Bender's Big Score

edited January 2008 in General Chat
Has anyone else seen the new Futurama movie yet? I thought it was excellent! Oh, and I saw the Telltale guys picking it up at the San Rafael Best Buy on the day it came out, haha.

Comments

• edited December 2007
    It was an awesome movie. Yeah a whole bunch of us went out en mass to get it that day.
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2007
    I can totally picture that kind of mass excursion happening.
  • edited December 2007
    Words can't describe how great it was to see Futurama come back. (and at the same quality as before)

I hate cliffhangers though, so I hope The Beast with a Billion Backs is released soon.
  • edited December 2007
    Yeah, it was awesome. I'm excited for the next one (which, according ot the commentary, is probably next summer).
  • edited December 2007
    I was never that keen on Futurama, but all the seasons in a box set for £40 is enticing me.
  • edited December 2007
    Yes, I thought it was an excellent movie as well. And the "trailer" for the next one on the Best Buy exsclusive DVD makes me want to see the next one even more. lol

Tho I'm not a big fan of the packaging of it. Especially how the DVD is stored. I know they wanted to go green for the release, but the "slot" storage of the dvd makes it hard to get out and makes me worry that the DVD will get scratched by the edge. :/
  • edited December 2007
    I thought the movie was better than the simpsons movie.
  • edited December 2007
    I've always been impressed with how well Futurama handles drama. I think that made it better than the Simpsons movie, just because it feels more genuine when they go for serious moments.
  • edited December 2007
    tabacco wrote: »
    I've always been impressed with how well Futurama handles drama. I think that made it better than the Simpsons movie, just because it feels more genuine when they go for serious moments.

Amen. The Jurassic Bark episode had me bawling at the end, both times I watched. I love the callback to it in the film.

As for Simpsons drama, well... not so much. Except in the movie, with Homer watching the tape. That got me a bit.
  • MelMel
    edited December 2007
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Amen. The Jurassic Bark episode had me bawling at the end, both times I watched. I love the callback to it in the film.

Ditto. I lose it big time with that episode. The other one that really got to me was the 7-leaf clover episode (I don't know the official title).

I'm glad I read some other opinions on the film. The only other place I visit that has discussed it is Idle Thumbs and quite a few of them were not happy with it.
  • edited December 2007
    *Geek mode* That'd be "Luck of the Fryish" :P
  • MelMel
    edited December 2007
    Thank you, you Futurama geek you. :)
  • edited December 2007
    Heehee, I'll never laugh at a Trekkie again :P

Okay, yeah I will. :D
  • edited December 2007
    Mel wrote: »
    Ditto. I lose it big time with that episode. The other one that really got to me was the 7-leaf clover episode (I don't know the official title).
    Those two episodes have also gotten to me. The episode where Leia meets her parents for the first time is also emotional, especially the part where Leia was going to kill her parents and the ending flashback afterwards. I am happy that the movie has an emotional storyline.

As for the Simpsons movie, it was okay and I agree, it is missing heart that a lot of the Futurama episodes have. Also, the simpsons film dragged at one point during the Alaska sequence. It was nice that Homer found himself through the boob lady's guidance, but other than that, the whole trip for the Simpsons family going to Alaska and Homer going back to Springfield through various means seems unnecessary.
  • edited January 2008
    I loved Bender's Big Score. I think it was Theater worthy, much more so than The Simpsons movie. I did like Simpsons, but it was only consistently funny for the first hour or so, where as Bender's Big Score made me laugh throughout, I also felt more for the characters. The characters in Futurama just seem so much more emotionally involved, not to say I didn't feel sorry for Homer when Marge tried to leave him, but the plot was just so much better in Bender's big score, both comedically and even emotionally. One thing that did annoy me though [spoilers]
    I predicted the second I heard Lar's voice that he was really Fry. The actor didn't hide the voice too well :(
  • edited January 2008
    About what you put in that spoiler
    Well when I heard Lars' voice 1st thought in my head was "Well there's yet another voice that they had Billy West do." I mean he does a TON of people in Futurama. Fry, Professor Farnsworth, Zoidberg, Zapp Branigan. And that's only the tip of the iceberg. Heck they themselves joke about how often they use him for characters. But I pretty much put 1 and 1 together when Lars overheard about all doubles created by time travel eventally die due to the Paradox Remover effect at the wedding and immediatly called off the wedding.

A guy in my City of Heroes Supergroup had a similar yet different assumption when Lars appeared. He thought that he looked like Fry, but dismissed it because a lot of Matt Groening's character designs look similar to each other. :D
  • edited January 2008
    Yeah, I pretty much wrote it off as 'more Billy West' too. He does do a few voices that are pretty similar
  • edited January 2008
    Well I didn't spot it. So not everyone does. The revelation was quite clever, I thought :)
  • edited January 2008
    Dedlok wrote: »
    About what you put in that spoiler
    Well when I heard Lars' voice 1st thought in my head was "Well there's yet another voice that they had Billy West do." I mean he does a TON of people in Futurama. Fry, Professor Farnsworth, Zoidberg, Zapp Branigan. And that's only the tip of the iceberg. Heck they themselves joke about how often they use him for characters. But I pretty much put 1 and 1 together when Lars overheard about all doubles created by time travel eventally die due to the Paradox Remover effect at the wedding and immediatly called off the wedding.

A guy in my City of Heroes Supergroup had a similar yet different assumption when Lars appeared. He thought that he looked like Fry, but dismissed it because a lot of Matt Groening's character designs look similar to each other. :D
    The thing is though, the professor, Zoidberg, Zapp, and many other of the characters do NOT sound like Fry or Lars did. That's another reason I felt like he wasn't doing a good job of hiding the 'twist'.
  • edited January 2008
    Eh. I can see your point. But the thing is, if you are one that watches a lot of animated shows (like I do) and become a fan of certain voice actors (like I do) and hear their work quite often (like I do) you tend to notice, that while they may be a "man (or woman) of many voices, there's a certain point where they will still sound like themselves no matter how they change their voice or how may roles they take. And after hearing it enough you just go from "Hey! He sounds just like that other character! I wonder if there's a good reason for that?" to "Hey! That's Billy West doing that voice! Boy he gets a lot of work!"

So in short, I agree while the voice could be obvious to some people, there are probably just as many people (or more) who would jus simply hear the similarity and just shrug it off as someone who gets a lot of work in voice acting and shrug the similarity as just another variant of the actor's voice or simply just not notice it.

Heck, in the commentary of the movie they said themselves that they weren't sure they wanted to risk using a similar voice in case people would figure it out too soon. But then they figured it would ultimately be all right and in the end it would work better as a hint/a thing that when people rewatch the movie later on that would be a "Ah! So they they didn't just pull that out of their asses and totally made that revelation out of the blue! They actually thought it through some before the did that!
  • edited January 2008
    Crap. Why isn't this released here? I love Futurama!

--Erwin
  • SegSeg
    edited January 2008
    As one of the members of the Telltale excursion to pick up our own copies, I feel I need to chime in.
    I honestly didn't catch on the whole Fry/Lars connection besides the fact it was the same voice actor. Which as stated before, a common practice and didn't think too much about it. Course, I also watched it in spurts on my iPhone. Had I watched it all in one sitting I may have made the connection.

But man, what a pay-off for the Fry = Lars reveal! It's been a long time since I've seen that kind of emotional hit with television. On par with the finale of Cowboy Bebop. That single moment made the whole piece for me. Going to be hard to follow that up! Also makes me wonder how (and if) the relationship with Lars will effect Lela's relationship with Fry.
  • edited January 2008
    Erwin wrote: »
    Crap. Why isn't this released here? I love Futurama!

--Erwin
    i know how you feel, but i found a store over here that sells the thing for 19€. Want the link?
    still need to buy it myself though..
  • edited January 2008
    Sure, PM me! (Or just post it here)

--Erwin
  • edited January 2008
    I like Bender. In fact, I think he's the "whole" show. Kinda like how Homer is for the Simpsons...
  • edited January 2008
    When I first saw Lars, I too thought he looked and sounded like Fry, but didn't pay much attention to it till later on; I thought he looked like Fry since the character designs is simple like the simpsons and as other ppl have noted, Billy West does a lot of voices in the show where a few characters sound a like. For isntance, Fry and that human Cop sound so similar to one another. Zap sounds differen simply to pay homage to the late Phil Hartman, who was intended to be the voice of Zap.

My brother found out he was Fry after hearing Lars saying "I have always loved you" to Leia.
  • edited January 2008
    doom saber, can you please edit your post and put [ spoiler ] tags [ /spoiler ] around the relevant parts of it? There's still a fair few people out there who haven't seen the new Futurama movie yet.
  • edited January 2008
    Like me. *sulk*

--Erwin
Sign in to comment in this discussion.