the dvd release of gargoyles is responsible. I think we need to go postal on those dumbass market researchers. I mean seriously, if there wasn't a market for adventure games Telltale would have crashed and burned but here they are doing rather nicely for themselves.

|Fortunately, adventure gaming seems to be making a slow comeback, the european market are producing them still, so yeah!
    Hopefully the sucess of S&M and other similar titles will promt people to look to the genre once more.
  • edited October 2007
    Harald B wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to A Vampyre Story and The Abbey, and you may also be interested in So Blonde, Jack Keane and Zack & Wiki. There are also a number of promising upcoming adventures in other subgenres (I'm especially looking forward to Once Upon a Time in Japan, Mata Hari, and Sherlock Holmes vs Arsene Lupin).
    Adventure games have been in a slump for a while, but I think we're starting to see a resurrection of the genre.

Hmmmmm - didn't you forget about "Gray Matter"?
    The one from Jane Jensen.. :)

Actually, I'm also looking forward to the release of:
    "Treasure Island"
  • edited October 2007
    Oh, I wasn't trying to be exhaustive by any means. Too many of them for that.
  • edited October 2007
    LuigiHann wrote: »

I miss that among other things, liek the milkman, the paperboy, and evening TV.
  • edited October 2007

WOW, when is this game coming out? I've never even heard of Simon the Sourcerer, but it looks great.
  • edited October 2007
    WOW, when is this game coming out? I've never even heard of Simon the Sourcerer, but it looks great.

It is coming out in the first quarter of next year.
    As for background on the series, check out Wikipedia. I highly recommend the first two games, but not so much the third.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.