Episode 201 - Game launcher... doesn't.

edited November 2007 in Game Support
It's just sitting there saying 'Please wait, logging you in...' and I can't click on the 'No thanks' option.

launcher.jpg

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2007
    did you ever try logging in, or did it just come up like that?
    also, do you have javascript disabled in internet explorer for some reason? (it kind of looks like you might from that screenshot)
  • edited November 2007
    I didn't even get the option to log in :) Javascript is active, and I had a similar problem with the last season's launcher, but I could still click the right buttons to start the game.

Javascript error I get with this launcher is Line:7, Char: 29596, Error: Class not registered.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2007
    What version of IE do you have? Do you have your security settings set so that they prevent scripts from running locally?

Could you try disconnecting your internet connection and then launch the game again?
  • edited November 2007
    Using IE6 at the moment (but you might have read before that it's had issues with PNG images and JS over at AG)

Security settings are only set at medium-low.

Disconnecting internet didn't make a difference, unfortunately.
    edited November 2007
    This might be a horrible request, but I suspect if you move to IE7 it'll work. We tested stuff pretty rigorously on both IE6 and IE7 machines, but if pngs and javascript don't work for you on your current setup, just in general, it's going to be tough to get this working for you :(
  • edited November 2007
    Right, I'm updating to IE7. *mutter* I'll let you know if it helps...
  • edited November 2007
    ... and it didn't - apart from making the transparency on that png work properly :/

Edit: If i can get it working fine on my work laptop, I'll give up trying to get it working on my personal desktop for now.
    edited November 2007
    Sorry :( I have no idea why your computer isn't executing javascript.
  • edited November 2007
    One thing to maybe try is to go into internet options, pick the 'security' tab, and click 'reset all zones to default level'

It may just be that security settings are out of whack on your IE install.
  • edited November 2007
    Nor do I :) It's only caused problems with Telltale's launchers and AG's png handling. Like the latter though, I'm pretty sure I'll be the only person with the issue. Maybe I'll try a repair XP install / reformat at some point before episode 202's released. (And nope Doug, resetting the security zones didn't help either)

In positive news, it's working superbly in 1680x1050 on my work laptop. Configuration complete!
    edited November 2007
    Dale wrote: »
    It's only caused problems with Telltale's launchers and AG's png handling.

So, sadly, your computer is just averse to code written and/or implemented by Doug Tabacco? Weird.
  • edited November 2007
    hehe, seems that way. I'm sure it's just a coincidence... :D
  • edited November 2007
    I have the same problem here, running Vista (so obviously have IE7 installed)

You know, I ran into a similar problem while using Steam after migrating to Vista: for some reason, the registry was not accepting the new entries that told it how to handle the Steam protocol in the browser, so all buttons in it became "unclickable". Could it be something similar?
  • edited November 2007
    I'm kind of bummed because I don't have a secondary machine to install the game, so I'm basically locked out of my own purchased game. The whole screen is unresponsive, except for the option to minimize and close the window. I can't even use the newsletter option.

I also checked to see if there was any network activity while running the executable, but it was pretty much negligible.

What should I do? Should I send a formal e-mail complaining about this?
  • edited November 2007
    OK, so I know it's late on your timezone, and I think this message will make me sound a little desperate... I would say that is pretty much right.

I don't know how much that will help, but I found out that I can actually click-drag on that frozen screen, and "scroll down" to another screen. Screenshots:

screen1jd6.jpg

and...

screen2vt9.jpg

Please don't tell me I will have to wait til monday to get some help...
  • edited November 2007
    Sounds like you also have Javascript disabled. Have you tried making sure it's turned on, and that your security settings aren't set to something wildly nonstandard? Also, it's only 3:30 in the afternoon.
  • edited November 2007
    I don`t think so - both my banks where I have accounts use Java keyboards for password entry, and both work on both IE7 AND Firefox - a little JAVA icon pops up by the clock on the Start Menu bar. That would mean Java is enabled, correct?
  • edited November 2007
    Also, for the record, I went and checked Windows' Internet Option and everything is set to standart. I really have no idea what else to do. Sites like YouTube (that, as far as I understand, require JAvascript) are also working perfectly on both IE and FF.
  • ElzElz
    edited November 2007
    Similar problem here, except i don't appear to be getting as far as these guys. And when I click on it i'm told it's not responding. This by the way is happening on vista and IE7, with the default setup, is my browser.
  • edited November 2007
    Elz wrote: »
    Similar problem here, except i don't appear to be getting as far as these guys. And when I click on it i'm told it's not responding. This by the way is happening on vista and IE7, with the default setup, is my browser.

Try right clicking the icon and running as administrator.
  • edited November 2007
    Well, just for the record, I tried doing that both with the installer and the game (which helped me fix the problem with Steam back when I upgraded to Vista) and that did NOT work here.
  • edited November 2007
    OK, guys, I managed to fix the issue.

If anyone else is running Vista, here's what worked:

Control Panel > Internet Option > Advanced Tab

I don't know exactly what the button would say in the English Vista (mine is in Portuguese), but the last button on that page has an option to revert IE7 back to the original settings. It says the equivalent of "Redefine..." in my version. It took all toolbars and stuff like that away, but the game now runs - so I can't complain.

I manually checked to see if any of the related settings (such as security and javascript-related options) were changed, but no.

Hope this helps you guys.
  • edited November 2007
    GabeCube wrote: »

I don't know exactly what the button would say in the English Vista (mine is in Portuguese), but the last button on that page has an option to revert IE7 back to the original settings. It says the equivalent of "Redefine..." in my version. It took all toolbars and stuff like that away, but the game now runs - so I can't complain.

I manually checked to see if any of the related settings (such as security and javascript-related options) were changed, but no.

6ovir8w.png
  • edited November 2007

Out of curiosity, what third party toolbars did you have running that disappeared? It might be that one of them is causing the problem, so it would be good to know what you were using.
  • ElzElz
    edited November 2007
    Neither the run as administrator or the IE reset options worked, but thanks for the advice.

:(
  • edited November 2007
    Any fixes for this problem for those of us who aren't using Vista?
  • edited November 2007
    kjetting wrote: »
    Any fixes for this problem for those of us who aren't using Vista?

This solution will work even if you're not running Vista. You just need IE7.
  • edited November 2007
    My problem looks a little different the ones mentioned above.
    When I input my login info or the serial number and press the unlock button the SamMax201.exe crashes and pops up a windows error report dialog. Clicking on "send report" even crashes that dialog. If I try the demo mode everything works perfectly fine.
    I tried the suggested fixes but they don't work for me (downloaded the installer several times, too).

Some info about my PC:
    AMD 64 3500+, 2GB RAM, Audigy Player, 7600GT (163.75 WHQL) running WinXP sp2 & latest updates.
    I use the Outpost firewall 4.0 (where i can perfectly see the communication of the SamMax201.exe with the telltale servers btw).

Moreover if I input a wrong password for my login. I get a "wrong" password message without a crash! It seems the crash is directly related to unlock some files.
    Just to make sure the installer file is fine - could someone be so kind and post a hash of a working setup file? (MD5, SHA1?)
  • edited November 2007

You sir are frankly awesome. That solved my launcher problem too. Only third-party toolbar I was using was for Google, which was only a hanger-on from my IE6 install.

(Edit: I still can't see the blue launch button though, but I imagine that's linked to my invisible images problem at AG. Thankfully it's still clickable.)
  • edited November 2007
    Patrick wrote: »
    My problem looks a little different the ones mentioned above.
    When I input my login info or the serial number and press the unlock button the SamMax201.exe crashes and pops up a windows error report dialog. Clicking on "send report" even crashes that dialog. If I try the demo mode everything works perfectly fine.
    I tried the suggested fixes but they don't work for me (downloaded the installer several times, too).

Some info about my PC:
    AMD 64 3500+, 2GB RAM, Audigy Player, 7600GT (163.75 WHQL) running WinXP sp2 & latest updates.
    I use the Outpost firewall 4.0 (where i can perfectly see the communication of the SamMax201.exe with the telltale servers btw).

Moreover if I input a wrong password for my login. I get a "wrong" password message without a crash! It seems the crash is directly related to unlock some files.
    Just to make sure the installer file is fine - could someone be so kind and post a hash of a working setup file? (MD5, SHA1?)

UPDATE
    I found a solution to the crash. I use the (standard) windows classic theme/visual style of WinXP. I disabled the use of visual styles for the SamMax201.exe and the activation went smooth!
  • edited November 2007
    tabacco wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what third party toolbars did you have running that disappeared? It might be that one of them is causing the problem, so it would be good to know what you were using.

Yeah, I also had the Google toolbar installed, and that was it.
  • edited November 2007
    I should note, however, that if I change the default resolution of the game, it crashes everytime I try to run it. I had to do a complete uninstall to go back to the original resolution in order to get to that config again to run the game.

Disable Aero Glass does not seem to fix that.
  • edited November 2007
    Interesting. I'll do some testing with that on Monday.
  • ElzElz
    edited November 2007
    Okaaaay. I got it working ...by running it in Windows 98/ME compatability mode. I tried XP Service Pack 2 mode first, but that didn't help. I'm quite suprised this worked, but hey at least something did! (see attached image)

Also for the record I tried everyone else's suggestions here first, without success. It seems we've all got similiar but slightly different problems, with similar but slightly different solutions.
  • edited November 2007
    Hmm, weird. I just installed Google Toolbar on my work machine and it didn't make a difference. I wonder if there's a specific old version that causes the issue.
  • edited November 2007
    Or it could just be a coincidence that we both were using that toolbar, and it was something else in IE internally that was fubared. I reinstalled the toolbar after getting the launcher working and it had no ill effects.
  • edited November 2007
    *boggle* It's just broken again! Now the question is, what the hell did I do (apart from power cycle my PC following a power cut)?

EDIT: I'm getting somewhere. I can fix and break it on demand, also getting that page where people were stuck with just the 'success' screen with no buttons.

EDIT TWO: One problem isolated. It's all down to one registry value (or wherever the IE security zone info is stored). In the 'My Computer' security zone, that you need to tweak the registry to make visible, there is an option in the Miscellaneous section called 'Access data sources across domains'. If that's disabled, I get my original javascript class not registered error. Set to enable or prompt, the launcher either works properly or, if you select no, you get the success page with no buttons at all. I imagine there are other settings there that might break the launcher.
  • edited November 2007
    6ovir8w.png
    I have done this and it didn't work. I tried disconnecting my internet and reconnecting and still nothing.
  • edited November 2007
    Can the people who've posted in this thread and haven't gotten it working yet please send me an email at tabacco at telltalegames.com? I'm hoping to get you to test a potential fix in the next day or so, since I can't reproduce it myself.
  • edited November 2007
    Ok, well I clicked on "No thanks, take me to the demo" and from there I used the Serial Number option which worked but now I'm getting this:

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/1277/samandmaxwr2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.