Sam and Max 2-5 won't start at all

edited January 2008 in Game Support
After a busy patch of work I decided to get episode 105 to start catching up. I bought it, downloaded it and installed it, and the little shortcut is there on my desktop, but on attempting to open it, the mouse shows the hourglass for a few seconds, and if I go to the task-manager, Sam and Max: Reality 2.0 shows up as a running process, but it never actually appears. I had the same problem with 2-4 when I attempted to replay them (they had worked initially) but none with 1, for some bizarre reason.

I'm running windows xp, with DirectX 9.0c and 1GB of RAM. The other games stopped working after I changed graphics card so I wonder if that may be the problem - I now have Radeon X1650 - is there a known problem with that? Anyone have any ideas? Please help! :)

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2007
    Sounds like it is either DirectX or your video card drivers. You can get your latest video card driver here.

As for DirectX, I know you have 9.0c, Microsoft has this really annoying habit of updating DX a lot without ever updating their version number. Also, when you installed your new graphics card, it likely installed some form of DX itself, during which something could have gone wrong. Long story short, it is always worth the short download and re-install. Hope that helps!
  • edited December 2007
    Welp, DirectX is fully installed and up to date. I deleted and reinstalled my graphics card. Still no joy. Any other ideas...?
    edited December 2007
    When you say you reinstalled your graphics card, do you mean your old one?
  • edited January 2008
    Yeah, same one. I completely removed it, then completely reinstalled it. Sorry for slow replies, will try to be quicker :)
    edited January 2008
    Have you tried reinstalling the games?
  • edited January 2008
    Yeah but it can't hurt to try again :) Will let you know..
  • edited January 2008
    Reinstalling results in the same problem. If I look on Task Manager, Sam and Max is running as a process but never application.

Also, I've found that for some bizarre reason, if I run Reality Shock in compatibility mode for windows 95, then the launch window comes up. If I press launch it then comes up with an error, but it's still progress!
  • SegSeg
    edited January 2008
    Just to make sure, you are running on an administrator account and not a limited account, correct?

Still trying to think of what the problem could be, but want to ask that question first.
  • edited January 2008
    I'm on Windows XP rather than vista, but I'm an administrator if that helps.
  • SegSeg
    edited January 2008
    Do you have any anti-spyware or anit-virus programs installed? Epically significantly updated or installed between now and when you last played the games? I'm thinking there is a conflict between antivirus program and Sam & Max from fully running.
  • edited January 2008
    I have Norton Antivirus, but I've had that for a while and it's never interfered before. Ditto for Lavasoft Ad-Aware. Could always try with the antivirus disabled...
  • SegSeg
    edited January 2008
    Try running the game once with Lavasoft disabled first. If that doesn't work, try disabling Norton as well.

At the minimimum, it will narrow down the culperates if it works or does not. At best you'll be able to play the games and all will be happy!
  • edited January 2008
    The only difference it made is that my computer crashed if I turned off Norton and tried to run Sam and Max. Lavasoft isn't something that's on all the time, so it shouldn't make an impact.
    edited January 2008
    Thats... very very strange. It sounds like something very strange is going on with your computer and it may not necessarily have anything to do with the games. I'm going to mull this one over for a bit.
  • edited January 2008
    Sorry :( My computer has been on the blink a lot lately. Maybe it needs a format.

All I have to add is that I THINK the games all stopped working originally when my graphics card melted. The Mole, Mob and Meatball kept crashing every few minutes when I played it because my graphics card was overheating. I got a new graphics card and none of the others would work after that except Culture Shock. I played Abe Lincoln Must Die fine on another computer.
This discussion has been closed.