[TWD] Rewinding the game gives a black screen.

edited November 2012 in Game Support
Screenshot.

I am running the PC version of The Walking Dead through Steam, and have a 32-bit Windows Vista OS.

I have had some save problems and have had to resort to moving my prefs.prop folder from Documents/Telltale to Steamapps/common to fix it each and every time I boot the game up, this could be related to the problem.

I have just completed Episode 4, and wish to reload Part 5 of this to make a different choice. Reloading other parts do not work as well and still give this black screen.

Sometimes background audio is heard (Birds chirping and what not).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MattPMattP ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff
    edited November 2012
    Manually moving or editing your prefs and saves can cause many unforseen problems. There should only be one sets of prefs and saves for this game in your Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead folder. Any other instances of these files can prevent the game from launching, load to black screen, load without recognizing your save games, and corrupting your prefs.
  • edited November 2012
    Ah dammit, with the next episode in under a week I guess I'll have to be frantic and replay the whole game, I wish I didn't have to tamper with the save files but the game wouldn't load them properly otherwise. Gah
    edited November 2012
    This may be a sympton of something else. If you have your saves and prefs in the correct directory (and nowhere else) yet they don't load, make sure you are using the administrator account on your computer. If not, you can run the game as Admin by right clicking the executable. If this doesn't work, then the prefs is probably corrupt and you would need to replay to ensure you have the choices you want.
  • edited November 2012
    MattP wrote: »
    This may be a sympton of something else. If you have your saves and prefs in the correct directory (and nowhere else) yet they don't load, make sure you are using the administrator account on your computer. If not, you can run the game as Admin by right clicking the executable. If this doesn't work, then the prefs is probably corrupt and you would need to replay to ensure you have the choices you want.

I can view my choices just fine (Screenshot) through the stats, do you have any idea if this means they will work fine on the next episode? The only problem is when I try to rewind, even to the very first chapter of the episode I get this black screen.
  • edited November 2012
    I am having the same problem i cant go onto any of my games without it saying to rewind then it goes black and nothing happens, i really want someone from telltale to tell me how to fix it, im playing on a mac. and i havent touched where its been saved in folders on my computer
    edited November 2012
    If your Stats are reflected correctly, then they will most likely load your choices properly into Episode 5. Since you keep reaching a black screen when rewinding, then something else is going on. Can you continue your game from your last save (towards the end of Ep 4)? If so, try exiting to the Main menu after loading the save and then rewinding to the desired checkpoint.

If this still doesn't work, all I can suggest is that you attempt to reinstall Steam. This may seem extreme (and depending on the number of games you have installed, could take a significant amount of time). The reason I suggest this is that Steam recently converted system files for all it's games, and this may be causing the problem you are experiencing. At some point in the last few weeks you may have seen this notification message when launching the game. Reinstalling Steam should not affect your saves for Walking Dead, but you may want to backup other files from other games as it may affect them differently.
    edited November 2012
    I am having the same problem i cant go onto any of my games without it saying to rewind then it goes black and nothing happens, i really want someone from telltale to tell me how to fix it, im playing on a mac. and i havent touched where its been saved in folders on my computer

Before checking anything, please search your computer as instructed above for a prefs.prop file. You should only have one in your /Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead directory. Now, if you are being asked to rewind whenever you choose your save, you may be experiencing a related, but different issue. Are you playing the Steam or Telltale version of the game on your Mac?

If you have the version from our store, you may be missing one or more episode patches. Please look into your /Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/SyncFs/Data directory. There should be multiple folders here, one for each episode. In the first folder, WalkingDead101PatchFs, count the number of files and let me know what that is. Also check the other folders and count the number of patch files in each folder (these will start with a 0 then an underscore). If you want, you can also take screenshots and attach them to a reply.
  • edited November 2012
    i bought it from steam so steam is what im playing it on my mac. I did as you recommended and when into the walking dead file from my library. on the picture is what i found, there isnt any walking101 patches just these files, called saved_1save etc. i dont even get far enough to save i just try to open a saved game and it asked me to rewind before freezing and then nothing.

what do i do from now do i re enstall steam i only have a few games on there and nothing much has been played, if i enstall stream again will my progress come back ? or will i have to play the game all over again?
  • edited November 2012
    Alright, to test out whether it was the saves that were the problem I decided to create a new game and skip ahead to chapter 3, then click Play.

It asked me whether I wanted to generate random choices, I click Yes. Now, here's the weird part, it asks me whether I want to rewind my choices, even though it's a completely new game! Image.

Clicking either yes or no just leads back to the black screen, and I have to force shut-down of the process.

Edit: I fixed it! Although it was really damn lucky. Episode 5 got released a couple of minutes ago, I deleted ALL MY SAVES via the in-game delete option, (they were all backed up in case though) and then created a new game. I said stuff it, I'll play it with random choices, I just want to see the ending to this saga! After starting up a new game it asked if I wanted to randomize the choices, I said yes, and, well holy shit, all my choices are there. Doug was saved, Clementine has no hoody, Ben is dead, Kenny didn't come with me.

Either this was one freak coincidence or it somehow works after this. I'm really glad.

For reference for anyone reading this, I tried starting Episode 5 with my saves un-deleted and it gave me a black screen.

Sorry for the hasty spelling/grammar, the game literally just started, I'm just so excite! Squee!
  • edited November 2012
    Is there somewhere else i can go for help ? its been over 2 weeks since ive had this problem and im still no closer to fixing the problem, i just want to play the last episode and its frustrating to have bought a game i cant play !
This discussion has been closed.