Cannot get S&M 202 to work... properly.

Hello everyone, I am completely frustrated over a problem I have with Moai Better Blues. To start off, I'm running on Windows Vista Home Premium on a 2.4ghz Duo Core, with 2GB of RAM, an 8600GT and all the most recent graphics drivers.

The problem is this, the game launches normally, but then I receive a black screen. I can hear the music, sometimes if I click randomly I can click the buttons at the top of the main menu. So the game is working, but I don't see anything other than a black screen.

From all of Season 1 and even 201 Sam and Max has run flawlessly, and they still do, it is just 202 that does not work.

Please help if any of you have any idea what I can do, thank you.

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    Lets start by having you update your graphics drivers (I'm assuming you are 32bit) and DirectX.
  • I already had the latest 169.25 Forceware drivers when I first posted. I just ran the Direct X setup thing you posted. After installing any updates, I tried to run Ep202 again, but still, just a black screen. Sound is still there, I can still click buttons I cannot see, but still no image. Any further suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Edit: If it helps, my monitor goes black with the message "Out of Range" appearing in the middle. It's a NEC 19'' LCD if you needed to know.
  • Update:

After some googling, I came onto the theory it was a resolution problem. To test my hypothesis, I started up Ep 201 Ice Station Santa, and then changed the resolution from 1280x1024 (Standard) to 1280x1024(Widescreen). Immediately I got the "Out of Range" error. Now I can't see anything for both the episodes.

Is there a way I can change the resolution without starting the game? I could always blindly click until I find the resolution settings, but that would be extremely tedious. Is there any registry strings I can edit? Any config files to modify?
    Please, I would be grateful for any help.
  • edited January 2008
    You should be able to delete prefs.prop from the game install folder. Then clear out 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games\Sam & Max Season 2'. That'll reset the game back to its default settings.
  • jmmjmm
    edited January 2008
    Can you Alt+Tab to bring the windowed mode?

If you can, just go to the configuration window and set a standard resolution.

Edit: Sleep deprivation strikes again... its Alt+Enter... grrr, gotta sleep
  • Alright I deleted the prefs.prop and cleared the reg keys, but it's still trying to start in Widescreen mode. For a second, before it goes "Out of Range" I can see the white widescreen window appearing, then boom blackness.

Also, Alt-tab just minimizes it, how do I bring the windowed mode using alt-tab?

If all fails, I may try to reinstall, and hope that works. And now that I screwed up 201, I hope a reinstall can atleast fix that. Thanks for the support guys, I'm determined to get S&M running.
  • edited January 2008
    To switch modes, the key combo is Alt-Enter. Weird, though, removing the settings from the registry and prefs.prop should force the game to start at 800x600 in windowed mode.
  • tabacco, you must be some demi-god descended from the heavens. It worked, Alt+Enter is my new best friend, well second to you ofcourse. It changed to windowed mode which allowed me to change the resolution, allowing me to fix both episodes!

So simple yet so effective. I love you in a way only Sam could love Max. Thanks everyone for the efforts.
This discussion has been closed.