Monkey Island! Bring It Back!

The FlashThe Flash Banned
edited January 2008 in General Chat
BRING BACK A FIFTTH INSTALLMENT OF MONKEY ISLAND PLEASEEEEEEEEE. :eek:

omg i miss that game so much, grew up with it since the secret of MI. and never used a walthrough site once. i love the puzzzzzzzzles. grew up with that whole lucasart adventure genre , all except the indiana jones. eff lucas art for killing my dreams and im sure a thousand more. asses, but now we have telltalegames. and hopefully they'll do us all a favor and BRING BACK MONKEY ISLAND PLEASEEEEEEEE! in non episodic sequences of course <3 have a happy new years guys :cool:

Comments

• edited December 2007
    Easier said than done, I doubt LucasArts would be too willing to give away the license. Sam and Max was different, seeing as it was Steve Purcell who held the rights to the characters, but Monkey Island is 100% owned by LucasArts.
  • edited December 2007
    If LucasArts isn't making any more Monkey Island games why would they still want to keep the license?
  • edited December 2007
    For if they ever decide to make more, presumably, or so they have a safeguard if they ever fall into financial difficulty.
  • edited December 2007
    Badwolf wrote: »
    For if they ever decide to make more, presumably, or so they have a safeguard if they ever fall into financial difficulty.

haha when could that happen to lucas arts they own star wars which is pretty much a licence to print money
  • edited December 2007
    patters wrote: »
    haha when could that happen to lucas arts they own star wars which is pretty much a licence to print money
    Well, people could become intelligent, informed consumers and not make decisions based on "Oh, look, it's Star Wars!"
    Oh, wait...
    Nevermind.
  • edited December 2007
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    Well, people could become intelligent, informed consumers and not make decisions based on "Oh, look, it's Star Wars!"
    Oh, wait...
    Nevermind.

and one game adds to this

FIFA
  • edited December 2007
    Well, I just noticed on MobyGames that Ron Gilbert is credited as a special thanks on the latest Sam&Max episode. Ya never know :)
  • edited December 2007
    Till wrote: »
    Well, I just noticed on MobyGames that Ron Gilbert is credited as a special thanks on the latest Sam&Max episode. Ya never know :)

*prays that it may be restored to it's former glory after Lucasarts see what a big mistake they made after letting go of Sam & Max*
  • edited December 2007
    It was one of the first things I noticed in the credits... He isn't the only one of the LucasArts' golden age : Collette Michaud and Michael Stemmle are also in "special thanks".
  • edited December 2007
    There should be a banner everywhere saying.. "Telltale didn’t buy Sam&Max from Lucas Arts so stop asking us to buy monkey island, grim fandango or maniac mansion because... IT WON’T HAPPEN…. period"
  • The FlashThe Flash Banned
    edited December 2007
    aw so mean glenfx =( you have no hope for MK or any of those adventure games going to telltale. you never know what could happen. i guess your head was just stuck on a rabbit and a dog and not on monkeys, pirates, and skeleton bones. weak
  • edited December 2007
    I think the issue is that if you want a new Monkey Island, you have to ask LucasArts. Even if you want TellTale to make it, LucasArts is the company you need to nag about it, because they own it.
  • edited December 2007
    start a petition for lucasarts to give the rights to telltale to make a new monkey island game hehe
  • edited December 2007
    Lucas arts... *grumble grumble ampersand semi colon*
  • edited December 2007
    i love the monkey island series! one of the best! no idea if there's one coming out but lemme noe if it does lol
  • edited January 2008
    I enjoyed the Monkey Island series as well, but I don't think it would be a good idea to release another game. Just because a game (or movie, or TV series, or novel, et cetera) is good, doesn't mean it's a good idea to create an endless series of sequels and/or spin-offs.

I feel that the game designers more or less exhausted the possibilities for the series in the first three games. Every game had a new variation on insult sword fighting, a reincarnated LeChuck, a new reason for Guybrush to go save Elaine, some new island to explore, another meeting with Herman Toothrot... It was great fun and all, but it's also a formula that you can only repeat so many times before it becomes stale.

In part IV the writers already relied too much on parody and self-reference for my taste, and the result was that the game played more like a tribute to the older games than a great game that can stand on its own.

So I'd rather prefer experienced adventure game designers spend their energy on creating new, fresh material than rehash old formulas until everyone gets sick of it. Case in point: I enjoyed Grim Fandango (written by Tim Schafer, who also wrote for Monkey Island I & II) much more than Monkey Island IV. (And no, this doesn't mean I want a Grim Fandango II.)
  • edited January 2008
    I think if they brought back the right people, it wouldn't have to be a rehash. If you look at Monkey Island 2, very little of that game's plot is recycled from the first game, and most of it didn't get carried over into the later games, either. A lot of the monotony comes from people being afraid to stray from the series' roots, I believe. I think if they let Gilbert write the story, it would go in a completely different direction from 3 and 4, because he wouldn't have the same compulsion to try to recreate the first game.
  • jmmjmm
    edited January 2008
    Come'on people..... stop living the past. I would love a few Old Game +1 Version from Telltale, but TT needs to start making NEW things or they will stay as the little company that kept re-making franchise episodes/chapters/games.

They clearly have the talent so... NAY to Telltale's MI5 (and Grim Fandango 2, and any other OLD game that is talked about)

Besides, I sense a powerful force that prevents MI5 from happening.
  • edited January 2008
    Afraid so, despite Guybrush and the Voodoo Lady having five-game contracts.
  • edited January 2008
    Afraid so, despite Guybrush and the Voodoo Lady having five-game contracts.

Exactly right! That one-line is going to haunt us MI fanatics for all eternity!
  • edited January 2008
    Agree with all of u give us our Monkey island game back it was one of the most skillfullgame.
  • edited January 2008
    Couple semi-related notes:

1. I picked up a copy of the PS2 version of Escape from Monkey Island, after playing the first 3 games. I don't want to start a flame war (or invite spoilers; I'm still in Act I) but I have to say, I'm enjoying it so far.

2. For the past few days, Ron Gilbert has been doing some kind of countdown on his blog. Tomorrow we'll find out what it's about. Probably not anything Monkey Island related, but we'll see.
  • edited January 2008
    I didnt find scape of MI to be bad, though in PC using the keyboard reeeeaaaly sucks.

NOW, the ending is just TEEERRRIBLEEE!!, and "I" personally hated all the Monkey Kombat part. I havent played that game a second time because of this O_o'
  • edited January 2008
    LuigiHann wrote: »

2. For the past few days, Ron Gilbert has been doing some kind of countdown on his blog. Tomorrow we'll find out what it's about. Probably not anything Monkey Island related, but we'll see.

Maybe you soon will be able to play Monkey Island on your toaster?
  • edited January 2008
    I stopped playing EMI, so hateful of Monkey Kombat as I am. Wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't RANDOM.
  • edited January 2008
    The only thing I found amusing about Monkey Kombat was the stance "Drunken Monkey".
    Apart from that huge glaring plothole with
    Herman Toothrot being Grandpa Marley, even though he sailed to Monkey Island on the Sea Monkey with the dead guy and the dead guy referenced him as Toothrot in the ship's log. And the banana picker changed from a huge pair of hands to a small retractable thing. And Elaine suddenly going from an English accent to sounding like Roz from Frasier. And the fact that Australia wasn't officially called Australia until the early 1900s.
    I like Ron, Dave and Tim's Monkey Island games better.
    I also miss the Men of Low Moral Fiber.
  • edited January 2008
    So... Ron's countdown is finished.

DeathSpank, huh?
  • edited January 2008
    AllenB wrote: »
    The only thing I found amusing about Monkey Kombat was the stance "Drunken Monkey".
    Apart from that huge glaring plothole with
    Herman Toothrot being Grandpa Marley, even though he sailed to Monkey Island on the Sea Monkey with the dead guy and the dead guy referenced him as Toothrot in the ship's log. And the banana picker changed from a huge pair of hands to a small retractable thing. And Elaine suddenly going from an English accent to sounding like Roz from Frasier. And the fact that Australia wasn't officially called Australia until the early 1900s.
    I like Ron, Dave and Tim's Monkey Island games better.
    I also miss the Men of Low Moral Fiber.
    To add to the plothole:
    Horatio Marley stated that Ozzie pushed him into the whirlpool. But in MI3, LeChuck stated that HE pushed Horatio into the whirlpool.
  • edited January 2008
    I stopped playing EMI, so hateful of Monkey Kombat as I am. Wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't RANDOM.
    Obviously it's not something that you want to have in a pure adventure game, but I think mixing the combat with adventure elements worked well in the Monkey Island games. Monkey Kombat is not so different from the usual insult sword fighting: even if you remember all the insults and responses, you still have to fight numerous pirates to relearn them, because otherwise they don't appear as dialog options. The only difference is that Monkey Kombat requires you to manually write down the correct sequences because there are too many to remember them.
  • edited January 2008
    Monkey kombat was badly coded period...., i wrote every fighting stance and its counter stance, but found myself many times using the correct counter stance but loosing the fight O_o, i spent a week trying to figure out why the hell the same stance worked for the computer monkey but not for me and i actually quit the game for several months and was almost to throw it away for good because of frustration.
    Either way after i cooled down I ended trying random stances and a few days later i dont know how i managed to pull that out playing at random. So it was the most disappointing gaming moment EVER, the "creative" mindless guy behind this atrocity should be shot.
    The only difference is that Monkey Kombat requires you to manually write down the correct sequences because there are too many to remember them.
    That was another thing, you had to write them down which was VERY annoying because there where too many and each had like two counter stances, if it was like the original Monkey Island fights i woudnt mind and would have applaud the change, but the way they made it was terribly done.

Same happened with the blind man's monkey machine, How the hell am i supposed to know each icon represents a bunch of letters, there should have been a hint somewhere in the store about it.
  • edited January 2008
    Soultaker wrote: »
    Obviously it's not something that you want to have in a pure adventure game, but I think mixing the combat with adventure elements worked well in the Monkey Island games. Monkey Kombat is not so different from the usual insult sword fighting: even if you remember all the insults and responses, you still have to fight numerous pirates to relearn them, because otherwise they don't appear as dialog options. The only difference is that Monkey Kombat requires you to manually write down the correct sequences because there are too many to remember them.

The problem is though, it didn't have the wit or humour of either of the swordfighting sections from the others.
    It was just standing in a pose and making monkey noises. Repeatedly.

I didn't have to write them down though, there was a button which brought up a diagram showing how it worked. I was using the PS2 version though, so I don't know if things are different for the PC.
  • edited January 2008
    Yeah, they added the diagram to the PS2 version to make it less horrible.
  • edited January 2008
    I knew I had some kind of smart reason for buying the PS2 version. :cool:
  • edited January 2008
    Now that Ron Gilbert's creative director at Hothead games, maybe people will nag HIM to make a new Monkey Island game (not Telltale), after all it's his baby.

Also, I direct all the people who hope that the classic LucasArts adventure games one day are resurrected to read this;

Dan Connors of Telltale Games quoted from this Game Informer article;
    GI: A lot of those LucasArts franchises are still very popular – you spoke about Day of the Tentacle. Is there a chance you’ll be able to wrangle a few more of those away for more episodes? Are you working on that at all?

Dan Connors: It’s definitely on our minds and it’s definitely something we think about. Maybe I can give you more information a while from now. It’s definitely something that makes good sense to everybody. For them it’s the same thing. For them it’s "What’s the business model? What’s the retail model?" It’s not their type of game – it’s not Star Wars, it’s not with the movie, with the lightsaber – an action game. When trying to do the two things at the same time it makes it challenging. They’ve been trying to figure out the right solution, and hopefully Telltale is part of it.
  • edited January 2008
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Now that Ron Gilbert's creative director at Hothead games, maybe people will nag HIM to make a new Monkey Island game (not Telltale), after all it's his baby.

Mmm... if he could steal the licence from LucasArts, perhaps there'd be a chance! Imagine DOTT2 & MI5... :D
  • edited January 2008
    DOTT was Schafer & Grossman, wasn't it?
  • edited January 2008
    Dott 2 = Mm 3?
  • edited January 2008
    jp-30 wrote: »
    DOTT was Schafer & Grossman, wasn't it?

Right
  • edited January 2008
    How about maniac mansion 3, sequel to "day of the tentacle"... oh wait.. Lucas arts..
    We're on vicious circle.. noooooooooooooo....
  • edited January 2008
    Is it possible to do some loose or unofficial spinoff to "Day of the tentacle," much like how the movie "Soldier" was a loose or unofficial spinoff to Blade Runner? I mean, if a story was so loose to MMI or DOTT, would there be a lawsuit from Lucasarts?

In other words, if Telltale or any other adventure gaming company out there dicides to make a game that starred one of the obscure playable characters in MMI (particularly one with a common name) and revamped him/her like Lucasarts did with BErnard, to the point where he doesn't look like his MMI counterpart, wouldn't that be legal as long as their is a brief reference to the others games or none at now?

For instance, couldn't a company name their character Michael, Wendy, or Jeff but with a new look and no real connection to the previous games other than having a brief mention like "I remember breaking into this one manaic's house who was possessed by some rock" or something?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.