Steve Purcell meantioned on Pixar Shorts Vol. 1 DVD!

edited January 2008 in General Chat
If you have this DVD, watch the Cars short "Mater and the Ghost Light." Towards the end, John Lassenter talks about Steve Purcell's contribution to that particular short, which was designing the Screaming Banchee at the end of the short.

It's interesting to hear what his boss and co-worker thinks of him. The funniest thing that I heard when they talked about Steve was that "drawing monsters is his waste product."

No mention of Sam & Max, but I can only wonder what Pixar thinks of those two.

Comments

• edited December 2007
    you bought that

or did some horribly misguided relative give it to you for christmas?
  • edited December 2007
    i own it too, Pixar are awesome :D
  • edited December 2007
    I like Pixar's movies.

The shorts are usually pretty stupid though.
  • edited December 2007
    If you say so, dude :)
  • edited December 2007
    I was considering getting that one...
  • edited December 2007
    The shorts are usually pretty stupid though.
    You probably wouldn't say that if you knew why they continue to make shorts instead of just concentraite on features.

I mean, at this point, if the powers that be in Pixar wanted to, they could give Steve the opprotunity to actually explore producing a Sam & Max short using Pixar's equipment. But that's if you knew why they continue to make shorts to this day, or course.;)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2007
    Kedri wrote: »
    I was considering getting that one...

Don't let that one guy dissuade you. He's just the assistant!
  • edited December 2007
    And a filthy one, at that.

Hm...perhaps...
  • edited December 2007
    I roll around in vomit all day. It gives me the "odor of success"!

Seriously though, you should read Transmetropolitan. It's a great comic series and where I got my username from. :)

The shorts are sorta amusing, I guess, but they could usually be a lot, well, shorter than they are. That abduction one before Ratatouille was dragged way out, for example. So was the band one (I think before Cars?)

The only one I still like is the old guy playing checkers with himself from Toy Story.

Pixar's movies are still fantastic, though. I used to hate Monsters, Inc and Finding Nemo, but it wasn't until The Invincibles that I realized Pixar isn't making comedies, they're just making animated films. Sure, there's comic relief, but Monster's Inc is basically Office Space, and Invincibles is just a regular superhero movie (albeit a very very good one). Cars is a standard "Road trip but gets stranded" movie, and Ratatouille is a story about heirs and inheritances, with a good dash of lower-class oppression, disguised as a cute rat movie about cooking.

whoa I spent way too fucking long writing all that
  • edited December 2007
    The Invincibles

The Incredibles, my good man. :)
  • edited December 2007
    The Incredibles, my good man. :)
    arrgh I've been reading Invincible lately and I knew it didn't sound right.
  • edited December 2007
    Pixar's movies are still fantastic, though. I used to hate Monsters, Inc and Finding Nemo, but it wasn't until The Invincibles that I realized Pixar isn't making comedies, they're just making animated films. Sure, there's comic relief, but Monster's Inc is basically Office Space, and Invincibles is just a regular superhero movie (albeit a very very good one). Cars is a standard "Road trip but gets stranded" movie, and Ratatouille is a story about heirs and inheritances, with a good dash of lower-class oppression, disguised as a cute rat movie about cooking.

whoa I spent way too fucking long writing all that

You sound like a friend of mine that deconstructed Pirates 3 and called the franchise racist without realizing that it was based on a 1965 ride that was contrusted during a time where racial political correctness was exclusive for the governmental forums of the time.

Either that or you are a bigger pessimist than me. And I can turn the world off with a frown.
  • edited December 2007
    Zeek wrote: »
    You sound like a friend of mine that deconstructed Pirates 3 and called the franchise racist without realizing that it was based on a 1965 ride that was contrusted during a time where racial political correctness was exclusive for the governmental forums of the time.

Either that or you are a bigger pessimist than me. And I can turn the world off with a frown.

Those were compliments to the movies, man. Also I don't really read much into regular movies. It's just a waste of time. I thought what I pointed out was pretty obvious.
  • edited December 2007
    I like Pixar's older shorts, like the original Knick Knack with the beach bunny with pokey nipples and large breasts and the mermaid with round beads for breasts...I gotta get out more, if I'm lusting after computer generated cartoon chicks. :)

Toy Story and Toy Story 2 were pretty cool, Bug's Life...so-so, Monster's Inc. was okay, Finding Nemo was pretty good, but more pretty to watch, The Incredibles was really good, Cars was okay and Ratatouille was okay. The short with the birds was annoying and I absolutely detested Boundin', it made me want to go get some popcorn, but I already had a bucket and a liter of cola. I'm taking the kids to see Wall-E, I'm really curious about it.

I bought all of them on DVD for the kids and I had Toy Time, the VHS collection of the original shorts before they gave the chicks in Knick Knack breast reduction surgery. My ex-wife took off with most of my DVD collection and most of my computer games (including both copies of Sam and Max Hit the Road and Day of the Tentacle and other classics) while I was at work.(Funny how ex-wife and Ex-Lax sort of sound the same?)

I haven't even bothered renting all of those Pixar flicks to copy them, much less buy them all over again. The kids don't even miss them. I bought Cars and Ratatoille when they were released.
  • jmmjmm
    edited December 2007
    wittzo wrote: »
    My ex-wife took off with most of my DVD collection and most of my computer games (including both copies of Sam and Max Hit the Road and Day of the Tentacle and other classics) while I was at work.(Funny how ex-wife and Ex-Lax sort of sound the same?)

Ouch!
    At least you can buy again most of the DVDs if you want to, but getting your classic computer games disks...
    Any chance to get at least some of those disks back?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    Seriously though, you should read Transmetropolitan. It's a great comic series and where I got my username from. :)

I keep getting confused anytime someone calls you "he"...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.