old PC games

edited November 2007 in General Chat
I need help! i want to play an old pc game.. from the 90s. i only remember you move a little guy around using the arrow keys, its kinda of a strategy game. i remember in one level you go from ice block to ice block until you find your way out to the next level.. another level you have to dodge different objects that can kill you.. does anyone have a clue to what game im thinking of?????

Comments

• edited October 2007
    Chip's Challenge?
  • edited October 2007
    thats it! You rock!!!!
  • edited October 2007
    Oh, hey, I used to play that! Quite a good game. :)
  • edited October 2007
    Anyone know where i can get this game.. free.. do i need special software?
  • edited October 2007
    I'm not sure about the legality of downloading it, so I don't really want to post a link here to be on the safe side, but if you Google for "Chips challenge download" it brings up quite a few results.

EDIT: It appears on Abandonia, so it's probably abandonware and therefore legal to download oops, it's not necessarily legal. I should really look more into these things before I go spouting off.
  • edited October 2007
    i found a site to download, but its a zip file? ..guess i dont know enough about computers
  • MelMel
    edited October 2007
    Badwolf wrote: »
    EDIT: It appears on Abandonia, so it's probably abandonware and therefore legal to download, but you're best checking around to make sure it really is.

Abandonware does not equal legal to download. Unless the holders of the license have specifically released it as freeware, it's not.
  • edited October 2007
    thanks! finally got it
  • edited October 2007
    Mel wrote: »
    Abandonware does not equal legal to download. Unless the holders of the license have specifically released it as freeware, it's not.

Ah right, thanks for clearing that up.
  • edited October 2007
    Sadly true but MOST abandonware ends up being semi legal due to defunct corps and devs :P even if the freeware title was never given. Sometimes all it takes is a company email if one can find it, ive done so for several games for the underdogs site :P
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2007
    Given that Chip's Challenge was released as part of a Microsoft game pack, I doubt that particular publisher has given up any rights to their game.
  • edited October 2007
    Chip's Challenge is a great game. Mostly wonderful level design with nice tunes. The best version was around for the Lynx and oh Gates of Zendocon and Shanghai.
  • edited October 2007
    haha jake :P I didnt mean this game specifically :P haha but yeaaa.

And lynx ROx!
  • edited November 2007
    I used to have a disc collection full of shareware games [registered versions though] and this was one of them! I only have a very vague memory of the actual game though.
  • edited November 2007
    I played Chip's Challenge and it's really not that good. It has bad graphics, hardly any story line, and very basic controls. I can see why some people would like it, but it's too simple for me.
  • edited November 2007
    I played Chip's Challenge and it's really not that good. It has bad graphics, hardly any story line, and very basic controls. I can see why some people would like it, but it's too simple for me.

Welcome to the 80s.

I'd take Chips Challenge over games like Halo any day though.
  • edited November 2007
    It's not supposed to have a storyline, and the controls are meant to be basic. Why would it even need or benefit from more complex controls?
  • edited November 2007
    Badwolf wrote: »
    Welcome to the 80s.

I'd take Chips Challenge over games like Halo any day though.

Too far. :D Sure, Monkey Island or Sam & Max... but Chip's Challenge? It isn't that good!
  • edited November 2007
    I'm not a big fan of Halo though, so I'd probably play almost anything over it =P. I'm easily amused by bright colours and midi music
  • edited November 2007
    timygirl05 wrote: »
    i found a site to download, but its a zip file? ..guess i dont know enough about computers

Zip files can be opened natively with windows XP sp2, but you can allways use winzip, winrar or winace (Winrar in my oppinion is the best)
  • edited November 2007
    7zip is your friend! Plus, it's free.

http://www.7-zip.org/
  • edited November 2007
    WinRar sucks because it costs money.

WinZip sucks because it has a tendency to try to take over the native extraction of .zip files when you don't want it to.

And it also doesn't extract the files when you tell it to. Instead, it runs some sort of freaky generic "extraction wizard" that doesn't realize you've already told it what files you want extracted.

Plus, it costs money.

WinAce sucks because it, AGAIN, costs money.

But as tabacco says, 7-zip is free. Do the math.
  • edited November 2007
    I think the the Windows one is the best because its simple, fast, and there's no bugs in it.
  • edited November 2007
    Yeah, it's great.

But what do you do when you need to open gunzips? Tarballs? Windows doesn't know how to do it.
  • edited November 2007
    You've got me there.
  • edited November 2007
    Winzip/7-zip/Winrar can all handle extractions of tarballs / gzipped files. I just don't think it can *create* them.
    IZarc is another free Windows archive creator/extractor tool... it's what we use at work (together with 7zip)

Yup, my workplace is generally cheap and tries to use as many freeware applications as possible to avoid buying software licenses :)

[We all have OpenOffice.org on our PCs, and there's *one* license & install of Microsoft Office on a shared PC in the whole company... Not really that bad as we work on Linux most of the time]
  • edited November 2007
    uhh last I checked .. winrar was working with full functions and only a popup asking for you to donate or get a different version. Its worked like this since forever.. I just click NO or OK and continue :P
    Course there are workarounds but I wont get into that
    7zip has insaneo compression but with some minor bad effects.. if you say have 200 files all big clips.. you cant just take one out you have to uncompress the whole thing.
  • edited November 2007
    May I put in a vote for PowerArchiver? I've been using that for years now, and it does everything I want it to do. Like WinZip, it does come with a nag screen, but if you look past that, it's a great archiving program.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.