Is Episode 201 better than Episode 101?

edited January 2008 in Sam & Max
Now the first episode of each series has been released I thought it would be intresting to compare them both.

I think the voice acting in Ice Station Santa is a bit better than in Culture Shock. The music in both games is awesome. I'd say the mini-games are more fun in epsiode 201 than in 101. I think the puzzles are equally fun. I like the hint system a lot (first time I've gotten through an adventure game without having a look at a walkthrough which makes it a lot more fun to play).

So what do you think?

Comments

• edited November 2007
    At the moment I'm going to say yes. ISS had better voice acting and animations, while Culture Shock was all brand new stuff as we'd never seen the office, Bosco's, Sybil's etc before.
  • edited November 2007
    Episode 201 is way better than 101, since the groundwork was laid out in the previous season. I nearly felt overwhelmed by the amount of stuff in the office in the opening segment, and thats saying something!

Only argument was the ending, a bit clichéd and hasty, didn't suite Sam & Max's style of violent negotiation. :)
  • edited November 2007
    episode 1, season 1, is still my favorite. Brady Culture is the best "boss"(to use super mario expressions) of all the episodes. Also, I loved knocking the crap out of the soda poppers. Oh, I wish I could do it again... and again... and again....... but most of all, I love the first episode of the first season the most because the humour is the exact humour I love. Very nice wordplay.

Also, I can replay the first episode of the first season again a lot of times and still laugh at the jokes. I didn't have that experience with the other episodes. When I replayed them, the jokes already felt used up. It seems to be the same with the first episode of this season(but I haven't played it enough to be sure about this). But when that is said, I never expected there to be replay value either, so it was just a super added bonus which pushes the first episode of the first season up to the top.
  • edited November 2007
    I love the improvements in season 2 but season 1 has the best story lines and puzzles I think.
  • edited November 2007
    its a tough one but i think that season 2 episode 1 is better than season 1 episode 1.
  • edited November 2007
    Much, MUCH better. It was a fine game, but telltale's improved a LOT since then.
  • edited November 2007
    Its definetely better. S1E1 was good, but they've made a lot of improvements and refinements since then, so S2E1 is a big step up in terms of quality.
  • edited November 2007
    Well... Playing episode one for the very first time (at the TTG office, whoo!) generated a feeling that no episode could ever match, unless I'd have to wait another 10 years for it...

--Erwin
  • edited November 2007
    dozen times better. i actually want to replay s2e1, but not s1e1. way way way better.
  • edited November 2007
    I hated episode 101. Episode 201 made me laugh lots and lots. So yes, it's MUCH better.
  • edited November 2007
    I quite liked 101, and the rest of the first season, but I think 201 is great. Extremely great even.
    As I've been telling people who've asked about my impression on it, I've said that if 201 is the benchmark for the rest of season two, then the season will be great. It's graphically and gameplay wise much like season one, but now with extra added humour and Max being evil, which I really thought there was too little of in season 1.

Generally in season one there'd be one or two passages where I'd laugh out loud an episode. Here it seemed to happen every 15 minutes, so I'd say 201 is better than 101 and a great promising start to season 2...though Santa still couldn't match up against Brady culture.
  • edited January 2008
    4 words: episode 201 is better'

101 was kinda dull
Sign in to comment in this discussion.