Hints for a terrible adventure gamer?

edited January 2008 in General Chat
Hi. I have played about 10 adventure games (or more) and I still can't get the hang of them. I have used an online walkthrough for everyone I have played (I don't get stuck all time but some puzzles I just cannot work out). It really annoys me that I keep having to do this. Recently I have just started Monkey Island 2 and I am stuck. I don't want to resort to guide so does anyone have any advice for playing an adventure with no hints?
Incidently I can't figure out how to get: "something of the dead" for the voodoo doll, I've got everything else

Comments

• edited January 2008
    Talk to everyone about everything, look at everything, pick up everything you can pick up, try combining every item with every other item.
    evilguy12 wrote: »
    Incidently I can't figure out how to get: "something of the dead" for the voodoo doll, I've got everything else

Have you looked around at
    the cemetery
    ?
  • edited January 2008
    I consider myself a decent adventure gamer, but I think I've checked a walkthrough at least once for each adventure game I've beaten. Usually I go for http://www.uhs-hints.com because they don't give away as much.

To get through adventures without resorting to hints? I'd say:

1. Take notes on paper. Depending on the game, you might need to remember stuff later. Monkey Island is good about letting you always have access to the information you need to progress, but having it on paper can help you interpret it the right way, and make connections you wouldn't have thought of otherwise
    2. Make sure you've checked everything. Talk to everyone, examine every object, and pick up everything you can. You'll probably need all of it.
    3. When in doubt, use everything on everything. Whenever I go to a walkthrough, the answer is almost always the one combination I didn't think to try.
  • edited January 2008
    Haggis wrote: »
    Talk to everyone about everything, look at everything, pick up everything you can pick up, try combining every item with every other item.

Have you looked around at
    the cemetery
    ?

Ok,
    Yes I did. The wooden peg leg (the one the pirate wears) doesn't have something to with it does it?

Thanks guys. Like I said I don't get stuck on every puzzle but there are some extremely simple ones (when I look help that I think "D'oh!") that I get stuck on. I am playing both Monkey Island 1 & 2 at the same time right now (I think I like Monkey 2 more though) since I got the Bounty Pack for 20 pounds! (On amazon it is 200!!).

Also this is really irelevant but I can't get sound working properly on Monkey Island 1. If I play it without ScummVM it plays music (sometimes) but no sound effects. If I play with ScummVM there is no music just sound effects.
  • edited January 2008
    Speaking of Monkey Island 2, does anyone know where I can get a playable demo of it?
  • edited January 2008
    Don't assume you can't pick something up just because someone won't let you. Sometimes you have to find inventive means to get people out of your way. Hope that helps.

@Zack: http://www.scummvm.org/demos.php
  • edited January 2008
    Yep, hints:

Where do you find dead things usuallly?
    Hmm, lots of graves, now if only you could find some names...
    and a way to exhume the body.
  • edited January 2008
    go to the cementary
    head to the hill at the back
    ... you should have a shovel...if not
    If not, then try looking in a billboard near town :P
    nothing??,
    the very first sign from the very begining of the game
    Now use the shovel with the tomb on the hill in the cementary

UHHH i though UHS was dead ^^, i purchased it when it came out and havent used it since then :P
Sign in to comment in this discussion.