Game crashes after CD icon. Patch was installed, made no difference.

edited October 2007 in Game Support
Game crashes after CD icon. Patch was installed, made no difference. Am I going to have to get a refund?

Comments

• edited October 2007
    Which game was it?
  • edited October 2007
    Sam & Max 1st Season.
  • edited October 2007
    Is there any specific error message that comes up?
  • edited October 2007
    It's the usual windows crash message. "'Program' has encountered a problem and needs to close."
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2007
    Ok, lets see if we can figure this out. First go through and update your video card drivers, sound card drivers, and DirectX. Even if it doesn't solve the problem, its almost always a good thing to do. If that doesn't work, try reinstalling (assuming you haven't already).

If that doesn't work, try downloading the demo from our website and see if that works. That should let us know if the problem is with the computer or the disk
  • edited October 2007
    Ok, did all of this. Nothing worked.
    edited October 2007
    Ok, then I'm definitely going to need more information. What sort of computer specs do you have? And the demo didn't work at all? Did it give you the same error? The more information I have, the easier it will be to fix this.
  • edited October 2007
    Ok. The demo I tried was episode 6. After clicking the "Play free trial" button on the splash screen, rather than the usual XP crash dialog, an error box appears stating "Error: Access violation at 0x004DE68F (tried to read from 0x0536CB94), program is terminated."

Specs:

Win XP SP2
    Pentium 4, 2.6 GHz
    512 MB RAM
    Radeon 9600 Pro
    M-Audio Firewire 410
    edited October 2007
    Out of curiosity, which version of the game are you playing? Store bought CD, Season 1 DVD, or downloaded?
  • edited October 2007
    Season 1 DVD
  • edited October 2007
    Ok then, back to the store with it.
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I'm afraid this is one of those system specific things, and without having the system right in front of us, there isn't much we can do. The only other thing that I can think to try in this case is to just make sure that every other single program is shut down (even the persnickety hidden ones), just in case some other program is interfering.

Anyway, really sorry and I wish I could help!
This discussion has been closed.