Overall Connection between the Episodes in Season 2

edited January 2008 in Sam & Max
:DHi there!

Have you guys already thought about what might be the overall plot connection between the 5 episodes in Season 2?

WARNING, SPOILERS AHEAD (obviously)!!!!

I predict that the recurring enemies will be people/obstacles/demons that all always connected to some big corporation, as was seen in the first episode with the Shambling Corporate Presence...

A major hint to me was the the message from my favorite newspaper, "Worse News", where they say that America has been bought by some corporation, HeavyCorp or some such?

So, Sam and Max will have to defeat these evil, faceless corporations (probably from taking over major holidays like Christmas and Easter) and in the end come to the astonishing realization that it is none other than SATAN himself who is behind it all...

For that, of course, they are punished by having to starve on a piece of rock surrounded by lava in Hell itself, only to be rescued at the last moment by Santa's sleigh...
And Satan himself is finally defeated through some totally nonsensically action, like instantanious combustion or whatever...

Just my 2 (Euro-)cents... :D

Kord

Comments

• edited November 2007
    I think
    jelly pudding
    will somehow be a factor in all of the episodes...
  • edited November 2007
    I hope your not right about all this cause it sounds like your spot on. Meaning TT will have to scrap their idea.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2007
    Haha! If people are spot on that's fine, we won't scrap it. Many people suspected
    Hugh Bliss and Prismatology
    early on last year, and they were right.
  • edited November 2007
    Purcell's always been making fun of Scientologists, so that was an easy one to figure out.

But it sounds like a credible idea, and not a bad one at that. Though I'd like to see season 3 contain relatively random disconnected episodes. That would make for a variety.
  • edited November 2007
    They wake up and it's all a dream.
  • edited November 2007
    Haggis wrote: »
    I think
    jelly pudding
    will somehow be a factor in all of the episodes...

MAX SLOWMO MODE: DONT EAT THE JELL-OOOOOOOOO!!!!

I hope the ending of E1 was the only reference to Satan. I don't like god/satan stories and BTW Max will choose the side of Satan and will never defeat him.
  • edited November 2007
    If its a big corporation we have to ask why would they sabotage christmas..and then be involved in something at easter island.. one thing about easter island and santa is they've been around for a long time..so it could be an ancient enemy who could be a few hundred years old.."Easter Island is one of the youngest inhabited territories on Earth" could be satan..could be a time traveller...
  • edited November 2007
    I think it's
    The Mexican
    and the way you defeat him is to say all the key words in a certain order over the course of the episodes he shows up in.
  • edited November 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    Haha! If people are spot on that's fine, we won't scrap it. Many people suspected
    Hugh Bliss and Prismatology
    early on last year, and they were right.

Yeah, but you DID change something.

You removed the spectrum order of credits backgrounds... :(

Ha! I listened to your commentaries! Feel your own information used against you!
  • edited November 2007
    It would be sweet, sweet if the ones behind it all is MircoSo... I mean MicroHard (That was what the newspaper said, right?)
  • edited November 2007
    i think it was macrohard..but i also think that was just a simple joke. or was it?
  • edited November 2007
    For 10.000 years it has been asleep....(TRAILER)
  • edited November 2007
    unsilviu wrote: »
    For 10.000 years it has been asleep....(TRAILER)

Sam & Max's villian for Season 2 is Rip van Wrinkle?
  • edited November 2007
    Zeek wrote: »
    Sam & Max's villian for Season 2 is Rip van Wrinkle?
    Either that, or we were ripping off, err, parodying somebody else with that trailer.
  • YitYit
    edited November 2007
    My guess is holidays. That's why there's not one in December. They already used christmas. January-new years. Feburary- Valentines March- ... erm...

Well, it worked there for a little while!
  • edited November 2007
    St. Patrick's Day! :)
  • edited November 2007
    My guess is that a dog and a rabbit will use witty banter and unrestrained insanity to defeat a villain.

Just a guess, but if I'm right, remember who called it. :P
  • edited November 2007
    I'm guessing that the Macrohard corporation may play a larger role in the future... just because if it was really just a random pop culture reference, and there was nothing more to it, I don't see why they wouldn't just use Microsoft's real name in the joke. Changing it to "Macrohard" only makes the joke less funny, in my opinion, unless they plan to have the corporation appear in later episodes, in which case, of course they couldn't call it Microsoft.

Then again, the Phoenix Wright games do that all the time, which kind of bothers me... pop culture references don't have the same "zing" when I have to mentally decode the parody names first.
  • edited November 2007
    How about if MacroHard was just chosen because they really didn't feel like risking getting sued by MicroSoft for some silly reason? I mean, when a guy named Mike Rowe can't make some software, what wouldn't they do when you actually make fun of he who shall not be blamed.

I suspect the Internet didn't die and is back. The shambling corporate presence seems to have gotten better after all those cute kittens and are ready for more. It even seems to have moved out into reality 1.0 for fresh meat.
  • jmmjmm
    edited November 2007
    Oh, fer crying out lout... its obvious. The real connection is THEM.
    {Bosco shrieks like a girl}

That's right, its THEM
    {Bosco shrieks like a girl}

As in corporate drones led by ?????
    Who turns out to be ????? in the season finale.

BTW,
    I sense that the
    future scene from 201
    will come back later as in
    "after defeating the main villain" the building crumbles leaving our heroes surrounded by lava. After some witty dark remarks about how to die/escape, Sam says "I have a thought, wait for it" and then the sleigh appears and they escape.
  • edited November 2007
    I'm guessing that the Macrohard corporation may play a larger role in the future... just because if it was really just a random pop culture reference, and there was nothing more to it, I don't see why they wouldn't just use Microsoft's real name in the joke. Changing it to "Macrohard" only makes the joke less funny, in my opinion, unless they plan to have the corporation appear in later episodes, in which case, of course they couldn't call it Microsoft.

Then again, the Phoenix Wright games do that all the time, which kind of bothers me... pop culture references don't have the same "zing" when I have to mentally decode the parody names first.

Because, quite frankly, Microsoft is a registered and trademarked copyright. In order to use it in a form of media that makes a profit they would either have to get permission from Microsoft and/or pay to use the name. And if they don't they run the risk of getting sued and or a cease and desist letter sent to them.

Hence why you always see the copyright info in the small print on game and DVD boxes or game splash that have other company logos on them.
  • edited November 2007
    Dedlok wrote: »
    Because, quite frankly, Microsoft is a registered and trademarked copyright. In order to use it in a form of media that makes a profit they would either have to get permission from Microsoft and/or pay to use the name. And if they don't they run the risk of getting sued and or a cease and desist letter sent to them.

Hence why you always see the copyright info in the small print on game and DVD boxes or game splash that have other company logos on them.

:-/ I know what copyrights are. I still argue that it's perfectly legal to mention Microsoft in a single joke without any permission. They mention eBay, YouTube, and MySpace by name, correct? I could be mistaken.
  • edited November 2007
    Well if Sam & Max just knew how to use the internet (v1.4) they could easily find Them for Bosco. Just type it into Google Earth. Was reminded there's a city in Denmark called Them the other day when I was shopping, noticed the place was selling Them cheese.
    So Max was wrong in S1E1....the cheese might not have been so innocent
  • edited November 2007
    DrakeFox wrote: »
    Well if Sam & Max just knew how to use the internet (v1.4) they could easily find Them for Bosco. Just type it into Google Earth. Was reminded there's a city in Denmark called Them the other day when I was shopping, noticed the place was selling Them cheese.
    So Max was wrong in S1E1....the cheese might not have been so innocent

Have you tried Them apples? How do you like them? :p
  • edited November 2007
    Nice that you can find those in google maps too :-)
    I usually like my apples in a bowl looking nice. Not so much fan of eating them.
  • edited December 2007
    Somebody smack me. "Macrohard" is an in-joke from Hit the Road. I thought it felt familiar.
  • jmmjmm
    edited December 2007
    Yup, the Macrohard maintenance droid from Bumpusville.
    Also a common nickname for our friendly software giant (a.k.a: MicroSponge)
  • edited December 2007
    I'm pretty sure the theme of Season 2 is possession, just like hypnotism in the first season.
  • edited December 2007
    I am liking my time travel theory a lot more after the episode 2 trailer
  • edited December 2007
    Hero1 wrote: »
    If its a big corporation we have to ask why would they sabotage christmas..and then be involved in something at easter island.. one thing about easter island and santa is they've been around for a long time..so it could be an ancient enemy who could be a few hundred years old.."Easter Island is one of the youngest inhabited territories on Earth" could be satan..could be a time traveller...

it looks like Sam & Max may travel back in time to easter island..
  • edited December 2007
    Hero1 wrote: »
    it looks like Sam & Max may travel back in time to easter island..

Doctor Who as main villain? Yes please! :D
  • edited December 2007
    No, no, the Master as villian.
  • edited December 2007
    I'm gonna have to go with the second guy on this one. Somehow, the Doctor as a main villain seems out of character. Suitably wacky for Sam & Max, but still. Got to keep continuity that comes from outside the Sam & Max series. Not so much inside.
  • edited December 2007
    With all of the movie parodies, maybe the villain will be
    George Lucas!
  • edited December 2007
    pfaffer wrote: »
    With all of the movie parodies, maybe the villain will be
    George Lucas!

Could that mean the final episode's title is something like
    Return of the Lagamorph
    or
    A Freelance Menance
    ?
  • edited December 2007
    I'm not so crazy about time travelling. But I see no reason, why they should travel to the Easter Islands BACK in time, just because of a portal. I think, the portal is just for travelling, like a Stargate. Also, the synopsis says nothing about time-travel!
  • edited December 2007
    I'm not so crazy about time travelling. But I see no reason, why they should travel to the Easter Islands BACK in time, just because of a portal. I think, the portal is just for travelling, like a Stargate. Also, the synopsis says nothing about time-travel!
    But just think about the whole setting: there's the
    Fountain of Youth
    , and there's
    babies
    ... to me that seems like there's time travelling involved, perhaps they need to travel back in time in order to
    prevent those guys that are now babies to drink from the fountain
  • edited December 2007
    I would love for the season theme to be time travel, I really would, but for the moment it still feels like wishful thinking to me.
    The babies seem to be having a great time, the puzzle may as well be to refill Sybil's mineral water bottle with fountain water.
    Speaking of time travel, though,
    there being a volcano is an interesting detail. I think the Christmas Future point may be resolved sooner than we first expected. :)
  • edited December 2007
    Harald B wrote: »
    I would love for the season theme to be time travel, I really would, but for the moment it still feels like wishful thinking to me.
    The babies seem to be having a great time, the puzzle may as well be to refill Sybil's mineral water bottle with fountain water.
    there being a volcano is an interesting detail. I think the Christmas Future point may be resolved sooner than we first expected. :)

Are you guys really fixed on seeing that
    Christmas future
    scene again? I for one am not bothered.
  • edited December 2007
    Harald B wrote: »
    Does that mean
    one of the inventory items will be a bag of pork rines
    ?:D
    Are you guys really fixed on seeing that
    Christmas future
    scene again? I for one am not bothered.

Only from the other side to learn the context of it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.