Performance problems with Ice Station Santa

edited November 2007 in Game Support
I just installed the game and ran it. It runs very sluggishly, even after rebooting my computer to make sure it wasn't a one-time thing after installation. I've dropped the resolution down to 800x600, and it's playable now, but it doesn't exactly run well. Framerate isn't that great, music and sounds stutters occasionally, and all over the place when loading a new location. The mouse lags quite a bit, to the point where I basically can't click on anything unless the camera is completely still.

I get the feeling that the system requirements posted in the support section are horrible outdated. My laptop exceeds the recommended requirements, specs are:

AMD Turion 1,7Ghz dualcore
1GB RAM
Radeon X1200 with 128MB memory
Windows Vista 32 bit
Nothing running except Windows and Avast antivirus.

I made sure that my laptop wasn't running in power saving mode, and because of other issues, all drivers are already updated to the latest version (audio, video, networking). Is there anything else I can do to increase performance?

Comments

• KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2007
    Try setting the graphics quality to low. That'll make it run as fast as it can on your machine. The X1200 isn't ideally suited for gaming.

I found an interesting thread regaring the X1200 here
  • edited November 2007
    Thanks, but it magically runs better now. I think the game loses a lot in performance if you switch resolutions without restarting the game, and since I just dropped it down from 1200x800, that seems to have affected things.

edit: also, my X1200 still runs Team Fortress 2 on lowest settings :cool:
  • edited November 2007
    I've noticed a similar issue while playing the Whack a Rat and driving mini-games. Visual performance and control sensitivity takes a definite nose-dive when things are flying around or flying to pieces, but the rest of the game runs perfectly smoothly.
  • edited November 2007
    Bieeanda wrote: »
    I've noticed a similar issue while playing the Whack a Rat and driving mini-games. Visual performance and control sensitivity takes a definite nose-dive when things are flying around or flying to pieces, but the rest of the game runs perfectly smoothly.

Agreed - it isn't a major drop, but it's noticeable... and I've got a pretty good PC. :)
This discussion has been closed.