Super Mario Galaxy

8b9sgfp.jpg

I got this game yesterday and I've clocked around nine hours on it at the moment. To say this game is awesome is an understatement. This game is, simply put, one of the best games of all time and this shows in the reviews.

Every single second of the game is different and unique and you'll never put the game down (unless you come onto a forum to tell people how good a certain game is).

So - who's getting it? Got it? Thoughts?

Comments

• edited November 2007
    I'd love to play it but I don't have Wii. I don't like the Wii controles, it makes my arms to tired and sometimes it doesn't respond. If they release it for the X-box i'd but it. Also, if they had a downloadable demo of it for the PC i'd download it in a second.
  • edited November 2007
    I bought it, by which I mean I made Seg go out and buy it for me. It's awesome, although I haven't had too much time to put in. Until this weekend, of course :)
  • edited November 2007
    I've been playing it non stop since I got it. Easily game of the year for me, and it has some of the best level design I've seen in awhile.
  • edited November 2007
    If they release it for the X-box i'd but it. Also, if they had a downloadable demo of it for the PC i'd download it in a second.

That's likely to happen... never. ;)
  • edited November 2007
    It is definitely an amazing game... in fact, why am I not playing it right now?
  • edited November 2007
    I bought it this morning with my little bro's money (don't worry, he gave it me, I'm no thief =P) seeing as I'd already spent up on the Orange Box and Sam and Max.

I'm not a big fan of Nintendo as a business, but their games are usually second to none, and this is no exception. I've clocked up about 6 hours on it today, and I've only got around 21 Stars.
    Massive improvement on Sunshine, especially in terms of variety. The graphics are amazing, definitely comparable with anything on the PS3 or 360. I wish it had a more interesting level hub with more secrets, like Mario 64's, but the actual levels more than make up for it.
  • edited November 2007
    I just got my Wii back from repairs (actually, got a new one), but I don't have Super Mario Galaxy yet. I ordered it at a store where they're selling it for 10 Euros less than elsewhere, but now I'm waiting for it to be delivered to the store so I can pick it up. I hope I get it really soon!
  • edited November 2007
    Got it yesterday just after school, and have mostly played it since.
    I need to get a life...
  • edited November 2007
    To be honest, I didn't really enjoy playing the first few levels, or 'galaxies'. Playing it felt more like a chore than anything. Only at around 30 stars did the game begin to feel like it had any challenge in it at all. I've clocked in something like 5 hours total and am at a bit over 40 stars now. Now I can safely agree that SMG is quite great. :)
  • edited November 2007
    I'm at 36 stars now, I think. I didn't mind the first few galaxies, they were easy, but fun.

We need more games like Maz-Gal (that's my nickname for Mario Galaxy, seeing as I've confused everyone on MSN by calling it that). Games that try to be fun over anything else.
    I'm sick of shooting terrorists in grey urban settings, and blowing up alien grunts in large plain fields, and I don't want to have to go home at the end of the day, and play a video game about the same thing :P

Maz-Gal's fun, imaginative, has more variety in one level then most games do in their entirety, and isn't afraid to be colourful and childish. Anyone who could turn their nose up at the game for being too "kiddy" for them is either at that age where they're still a kid themselves but is trying too hard to be grown-up, or just doesn't have a heart.
  • edited November 2007
    Badwolf wrote: »
    Anyone who could turn their nose up at the game for being too "kiddy" for them is either at that age where they're still a kid themselves but is trying too hard to be grown-up, or just doesn't have a heart.

I agree. Though Zack & Wiki is too cartoony and animey in my opinion. Mario Galaxy is just about right.
  • edited November 2007
    At the moment I'm on the final Galaxy;
    the garden
    . I have enough stars to go and find my 'special one', but I'm aiming for all 120 so I can get
    Luigi at the end

(I don't suggest uncovering the final spoiler box if you've kept your ears shut from spoilers - it's a big one!)
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2007
    Maz-Gal's fun, imaginative, has more variety in one level then most games do in their entirety, and isn't afraid to be colourful and childish. Anyone who could turn their nose up at the game for being too "kiddy" for them is either at that age where they're still a kid themselves but is trying too hard to be grown-up, or just doesn't have a heart.

This. I'm under the impression most people who hate brilliant games for being too childish are themselves between the ages of twelve and fifteen, screaming at their mothers for blocking the Halo 2 screen with the vacuum cleaner.
  • edited November 2007
    Im going to buy it soon... I just need time to play it! It seems awesome :)
  • edited November 2007
    it's just a super mario game, how can it be so awesome? everybody's talking about it as if it was the best thing ever invented. i'm pretty curious now. do i need to buy a wii and mario galaxy or miss the greatest event of the century?
  • edited November 2007
    wisp wrote: »
    it's just a super mario game, how can it be so awesome? everybody's talking about it as if it was the best thing ever invented. i'm pretty curious now. do i need to buy a wii and mario galaxy or miss the greatest event of the century?

I think buying a console one game is pointless. Check out the Wii's games and see what you like - if there is enough enticing stuff there, go for it.
  • edited November 2007
    I think buying a console one game is pointless. Check out the Wii's games and see what you like - if there is enough enticing stuff there, go for it.
    One should also take into account future releases, like the heavily anticipated Smash Bros. Brawl.
  • edited November 2007
    Actually I have pretty much bought Wii exclusively because of Smash Bros. Brawl. I've tried the games that have come out so far, but really the only game I'm looking forward to on Wii is SSBB.
  • edited November 2007
    I think buying a console one game is pointless.

I bought a 360 for Dead Rising :P Good thing I made sure it had a good library of non-Dead Rising games, since it turned out to be slightly disappointing. (Still a great game, just waaaaay too difficult.)

Speaking of difficulty, that's the one thing that'd keep me from Mario Galaxy if I had a Wii. I absolutely fail at platforming. Always have, always will. But it definitely looks quite fun and original.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2007

If you're going to use the phrase "just a super mario game," you probably shouldnt buy a system just to play it. :)
  • MelMel
    edited November 2007
    I was struck by this bit in a NY Times article about the game:
    There are plenty of games for serious gamers, but Mario has always starred in games for everyone. So to test whether Mario could still appeal to an overeducated, media-saturated audience, I assembled a panel of nongaming yuppies in their 30s at my house last weekend, put the Wii controls in their hands and sat back to check the reaction.

Judging by the hours of giggles, chortles and downright guffaws, especially from two women who hadn’t played a video game in many years, Mario still has the goods: the madcap visual humor, the cheesy yet oddly compelling musical score and that incessant tug to play just five more minutes.

:) (When I finally get a Wii, I'm definitely going to try this one)
  • edited November 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    If you're going to use the phrase "just a super mario game," you probably shouldnt buy a system just to play it. :)

it's not like i don't find mario stuff entertaining, especially the old 2D games, but i've read comments like "best game ever" about galaxy. since i missed a lot of the newer games, maybe i should get sunshine for the cube first.
  • edited November 2007
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Speaking of difficulty, that's the one thing that'd keep me from Mario Galaxy if I had a Wii. I absolutely fail at platforming. Always have, always will. But it definitely looks quite fun and original.

Actually, in that case Mario Galaxy is definitely your game. It's a perfect fit for platforming novices.
  • edited November 2007
    it's not like i don't find mario stuff entertaining, especially the old 2D games, but i've read comments like "best game ever" about galaxy. since i missed a lot of the newer games, maybe i should get sunshine for the cube first.

Sunshine's definitely nowhere near as good as Galaxy or 64. It's still a good game in its own right, but it doesn't hold a candle to the other two.
  • edited November 2007
    Sunshine sucked monkey balls...
    And i didn't like Mario 64 either.. You have to search alot in that game.

But i bought Mario Galaxy and it's one of the best games i played this year! (Ok, next to HL2: Orangebox, bioshock and Sam and Max ofcourse). Great gameplay, it feels like a much more like an oldschool 2d mario. I will give it a 10 out of 10.. there is totally nothing wrong with this game!
  • edited November 2007
    Linque wrote: »
    Actually, in that case Mario Galaxy is definitely your game. It's a perfect fit for platforming novices.

Really? Nice. I guess it looks harder than it really is. (Like Space Giraffe)

If I ever fall down the Wii Well, I'll have to pick it up.
  • edited November 2007
    Linque wrote: »

It does get quite tough in the last levels though...
  • edited November 2007
    It does get quite tough in the last levels though...

But you only need 60 stars to finish the game, and it never gets *that* hard.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.