"You have not purchased TWD"

edited December 2012 in Game Support
Another episode release, another problem.

Not surprised. Any estimate on when you all will get this fixed this time around?

Comments

• MattPMattP ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff
    edited November 2012
    Can you please clarify the problem you are experiencing?
  • edited November 2012
    Same problem here ...
  • edited November 2012
    I open the game. I click continue. A pop up appears that says...

"Your Telltale account does not currently have a license for the game. Would you like to go to the Tellgames website to purchase the game now?"

Obviously I have already bought the season pass. Also, I have tried the suggested fix of having the browser pulled up and logged into my account at TTG but that does not make a difference.
  • edited November 2012
    same problem here
  • edited November 2012
    Got this one too.

Occasionally would get this previously but could fix it by re-starting the game. I have tried that about about twenty times now but no luck.
    edited November 2012
    We are experiencing a larger amount of server traffic than normal due to the launch of Episode 5 today. Due to this, some requests may be timing out. Please wait a few minutes and restart your computer and then try again.
  • edited November 2012
    I have tried multiple times throughout the day and have restarted my computer on multiple different occasions before I would try.

I think what you are really saying is I would have been better off buying through Steam?
  • edited November 2012
    The worst part about this (from a consumer standpoint) is "I can't even play the game". I can't say "oh well, can't download ep5 because of server overload... guess i could start a replay".

If I had a friend over and wanted to show them this game and recommend they buy it, I couldn't even do that.
  • edited November 2012
    Downloaded it last night and it installed fine. Looking foward to playing it all day so tried to start this evening and now getting the you haven't bought the game pop-up.

After this and the omnishambles with the last episode this is definitely the last game i EVER buy direct from telltale.
  • edited November 2012
    So if the official Telltale response is "heavy server traffic", does that mean that even if we have already downloaded and installed all episodes, our ability to simply start the game relies solely on Telltales server availability??
    And having said that, does that mean that the game cannot be played (or started) offline?
    edited November 2012
    If you have logged in to your account before, you should have no problem playing the game offline. However, if you experience this issue, then try to play offline, you may run into the same error message.

If you are still experiencing this issue, there may be a problem with your prefs file. Before going this route, please try shutting down your computer for a few minutes, then restarting and relaunching the game.

If the problem persists, please navigate to your save directory (Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead), find your prefs.prop file, and move it to another location. Now restart the game, which will automatically generate a new prefs file. You may need to login again. If you no longer experience a problem with your account, then your prefs file is most likely corrupt, and your save games lost.

If this does not resolve your issue, then you can replace your prefs file (overwriting the newly generated one). The only other possibility is that a firewall or anti-virus program may be running that is interfering with the connection to our server.
  • edited December 2012
    i need help with this issue too, how can i force a relogin? ir emoved the prefs.prop file but i keep getting the"your telltale account does not currently have a license for this game" message
  • edited December 2012
    MattP wrote: »
    If you have logged in to your account before, you should have no problem playing the game offline. However, if you experience this issue, then try to play offline, you may run into the same error message
    No matter what I try, I've never been able to get the game started offline.

I've been getting the "Your Telltale account does not currently have a license..." from day one, with only about 1 in 50 attempts the game would start up.
    However it wasn't until random luck one day my laptop was offline from my home wifi network (where it usually is) and I was using my mobile phone to tether the 3G connection via USB cable for internet, and the game actually started on the first attempt! Just to be sure it wasn't a fluke, I closed the game and re-opened, and the game started up no problem!
    So my home wifi internet connection = game not working (basically).
    And disconnect from home wifi and tether internet from mobile phone = game working.
    I've jumped back and fourth between my home wifi internet and mobile internet connection, and the mobile internet connection works EVERY time.
    So what is it about my home wifi internet that the game doesn't like? I have no idea, keeping in mind that I've never had any problems with my internet connection with any other programs or devices for the past 5+ years.

So just out of curiosity (and ofcourse where it's possible), for those people who are getting the "Your Telltale account does not currently have a license..." error, try changing your internet connection.
    It's a crazy thing I know, but it worked for me, and I gotta say it's the most ridiculous work around for a game I have ever come across!
This discussion has been closed.