Sam & Max System Lockup On Inspiron 8200?

edited January 2008 in Game Support
Instead of playing Sam & Max Ice Station Santa on my high end desktop I'm trying this episode on my 2002 Dell Inspiron 8200. I looked through the game specs and it should play okay. The Inspiron has a 2.2 GHz processor; 1 GB of RAM; and a Radeon 9000 w/ 64 MB of video RAM.

So why is the game hanging up (system lockup) when I start a new game and the title screen plays and displays "Sam and Max". At this point the machine consistently goes into lockup and I have to power off. Prior to starting a new game though I played through the Tutorial successfully although come to think of it there may be some minor sluggishness to it. I'm using my Desktop resolution in the game of 1280 x 1024.

Any ideas? I think by default it wanted to play in 800 x 600? The specs didn't indicate any resolution restrictions and I never thought Sam & Max was tough on systems.

RATS--I posted this in the wrong section!:eek:

Thanks.

Comments

• edited January 2008
    I suppose you COULD start the tutorial then enter the game via debug menu. You should then be able to play through the game, though you will likely have to power off at the credits.
  • edited January 2008
    I suppose you COULD start the tutorial then enter the game via debug menu. You should then be able to play through the game, though you will likely have to power off at the credits.
    You make it sound like this a known problem, or what are you describing here please?
  • jmmjmm
    edited January 2008
    Bad video drivers or incompatible (or defective!) video card.
    You could try updating your drivers (or maybe getting an older more compatible driver), anyway.
    Repost this in the correct forum (telling them to close this thread), there you'll probably get someone from support sooner than leaving this thread here.
  • edited January 2008
    Guybrush Threepwood has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Sam & Max System Lockup On Inspiron 8200? - in the Sam & Max Series Discussion forum of Telltale Games Forums.

This thread is located at:http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4149&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:

What operating system are you on?

Strange...I couldn't find Guybrush's post and I didn't see anyway a poster could delete their message. Anyway, to answer the question, the OS I'm using is XP SP2.

[Edit: Okay, I'll look into the video driver angle and will repost the message again myself in the Support forum and ask them to close this one.]

Thanks.
  • edited January 2008
    Ratsneve wrote: »
    Guybrush Threepwood has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Sam & Max System Lockup On Inspiron 8200? - in the Sam & Max Series Discussion forum of Telltale Games Forums.

This thread is located at:http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4149&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:

What operating system are you on?

Strange...I couldn't find Guybrush's post and I didn't see anyway a poster could delete their message. Anyway, to answer the question, the OS I'm using is XP SP2.

I think this post should be moved to Support please?

Thanks.

I actually deleted my post, because after I'd posted it I came back because I didn't think the question was important. :)
  • edited January 2008
    The video BIOS and drivers are the best Dell offers for this 2002 vintage PC laptop. Would someone in support review this problem and suggest some other fix or concur that there is nothing that can be done at this point. Thank you.
  • SegSeg
    edited January 2008
    There's a three-step program that may get you on track. I'm also assuming you're running Windows XP on the computer. Tell me if that's wrong.

1) Make sure the Dell's BIOS is at A11

It looks like you'll need to use a floppy disk for this, but there's stuff in there that would be good to have.

2) Update Graphics Drivers

For graphics drivers, going direct to the source works; Which in this case is ATI/AMD.

3) Update DirectX

Even if you think you have the latest DirectX, it will be good to run the DirectX installer after you have the new drivers installed. It will at least refresh things if not update your DirectX.
This discussion has been closed.