Requests for next game engine

edited January 2008 in General Chat
Hmm... Right off from the bat, I wanted some better stuff from the game engine. This is mostly my wish list from Sam & Max Season 1, but I'm not certain that all the other games use the same engine. Well, anyways, here we go:

1. Memory usage detection. I have 512 MB of physical RAM, which most of the time have less the 256 MB available. When I play the game for a long period of time, I have really low memory (about 30 MB), and most of the game is in virtual memory. It'd be nice if there could be a RAM check implemented so then the engine wouldn't stuff my RAM full when I switch rooms.

2. More character control. I'd like the standard movement keys (WASD and the arrow keys) to be used alongside with the point-and-click. The thing is that the camera always moves around and sometimes it blocks the places that you want to go to.

3. More camera control. There should be a set of keys that can be used to control the cameras. As I said, the cameras move around way too much and I could accidentally click on a door instead of picking up / looking at an object, therefore wasting time and memory. There should be three modes, automatic, semi-automatic, and manual.

4. Skip dialogs. I remembered from Sam & Max Hit the Road that you could skip the whole intro scene with a press of <ESC>. That should be made available in the Telltale game engine. Also, make an option to quickly skip out of conversations (mostly have to do with erratic camera behavior; I'll do an conversation if I really wanted to, instead of clicking on someone when I want to do something else when the camera view suddenly change.

Comments

• edited January 2008
    You can skip dialogue with the right mouse button.
  • edited January 2008
    True, but only one screen at a time. I want to skip the whole thing. One of the uses can be to quickly re-finish a game when met with a incompatible Steam to official savegame transition.
  • edited January 2008
    I like the most of the ideas. However, unless they map the "skip whole dialog" onto a different key than the current right mouse button press, I wouldn't enjoy having such a feature implemented. I usually skip the dialog after I have finished reading, but before they have finished speaking.

But what are you trying to say? You don't want to enjoy Telltale's witty dialog time and time again, every time you play? :p
Sign in to comment in this discussion.