Memory accumulation issues?

edited January 2008 in Game Support
I don't have a ton of memory but I meet the requirements, and have plenty of virtual set aside (but not overly excessive), but when I play after changing locations and such very often it starts to really slow, eventually to the point it practically freezes because it's apparently consuming more and more memory. One example is when I was being chased by the mob, the switch from the "initiation" to the chase took forever to come, and was choppy for a fair while at first.

Like I said, the more locations and situations I load the more weighed down it gets. Any solutions to this problem, has anyone else had it?

Help would be greatly appreciated, it becomes a pain to keep saving and quitting to restart unencumbered.

<edit> I should also note that this machine can run rather intensive games, like hl2 quite playably on decent quality settings, so it should be able to handle this better than it does I'd assume </edit>

Comments

• edited January 2008
    Contrary to popular belief, Half-Life 2 is not a resource-intensive game. The people at Valve optimized it into the ground, allowing it to be very very pretty even on mediocre computers.

Also, my only suggestion to you would be to save often and when the slowdown gets extremely unbearable... close the game, start it again and load where you left off.
  • edited January 2008
    that's what I've been doing, but there are other intensive games I've run fine as well, I'll research which are the most intensive later.

have there been memory issues before? I'm suitable for the sys reqs.

how does memory work in these games?
  • edited January 2008
    Aestus wrote: »
    have there been memory issues before? I'm suitable for the sys reqs.

102 had a memory leak when it first came out, but that was fixed. (It *was* 102, right? I'm not 100% sure)

I'm thinking 202 might have a minor one as well, on account of me getting a low memory warning for the first time since 102. On the other hand, I had Firefox running while playing 202, and that takes up a good chunk of resources.
  • edited January 2008
    get something like Everest and check the mem log on the exe :P
  • edited January 2008
    I got bit trouble with performance and i got 256 mb ram!
  • edited January 2008
    Yes, the performance of Season 2 seems a bit iffy. I was able to play Season 1 just fine with a resolution of 1024 x 768, but I had to change to 800 x 600 during the last two episodes, and I had to restart my PC (not just the game) every hour or so.
  • edited January 2008
    unsilviu wrote: »
    I got bit trouble with performance and i got 256 mb ram!

Ouch. :eek:
  • edited January 2008
    I've found that if I can alt-tab out of the game and then go back in, it'll run smoothly again; Windows XP Pro.
  • edited January 2008
    I get terrible lag as well, and my pc is relatively new and fairly powerful. I know it can run Bioshock without problems but the dual core processor breaks GTA.. ahahaha. I have to set it into solo mode to get it working, it's annoying.

Season one was a bit choppy at times but nothing compaired to the lag i'm getting in 202, it's really really slow.

I wonder....
  • edited January 2008
    Kaldire wrote: »
    get something like Everest and check the mem log on the exe :P

I've already checked the memory usage and while t's fine at first, evetually it goes through the roof overwhelming my system to the point of disrupting active connections I have (like irc).
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    Out of curiosity, which episode is giving you problems?
  • edited January 2008
    The problem occurs with every episode essentially, it's not a big deal to me though since it's quick to save and restart (which I tend to take plenty of breaks to check on things anyways).
This discussion has been closed.