[TWD] Episode 2 refuses to start, only given a ''Rewinding'' option

edited January 2013 in Game Support
As the title says, i can't start episode 2. I've played through it before with no problems, and i have finished all of the episodes. Playing on the PC, on Steam. I have had problems with episode 2 before, the infamous ''black screen with the axe icon'' and i did the whole delete a file in your TWD folder, at which point it functioned perfectly. But now, as the title says, whenever i try to start episode 2 all i get is a warning that if i rewind, all my choices are going to be deleted, and it gives me a ''do you want to continue'' question where i can choose yes or no, and no matter what i take the screen just remains black, with nothing else happening. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• MattPMattP ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff
    edited November 2012
    This is likely a missing patch file. Please try verifying the integrity of your game cache. If this does not resolve the issue, please uninstall and reinstall the game.
  • edited December 2012
    Will an uninstall/reinstall erase all save progress on a Steam installation?
  • edited December 2012
    Is there any solution for this? I'm on Windows 7, playing the game through Steam. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling both the game itself and Steam. Nothing has worked. I played through the whole game fine, no problems. When I tried a second run through, when I got to Episode 2 this rewind prompt to black screen problem appeared. This problem happens also if I attempt to rewind my completed game to any chapter other than 1 and 5. Please help.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Brendude wrote: »
    Is there any solution for this? I'm on Windows 7, playing the game through Steam. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling both the game itself and Steam. Nothing has worked. I played through the whole game fine, no problems. When I tried a second run through, when I got to Episode 2 this rewind prompt to black screen problem appeared. This problem happens also if I attempt to rewind my completed game to any chapter other than 1 and 5. Please help.

I am not sure if your savegame can be fixed, but there's something you can try.

First make a backup of your savegame folder ( usually %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead ).

Next you should disable steam cloud for TWD (In Steam, right click TWD and select "properties". Open the tab "updates" and remove the checkbox from "Enable Steam cloud synchronization for TWD").

Then check if there are additional prefs.prop files in the install folder (e.g. \Steam\SteamApps\common\the walking dead) or its subfolders.
    If so make backup copies of them, and delete the originals, so the game doesn't find them.
    Now try if you can proceed in the game.

If you can't, try individually replacing the prefs.prop in the savegame folder, with one of your backup prefs.prop files from the install folder, and try again if your savegame works.

If that doesn't work either, you might have to sacrifice your savegames, by deleting the entire savegame folder.
  • edited December 2012
    DjNDB wrote: »
    I am not sure if your savegame can be fixed, but there's something you can try.

First make a backup of your savegame folder ( usually %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead ).

Next you should disable steam cloud for TWD (In Steam, right click TWD and select "properties". Open the tab "updates" and remove the checkbox from "Enable Steam cloud synchronization for TWD").

Then check if there are additional prefs.prop files in the install folder (e.g. \Steam\SteamApps\common\the walking dead) or its subfolders.
    If so make backup copies of them, and delete the originals, so the game doesn't find them.
    Now try if you can proceed in the game.

If you can't, try individually replacing the prefs.prop in the savegame folder, with one of your backup prefs.prop files from the install folder, and try again if your savegame works.

If that doesn't work either, you might have to sacrifice your savegames, by deleting the entire savegame folder.

This worked. Specifically, replacing the prefs.prop in the savegame folder with the one from the install folder. Thanks a lot for the help.

Do I need to keep the steam cloud disabled indefinitely?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Brendude wrote: »
    This worked. Specifically, replacing the prefs.prop in the savegame folder with the one from the install folder. Thanks a lot for the help.

Do I need to keep the steam cloud disabled indefinitely?

That's great.
    I am not 100% sure how steam cloud will react to the modifications.
    I would make a backup copy of your working savegame folder, and then enable steam cloud, to see what happens the next time it syncs.
  • edited December 2012
    DjNDB wrote: »
    That's great.
    I am not 100% sure how steam cloud will react to the modifications.
    I would make a backup copy of your working savegame folder, and then enable steam cloud, to see what happens the next time it syncs.

Figured I'd let anyone interested in this problem know that I've been playing the game on and off over the past few days with the steam cloud enabled and haven't had any more issues. I've made it to Episode 4 without a problem.

Thanks again for the help.
  • edited January 2013
    Im having the same problem with the rewinding, im also on steam. i started playing twd fine but once i got to episode 4 it all went wrong and ever since then i cant get past the rewind my progress stage, does not matter what i choose it remains a blank screen, Do i need to follow the same instructions as above or is it different because im plying on a mac ?

I would really appreciate anyone getting back to me as ive had this problem since november
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Im having the same problem with the rewinding, im also on steam. i started playing twd fine but once i got to episode 4 it all went wrong and ever since then i cant get past the rewind my progress stage, does not matter what i choose it remains a blank screen, Do i need to follow the same instructions as above or is it different because im plying on a mac ?

I would really appreciate anyone getting back to me as ive had this problem since november

You can try transfering the same to Mac. The savegame folder is:
    ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/

The location of the install folder you probably know better than me. I don't have a Mac.
  • edited January 2013
    I did what you said and made copies of the save files and the pro file and went to try playing the game again and it still wont let me play, now i cant even start a new game without the black screen coming up ... what do i do now ?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I did what you said and made copies of the save files and the pro file and went to try playing the game again and it still wont let me play, now i cant even start a new game without the black screen coming up ... what do i do now ?

Did you disable steam cloud first?
    Did you try replacing the prefs.prop in the savegame folder, with each pref.prop you may have found in the install folder individually?
    Did you make sure there is no prefs.prop in the install folder or its subfolders anymore?
  • edited January 2013
    I have already disabled steam cloud from the properties option, there are no other prefs.prop files in any of the other folders for the walking dead. the was only 1prefs.prop which i replaced, but ive just played episode 1 again and the same thing happens when i try to get onto the next chapter, i can only play the first one or the other save game episode im on which is 4 it will not let me progress
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2013
  • edited January 2013
    Ive just done that from the link you sent me and it still refusing to play the second episode
  • edited January 2013
    i have also tried uninstalling and re installing steam as some said that has worked but that also did nothing for me, what else can i try ?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I fear i don't know a way to help you, and keep your savegames.

Please try what happens if you make a backup copy of your savegame folder ( ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/ ), and then delete the original.

Then try for all episodes, if starting in an empty save slot with random choices works.
  • edited January 2013
    I have given up on saving my game that i played, im more interested in making my game work properly at this point, what can i do so i can play the game through without all the problems ive been having ??

should i try un installing the walking dead and re installing it ?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Did you try deleting the savegames as i described in my previous post?
  • edited January 2013
    Yeah i tried that before, ive done everything you have suggested but to no luck, after deleting the same files i tries to play from the beginning, got to episode to but then it said all the episodes were coming soon but i have already bought the whole package.
  • edited January 2013
    Ok its been a few days, is there any help you could give to make my game work at all, im getting a bit frustrated as its been going on since november and telltale games havent been very helpful
  • edited January 2013
    Hi there...anyone here...?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Ok its been a few days, is there any help you could give to make my game work at all, im getting a bit frustrated as its been going on since november and telltale games havent been very helpful

I don't really know how to help you.
    Deleting the savegame folder, reinstalling TWD and reinstalling steam were most likely to help.

One last thing i can suggest you to try is creating a new user account on your Mac, and starting the game there.
This discussion has been closed.