future monkey island

edited November 2007 in General Chat
i know this subject has probably come up a million times, and if so, i'm sorry for even posting, but didn't telltale games buy the rights to monkey island a while ago? and if they did, when is production of a new game gonna start? im tired of waiting, i need #5!!!

someone pleased correct me or let me know why it isnt happening, it should clearly be the most important thing at hand

Comments

• edited November 2007
    :confused:

Nope. Sorry. Either your memory is playing tricks on you, or someone ELSE is playing tricks on you.

No monkey island rights. Not that we know of.
  • edited November 2007
    If that sort of news was made public, these forums would've exploded with excitement... and I'd most certainly of been joining in!!!
  • edited November 2007
    I wish!
  • edited November 2007
    I wrote a bit about this in another topic, but the fact is that Sam & Max is a pretty unique situation, and Monkey Island is a lost cause until LucasArts decides that they want to make a new one. If and when that happens, that's when we'll want to petition LucasArts to ensure that Ron Gilbert and possibly Telltale Games are involved in the process.
  • edited November 2007
    Sam & Max is different because it existed before it was ever a video game. Sigh... if only Ron Gilbert made a published MI comic back in the 80's
  • edited November 2007
    That's were those time machines come in handy!
  • edited November 2007
    Yeah. Except any way you look at it, time travel in these circumstances will either not be possible (because it hasn't happened ALREADY) or will damn anyone under 17 to never be born (because history is unzipped back to the point of your arrival in the past).
  • edited November 2007
    Nah. Just plant some Monkey Island comics in the past, so they can be discovered in the present, and experts can determine that they predate SOMI and thus declare Ron Gilbert the true owner of the license.
  • edited November 2007
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Nah. Just plant some Monkey Island comics in the past, so they can be discovered in the present, and experts can determine that they predate SOMI and thus declare Ron Gilbert the true owner of the license.

Now it's sounding something like DoT! ;)

I'm all for your approach though irrespective of the few technical hurdles we face going back in time! Couldn't we just get Max to do it?
  • edited November 2007
    I still haven't finished EMI. I hated the controls and the 3D models were terrible. I'll get around to it one day.
    If there was going to be another game I'd like to see Autumn Moon tackle it. They'd do it justice ;)

(I'd also be happy if Paco Vink finished his freaking SOMI comic!!!)
  • edited November 2007
    I dont need to tell this story again but ere goes... I just emailed "the company" and told them I was a huge fan and that oddly enough so is my daughter.. she loves sam and max as well !
    Anyway I told them it would be great to make a cartoon for sat mornings and know what I got in reply? A lawyer sending me an email stating if I even so much as put something down on paper such as an idea towards a cartoon of this nature they would sue the ever living junk outta me. Needless to say I told them off and told them they had a fan no more. But thats a lie now isnt it.. cant hate the game just the players, or is that to "sacramento" haha

Grr x 20
  • edited November 2007
    I'm gonna make my own cartoon....with hookers, and blackjack!
  • edited November 2007
    @Maratanos
    I say, don't waste time on a paradox, care about the crystal!
  • edited November 2007
    xChri5x wrote: »
    I'm gonna make my own cartoon....with hookers, and blackjack!

Aah forget about the cartoon.:)
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited November 2007
    Silly Bob wrote: »
    Aah forget about the cartoon.:)

...and the blackjack.
  • edited November 2007
    Soo.... you're just interested in the hookers?

:eek:
  • edited November 2007
    I don't know that I agree about MI making a decent Saturday morning cartoon. Unlike, say, Sam and Max, the story in the MI games seems to be fairly uh... quest-based, better fitting to a 3-act film structure than an episodic "conflict of the week" structure. Although an argument could be made for a serial "season-long quest arc" structure, but that wouldn't go too well with the SatAM crowd anyway.

Still, I'm up for anything that'll piss off LucasArts lawyers, so if anybody wants to try to make one, I'll be happy to help out XD
  • edited November 2007
    There's this awesome cartoon of SOMI
    http://www.majusarts.de/film/monkey/ENG/monkey_eng.html

5 minutes, covering the whole game!
    edited November 2007
    Maratanos wrote: »
    Soo.... you're just interested in the hookers?

:eek:

ahh, forget the whole thing.
  • edited November 2007
    I have to say, I find this conversation pretty funny.

Maybe it's because of the conjunction of your Nick Bounty avatar and statements that I can so easily hear come from his mouth...

Incidentally, did you do the voice acting? Because it's pretty stunning.
    edited November 2007
    Maratanos wrote: »
    Maybe it's because of the conjunction of your Nick Bounty avatar and statements that I can so easily hear come from his mouth...

Incidentally, did you do the voice acting (for Nick Bounty)? Because it's pretty stunning.

Nope. Nick Bounty's voice was provided by Jason Ellis, a long time friend and Actor working in New York. Other voices were provided by John Bell (Sherlock Holmes), Marc Baigi (Runaway) and Lani Minella (Nancy Drew).

I did have one speaking line in the game however, I was the guy who said "Ow! My eye!" when Nick threw the dart out the window.

...we now return you to your regularly scheduled Monkey Island topic! ;)
  • edited November 2007
    great cast there :P you know some peps!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.