TWD: All of my saves were deleted!!!!!!

edited November 2012 in Game Support
I had all of my saves yesterday but now all of my saves were deleted! HELP! I didn't delete them

Comments

• edited November 2012
    BUMP! This is important
  • edited November 2012
    Just downloaded episode 5 and have the same problem, I lose my save except episode 1
  • edited November 2012
    Having the same problem here, downloaded and installed episode five (on steam) and now the game tells me I'm yet to play episode 4.
  • edited November 2012
    telltale will do nothing about this. they dont care. honestly, they havent said any official word on it bc they know they screwed up and they cant fix it bc they just arent smart enough. im sure activision, ea games, 2k games all have the necessary tools and intelligence to fix it. telltale just doesnt. they are riding this one-hit wonder all the way to the grave.
  • MattPMattP ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff
    edited November 2012
    Each of your issues appears to be different. Can you each clarify what the issue you are experiencing is and how it manifests? Thank you.
  • edited November 2012
    MattP wrote: »
    Each of your issues appears to be different. Can you each clarify what the issue you are experiencing is and how it manifests? Thank you.
    After finished downloading episode 5. I started the game and there is only one save game, I have two save game. I losed my save game which I have finished episode 4.

Note: A while ago I copied prof file from my documents to steam folder before I started episode 2 because of save not carry over problem.
  • edited November 2012
    MattP wrote: »

- Downloaded the update.
    - Ran the game, got an error (I don't remember the error text, but it was weirdly self-referential? Something about being unable to display error?)
    - Restarted the game.
    - Nothing shows up in any of the three slots.
    - All of my files are in the correct folder, I confirmed this by moving them out, starting a new game, and checking where it saved (then moving everything back).
    -Also tried copying prefs.prop into packs/default folder as reccomended, no effect. (there was no prefs.prop folder anywhere in packs originally)

I'm guessing the problem is with prefs.prop because if I generate a new one by creating a new game with randomized choices, and then swapping it one of my saves with a new file name, it works fine. Of course, as I later found out, this still keeps the randomized choices that were made in the episode I'm not swapping out, so it's not a fix. But it does show that my save files are fine.

Pretty awful bug, I really hope my ~15 hours of progress aren't down the drain.
  • edited November 2012
    While not quite deleted I am having a similar problem.

Between finishing epsiode 4 and the release of 5 a friend started a game on my machine/account. He didn't play much. Now that 5 is out I fire up my game and it seems that my character hasn't made a single decision, owing to this my entire game is different.

I dropped Ben, yet somehow he's with me. I'm bros with Kenny and he's not too fond of me now, etc.

I have also tried diddling around with prefs.prop and other saved game doo hickies to no avail. I'm finding this quite on the frustrating side of things to say the least.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • edited November 2012
    Hypedog wrote: »
    - Downloaded the update.
    - Ran the game, got an error (I don't remember the error text, but it was weirdly self-referential? Something about being unable to display error?)
    - Restarted the game.
    - All of my files are in the correct folder, I confirmed this by moving them out, starting a new game, and checking where it saved (then moving everything back).
    -Also tried copying prefs.prop into packs/default folder as reccomended, no effect. (there was no prefs.prop folder anywhere in packs originally)

I'm guessing the problem is with prefs.prop because if I generate a new one by creating a new game with randomized choices, and then swapping it one of my saves with a new file name, it works fine. Of course, as I later found out, this still keeps the randomized choices that were made in the episode I'm not swapping out, so it's not a fix. But it does show that my save files are fine.

Just wanted to +1 this. Exact same issue, Windows 7 with no issues up until now.
  • edited November 2012
    Hypedog wrote: »
    - Downloaded the update.
    - Restarted the game.

Same here.
  • edited November 2012
    I lost all my progress at episode 3. Telltale support just told me, can't be fixed! I reinstalled steam and the entire game. I start the game again, then lose all progress this time in episode 2. It's atrocious that this issue hasn't been fixed.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2012
    @Hypedog
    @MagnumPI
    @slitka
    If your game crashed, the prefs.prop might have become corrupted.
    In that case it's best to try the "restore previous version" feature on the savegame folder (right click, "properties", "restore previous version").

There should be no prefs.prop in any other location for TWD.
This discussion has been closed.