Help me fix this file save bug please [Steam]

edited December 2012 in Game Support
So I am playing on two files, file 1 and file 3. Both were saved as having completed episode 4 with different endings. I've played the game twice and done different things in each episode for each episode.

So I fire up Steam, eager to play episode 5 on each of my two files.

File one says episode 4 and file 3 says episode 3.

File 3 should say episode 4 too but I load file 1 anyway and it takes me to the last bit of episode 4. I press continue and play the last bit it and then the credits roll and I end up at the file menu again and file 1 and 3 now both say episode 4 now...Brilliant. The bug must be fixed...Nope.

I go to play episode 5 and it says "coming soon". What? I thought it was out already? so I check and find out, it is definitely out.

So I quit the game, load it up again and go to choose a file. file 3 now says episode 3 again so I choose file 1 and I can choose to play episode 5 but it asks me if I want it to generate outcomes for the episodes I didn't play.

That's not what I want. I've already completed episode 4 twice on two files and want to continue.

Is there a fix?

This save bug is really really annoying. Telltale need to sort this out. I hope they come out with a patch that lets you choose all the outcomes and then continue playing from where you want because this bug has affected a lot of people. It messed me up before too.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    I am having a similar issue where I can't continue to episode 5 with my episode 4 save. My only option is to continue from near the end of episode 4 or start episode 5 with random choices (which I am obviously not going to do)..

When I continue from episode 4 it starts near the end of that episode.. I've played through it as I did originally several times and it never saves after the credits roll (or whenever it does the final save).

Is this a known issue? Is there a fix being developed?

Thanks.
  • edited November 2012
    Also, the reason I know it's not creating the final save state is because when I look at my save, the last time it was modified was last month.
  • edited November 2012
    Well, I copied the instructions found here and it's working now.
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2913992

I've got my save files back and I'm playing the first file which looks to be right. Haven't tested the third file yet:

Basically you copy a perf.prop file from your username/my/documents etc folder and paste it into your steamapps/common/thewalking dead folder to overwrite the same file already there.

Detailed instructions are in that thread. I copied both existing pref.prop files into another location too so I have both in case I need them.
  • edited November 2012
    I think I figured it out... go into:
    \steamapps\common\the walking dead\Pack\WalkingDead104
    copy the prefs file from there and drop it into
    \steamapps\common\the walking dead\Pack
    and
    C:\Users\$name\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

It might just be one or the other but I did both.

You might also want to make backups of the ones you're replacing while you're at it.
  • edited November 2012
    Tried play my other file and it was a copy of my first file so I repeated copying the pref.prop file from my documents..etc to steapapps..etc and it works again. I guess you have to do that everytime you complete a chapter?
  • edited December 2012
    Had the same issue and when starting ep5 I let the game make the choices. Turns out it obviously did save the game and just doesn't know, cause the choices and the flashback were exactly those I made.
This discussion has been closed.