Duke Nukem Forever Teaser- Releasing in an hour!

edited December 2007 in General Chat
Yeah, you read that correctly, at noon CST, the DNF teaser will be released. Dunno how many here are fans of the Duke, but I thought you'd like to know. :D

Comments

• edited December 2007
    Actually he said 'around noon' so don't get your hopes up too high for an exact release.
  • edited December 2007
    There at it again?

Where would I go to see this thing?
  • edited December 2007
    It's out early :D

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50464

Good luck getting the page to load as millions of people catch wind of it, but I must say, this was a pretty good teaser. Still no date on the end of it though :(
  • jmmjmm
    edited December 2007
    Woo-hoo!
    DNF .... At last! (?)
  • MelMel
    edited December 2007
    The teaser will tide everyone over for the next decade when the next batch of screenshots gets put up.
  • edited December 2007
    It is comforting to know that there will be a game continuously developed and never released in my lifetime. I don't know what I would do if it ever came out.
  • edited December 2007
  • edited December 2007
    Harald B wrote: »

Epic! :p I'll have to start reading this one along with CAD and Hijinks Ensue :D

Ontopic: Here's a thought: If and when DNF does get released, do you think it'll actually be successful?

I don't mean with Duke fans and people wanting to see what took so long, but on it's own merits, can a character specifically tailored to 90's trends still be likeable?

For that matter, how long will it take Jack T. to have a heart attack over the violence, language, and chauvinism? :P
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2007
    I've been waiting for this game since I was 11.

I am now 21.

Is it weird that i'm nostalgic about DNF media releases? I'll never forget when I saw those first Quake II engine screenshots, or the amazing 2001 E3 trailer. I've spent more of my life waiting for [official] Duke games than playing them.
  • edited December 2007
    Haha, same here, waiting since 11, now 21, and painfully nostalgic for anything 3D Realms/Apogee/id. (but NOT anything Ion Storm :P)
  • edited December 2007
    Blast, I have only been waiting since I was 12. Although I am 22 now...
  • edited December 2007
    Only since 12!? :O NOOOOOOOOOB!!! :P

Oh, wait, I didn't math that.
  • edited December 2007
    ShaggE wrote: »
    and painfully nostalgic for anything 3D Realms/Apogee/id.
    Have you played "PREY"? It was scheduled to be released after Duke Nukem around 1996-1998, but got released before it in 2006.
    It’s really great IMHO
  • edited December 2007
    I played the demo, enjoyed it. (and the bar getting sucked into the ship while "Don't Fear The Reaper" plays is pure genius.)

Definitely a far cry from the original screens.

But alas, they just don't make 'em like they did in the Build era. FPSs will never reach that level of pure bliss again, I fear.
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2007
    Yeah baby.

dnf1tuq2.jpg

This was probably a lot bigger on a 640x480 monitor.
  • edited December 2007
    hmm, should dnf be released someday it simply has to be on of the top10 games ever..and by ever i don't mean "until now"..
  • edited December 2007
    Not to say I'm not excited, 'cause I am, but I keep getting dissapointed by DNF and I'm not willing to acccept thast it may actually be coming out unless, I can see some gameplay video.
  • edited December 2007
    I just don't see Duke Nukem Forever being that good a game. Back when DN3D came out, the only competition was really the Doom-series. Now we have the likes of Unreal Tournament, Crysis, FPS Role playing games, Bioshock and more.

I don't see how they even could release the game and not have it become a flop. I believe it's better off as vaporware.
  • edited December 2007
    A demo does not a game make...I'm not pre-ordering anything that's for sure.
  • edited December 2007
    Linque wrote: »
    I just don't see Duke Nukem Forever being that good a game. Back when DN3D came out, the only competition was really the Doom-series. Now we have the likes of Unreal Tournament, Crysis, FPS Role playing games, Bioshock and more.

That really depends... What made Duke great was the funny dialog and the fact that it didn't take itself too seriously which set it apart from all the other FPS to that point. (In some ways very similar to Sam and Max in the adventure genre.) If they stay with that formula it could be huge because it will be different than a lot of the other offering in the FPS market.

As for technical superiority, if they use the same engine used for Prey it should be able to hold it's own graphically and game play wise with top shooters out there. Besides next year looks like a down year for FPS's with only Far Cry 2 and STALKER 2 on the docket for big name FPS offerings.
  • edited December 2007
    ahhm..when duke3d came out it's major competition was quake? so, it wasn't really a question of technology. quake had real 3d entities, whereas duke still used sprites. however it was extremely funny, in a senseless and violent way, and had some nice multiplayer features and easy editor. we used to play duke3d multiplayer long after stuff like quake 2 was released.
    if 3d realms spend all this time to get a few nicely innovative elements and not just hopping from one 3d engine to the next, it still might come out fine.
    if they just tried to make the best looking game, then they will fail, i guess..
  • edited December 2007
    Quake was released half a year after Duke Nukem, so I wouldn't consider Quake its competition. When Quake came out, it blew 2d fps games out of the water. Naturally you wouldn't play Quake all the time so DN3D got some love as well, but Quake was all the rave and at least where I lived people didn't talk that much about Duke Nukem after Quake. By the very least not enough to call it victorious over Quake, not by a long shot.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.