Multiple Walking Dead Issues

edited January 2013 in Game Support
1. It wouldn't start. My fiancee bought it through Steam and it would say "preparing to launch" then nothing would happen. He ultimately got it working but I'm still having other issues. (continue on)

2. I don't think it is carrying my save choices over. In the intro to episode 3 Kenny said "you have put duck in danger, twice" which he never said in my play through (I already had to play through episode 2 twice because of the above issue).

3. It isn't asking me to randomize choices! I started episode 4 (after not playing episode three) and watched all the way through to the episode 4 title screen (as in it said episode 4, not just "walking Dead" and never did I get a "would you like to randomize your choices for unplayed content?"..... so. Suggestions?

Comments

• edited December 2012
    My choices from Episode 1 aren't carrying over. It's saying I saved Doug not Carry (not what I chose). I tried the Prefprops fix, nothing happened. Haven't found anything else. I don't know what else to do and it isn't even asking if I want to randomly generate choices.
    Help please! TELLTALE!!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2012
    I merged your threads.

I don't have a proper solution for you, but i can try to help minimizing the problems.

Are you running TWD on PC or on Mac?

How did he get it working earlier?
  • edited December 2012
    I am running it on Windows on Mac. We got it to open by changing the compatibility settings through Steam.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2012
    You are running Windows on a Mac?
    Natively or in Parallels or similar virtualisation software?
  • edited January 2013
    I am running it on a Mac that is using bootcamp to have a windows partition. I've never had problems with games before because of the partitioning. It's in essence mac hardware and windows OS
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2013
    It's possible that your issue is caused by having multiple prefs.prop files, which sometimes happens for unknown reasons.
    There should be only one prefs.prop, and that's in the savegame folder:
    Win Vista/7: %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    XP: %userprofile%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

Please check if there are additional prefs.prop files in the install folder
    (e.g. \Steam\SteamApps\common\the walking dead)
    or its subfolders.
    If so, make a backup copy of the prefs.prop and delete it from the install folder.

If that doesn't help, make a backup copy of the savegame folder's prefs.prop, and then try copying the install folder prefs.prop to the savegame folder.
  • edited January 2013
    There is no pres.prop folder in the steam directory because we already moved it to the TelltaleGames folder
    Anything else I can try? I have saves through save_24.save so I don't think I lost them I just don't know how to tell the game to look at them
  • edited January 2013
    I went through and got rid of all duplicates that were made in the process of trying to fix it so there is now only one prefs.prop folder and only one TelltaleGames folder and tried it again to no avail. It showed me saving Doug although I saved Carly and didn't ask if I wanted to randomize my choices
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I forgot something important earlier. What compatibility mode are you using?
    If it is Win95 or Win98/ME your savegame folder actually changed to:
    %PUBLIC%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
  • edited January 2013
    I didn't think I was in any compatibility modes
    I just went through steam into preferences- local files- browse local files- then troubleshooted compatibility with WalkingDead101
    The file path is steamapps-common-TheWalkingDead
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I didn't think I was in any compatibility modes
    I just went through steam into preferences- local files- browse local files- then troubleshooted compatibility with WalkingDead101
    The file path is steamapps-common-TheWalkingDead

That's how you set a compatibility mode. Please again do "preferences- local files- browse local files", but this time right-click WalkingDead101, select properties, and open the tab compatibility.
    Please tell me what Windows Version it shows the file to run in there.
  • edited January 2013
    it's running in Windows 98 compatibility mode
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Okay, as mentioned earlier, then your savegame folder is actually
    %PUBLIC%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

That means, that everything you tried on the other savegame folder (e.g. exchanging the prefs.prop) wasn't actually noticed by the game, and you should try it again with this folder.
  • edited January 2013
    I think I overrided the save game prefs.prop with the install prefs.prop O.o
    Is there anyway to fix that?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2013
    That's not good. Always make backup copies before doing something like that.

You can try the "restore previous version" feature (right click, "properties", "restore previous version") on the prefs.prop in the savegame folder.

You can also check the recycle bin for other prefs.prop versions you might have deleted at some point.
This discussion has been closed.