Vista and S&M 202

edited January 2008 in Game Support
All of season 1 and episode 201 ran without a problem, but episode 202 won't launch. It it crashes just after i click the launch game button. The screen goes black as if it's trying to load, then closes with the message: SamMax202.exe has stopped working. Any help is appreciated, so long as it's in Lamens's terms, thanks.

running: vista home premium, AMD dual 64 live, DX 10, geforce 7950 512mb GTOC and 2gb ram

Comments

• edited January 2008
    i had trouble opening the gametap version (and was getting the same error), but the problem for me was that the standard vista install of DirectX is missing some files, i had to update my DirectX and now it works fine... you can download the updater from the microsoft website through the direct link below

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&DisplayLang=en
  • edited January 2008
    Hey, tried it but still no go. my directx is already up to date, and i'm running version 10.0
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    First step is to try reinstalling. Failing that, you might want to try updating your graphics card drivers.

Otherwise, the only real difference between the two versions is security. Do you have any sort of cd burning programs like Daemon Tools or Alcohol running?
  • edited January 2008
    Thanks Will, but still no luck. i updated my video card drivers, and reinstalled the game, (i had reinstalled a few times earlier too) but it still won't start up. But no, i don't have any programs like those running or even installed. thanks for the trying though. Forgot to mention earlier as danger brought up, but this is the TTG version, purchased off this site if that helps any.
    edited January 2008
    Hmm, its a bit of a long shot, but try running Windows Update.
  • edited January 2008
    All S&M games so far have worked in Windows 2000 (trust me, trust me), but not Moai Better Blues. :(:(
  • edited January 2008
    Unfortunately, Windows 2000 isn't officially supported, which means our games might run on it, but they might not. We don't make any guarantees either way there. The official system requirements are Windows XP or Vista.
  • edited January 2008
    I have windows completely up to date, i'm thinking i'll reinstall windows and get back down to directX 9 and cross my fingers, as it's been affecting some other games as well. We'll see what happens. Also i'm curious as to what the changes were in regards to the new epesode from the last? So that maybe i could figure out where my comp is falling short.
    edited January 2008
    One more thing you could try if you don't feel like re-installing windows is to try rolling back to an older video card driver. I'm not sure it would help, but to be honest, all of the Vista drivers are still pretty shaky.
This discussion has been closed.