Can't save without admin credentials.

edited January 2008 in Game Support
As it says on the tin. I run XP with a limited profile, and use "Run as..." to get the privileges when I need to install, for better security. For some reason with the first two episodes of this season it hasn't saved unless I've given it admin privileges via "Run as...". I've only met one other piece of software with this problem, and that was quite old, and so assumed full access to C:\Programme Files.

This is made worse by the fact it comes up with "Game Saved" WHEN IT HASN'T. After quite a long session therefore it only came to light when I went to save and exit, and there was no auto-save and the save button didn't do anything.

Is there anything I can do to fix this, or further details I could give?

Nevertheless, congrats on making a game where replaying quite a bit of it almost immediately is still fun.

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    Sorry. :( It's a known issue.

It might help to install the game to a folder that can be accessed from the limited user account, rather than saving it in the default folder. I forget exactly where but I remember this coming up before and that being the solution. Maybe someone else can weigh in with a location to try.
  • edited January 2008
    The problem is that the game tries to store the save games in its installation directory, and your restricted user isn't allowed to write to that directory. I can think of at least three ways to work around that.

The best way may be to give yourself permissions to write in the installation directory (by this, I mean the directory called "Episode 202 - Moai Better Blues"; not the "Sam and Max - Season 2" directory). To do so, turn off Simple File Sharing in Explorer (it's in the Tools menu, under Folder Options > View > Advanced Settings) and then right-click the installation directory and select Properties. On the Security tab, you can now select your restricted user and enable the Write permission.

Alternatively, if you are the only user of the computer playing the game, you might as well just make yourself the owner of the entire directory. You can do this from the Security tab as well; click on Advanced, and then on the Owner tab select the new owner.

If you are not the only user and file permissions confuse you, you might as well just copy the entire installation folder to a place you own (e.g. the Desktop) and simply run from there by clicking the executable. Note however, that this requires additional disk space, you need to change your existing shortcuts, and the uninstaller will not remove your copy automatically; in all, this is probably the least desirable solution.
  • edited January 2008
    Sorry didn't see the Support forum.

I can't find Advanced Settings in the tools tab in Folder Options, or a Security tab in file properties. Are you sure that's in XP (Home)?

Is there any chance of this changing at some point? I just don't quite see why this Season feels the need to write to a location, that simply put it shouldn't, when every other game I've played doesn't.
  • edited January 2008
    Just to clarify: I don't work for Telltale, so I can't say if this will change (wasn't this in the general forum before?)

Regarding the advanced file permissions: it may very well be that you can't set these in Windows XP Home. If you can't take ownership of the files either, I suggest you just use the ugly solution and copy the entire directory to your desktop (or somewhere else) and run it from there. In principle, you can even uninstall the game at that point, to save disk space.
  • edited January 2008
    Soultaker wrote: »
    Just to clarify: I don't work for Telltale, so I can't say if this will change (wasn't this in the general forum before?)

Regarding the advanced file permissions: it may very well be that you can't set these in Windows XP Home. If you can't take ownership of the files either, I suggest you just use the ugly solution and copy the entire directory to your desktop (or somewhere else) and run it from there. In principle, you can even uninstall the game at that point, to save disk space.
    I think I'll try that for the next epsiode, but just ticking the "run with different credentials option" is probably less of a pain than moving it.

The only problem is I'm sure to forget and just install it in the default location for the next episode.
  • edited January 2008
    I'm having this same problem in Vista (64-bit). I fixed by giving write permissions to my user account to my games directory. Luckily I was able to fix this while game was in background so I did not lose the progressing.

Also I noticed if you install and allow the installer run the game right away, the saving seems to work. I guess the administration rights are in effect then within the game.
  • jmmjmm
    edited January 2008
    easy and messy solution for XP Home (And Pro, too)

launch a command prompt, be sure you do so with administrative credentials (as an administrator)
    go to your installation folder
    run the following command in the command prompt
    CACLS <dirname> /E /T /G <computername>\<username>:F

Example
    CACLS "Telltale Games" /E /T /G COMPUTER\User:F

Note: "F" gives full access to the user. You may want to restrict it to read, write and change. just change the F to RWC

Example
    CACLS "Telltale Games" /E /T /G COMPUTER\User:RWC
This discussion has been closed.