Game crashes when starting up after recent update. (steam)

edited November 2012 in Game Support
So I've played chapters 1 to 4 of the walking dead and was very excited when the latest episode was released. I updated the game on steam and tried to run it.

Steam briefly loads the game, but no windows are opened and the loading screen doesn't start (I'm not even taken to the title page). After a few seconds I'm given the 'steam sales' popup window, which suggests that the process has started, crashed, and finished abruptly.
  • I've tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling it. (4 times)
  • I've tried uninstalling steam and reintalling it
  • I've tried running the executable in administrative mode, changing the compatibility settings (apparently this works with some people).
  • I've tried putting the 'missing .dll' file, that some people have issues with, inside the walking dead folder
  • I've backed up my save files and tried 'verifying the integrity of game cache' and also deleting local files.
  • I've temporarily removed my firewall / anti virus programs.
  • The last straw was installing the game on my laptop and STILL having it crash, which suggests
that the game has a problem with steam.

I've possibly tried every single piece of advice offered by people with the same problem. I'm getting angry because I feel like I've read 4/5ths of an amazing book, but I can't read the last chapter. I've already lost faith in downloadable content, can someone offer any more solutions before my face explodes?

Thanks

Comments

• edited November 2012
    So after doing a little bit of research I've found that the problem caused is actually related to the .dll files downloaded with the walking dead.

ntdll.dll
    fmodex.dll

I'll play around and see what I can do to fix the error and report my findings on this thread.
This discussion has been closed.