TWD: choices don't carry over

edited December 2012 in Game Support
Hi all,

I see this is a common bug that Telltale has refused to do anything about. But I was wondering if anyone has a solution to my specific circumstance.

I have the whole season of TWD, on my Mac, using Telltale's own launcher to run the game (non-steam). Basically upon completeing ep 1, none of my choices are carried over in ep2, effectively making the game unplayable.

I have run through episode 1 three times now over the past few months, when I have the energy to try again; this is after either reinstalling completely, deleting saves and starting over, etc, but the same thing keeps happening.

Does anyone know of a fix - a lot of the fixes appear to be PC-specific and obviously I'm on a Mac. I have found the folder where my saves appear to be, with the latest save being the most recent, and also prefs.pop, in both the same folder as the saves and in the 'package contents' of TWD app.

And for the record - Telltale, you provide the worst post-game support I have ever experienced in a games company. I have had similar issues with your games in the past and you simply appear not to give a fuck once you have my money. I won't be buying another of your products and I hope at some point you are called out on the shameful way you treat your customers.

Thanks all,

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2012
    There is supposed to be only one prefs.prop, and it should be in
    ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/

Please make backup copies of both prefs.prop files.
    Then delete the prefs.prop file in 'package contents', and try if your choices are intact.
    If they are not, try copying the backup of the 'package contents' prefs.prop to
    replacing the existing prefs.prop.
  • edited December 2012
    Oh my God. It worked. The end of three months' frustration with this game.

Coping prefs.prop from 'package contents' into the Application Support folder made the game remember my choices. Thanks so much!

(and telltale, you still suck)
  • edited December 2012
    DjNDB wrote: »
    There is supposed to be only one prefs.prop, and it should be in

Where is the prefs.prop supposed to be on PC?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2012
    QMOW wrote: »
    Where is the prefs.prop supposed to be on PC?
    It depends on the location of the savegame folder.

Normal locations:
    Win Vista/7: %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    XP: %userprofile%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

Exceptions:
    If you run TWD in compatibility mode for win95 or win98/me it might save to:
    %PUBLIC%\Documents\Telltale Games\GameData
    or
    %PUBLIC%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

If a certain registry key is missing in you windows user profile it might save to
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\GameData
    or
    %userprofile%\My Documents\Telltale Games\GameData

It's best to check which folder contains the most recent savegames / prefs.prop by file date if you have multiple of these locations.

Make backup copies of all those which exist, and then delete the original folders which seem outdated.
    Also make sure there is no prefs.prop anywhere in the install location or its subfolders. If there is, it's the same as in above post. In some cases you have to move it to the savegame folder, and make sure that it is the only location with a prefs.prop.
This discussion has been closed.