Chariots of the Gods? Ahem dogs?

edited February 2008 in Sam & Max
Dont know if this is a spoiler so I wont put a box in it but just beware there might be plot spoils below... ep is not out yet.

I dont know how old most of you are but I know of a book and later a tv episode called chariots of the gods?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariots_of_the_Gods

Now this was sorta referenced in zak mckracken with the mars face and such so I cant wait to see how it gets implemented into an episode. Will it be Zak Mckracken ish! Will there be stale bread tossed out a window only to crash on a sidewalk making a hole in the street.

This book is so filled with awesome possibilities in terms of sam & max just read up on it and let that stroodle in the noodle.

Then again the ep could just be using the name.. not the book.. im only guessing. XD

Comments

• edited January 2008
    Easter Island statues also figure prominently in Erich Von Daniken's books. Not sure about the Bermuda Triangle, but it's possible, I haven't read Chariots of the Gods since I was about 10 years old.

I lapped that stuff up as a kid. Now I'm a just cynical, jaded old man.
  • edited January 2008
    Lol I too am a bitter ole cynic now.. and more jaded than...well jade. :P

As for the content its not that I believe haha far from it.. just that I can see the potential for awesomeness...

Id love for sam n max to bump into bone or asterix and obelix.. as well.. hmm there might be a world conflict issue...doh
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    they did in that one blooper!
  • edited January 2008
    While this might be a highly intellectual inter-textual reference, it might also be an episode about literal dogs and literal chariots. Too early to tell.
  • edited January 2008
    I guess it should have dogs, if it is handled like the first two episodes. 201 had Santa in it and Santa also being the word that had been changed from the original title. In 202 Mo' had been substituted by Moai and it contained Moai head statues.
    So, since episode 3 is called "Chariots of the Dogs" and the book the title is refering to is called "Chariots of the Gods", it is likely that 203 will indeed contain dogs. I'm not sure if the chariots would be mandatory. I wouldn't have called Santa's hut on the northpole an ice station either..
  • edited January 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    So, since episode 3 is called "Chariots of the Dogs"...

Ahem... episode 4 ;)
  • edited January 2008
    but dogs in the sam & max world would be walking talking dogs like sam right?
  • edited January 2008
    im thinking tons of oddball stuff.. maybe alien dogs.. defiantly some odd places have to be made.. Id hope
    edited January 2008
    its 100% guaranteed that there'll be a dog on episode 204
  • edited January 2008
    Jake wrote: »

Yeah, it'll be Sam!
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    durr....
  • edited January 2008
    Jake wrote: »

on 204 or in 204? :rolleyes:
  • edited January 2008
    Hero1 wrote: »
    on 204 or in 204? :rolleyes:

both
    edited January 2008
    ya we have a dog that sits on our games right before we ship them. its a weird good luck charm. we don't like to talk about it
  • edited January 2008
    so many dog puns I can use here....

dog gone it..

telltales gone to the dogs..

its a dog day afternoon..

its a dog eat dog world..

jakes in the doghouse..

don't wag the dog..

ok I think I got that out of my system
  • edited January 2008
    NickTTG wrote: »
    ya we have a dog that sits on our games right before we ship them. its a weird good luck charm. we don't like to talk about it
    so that's where the games get their interesting flavor..
  • jmmjmm
    edited January 2008
    No wonder why the pets are listed in the credits....
  • edited January 2008
    Well at least they don't use Babies like Pixar does!
  • edited January 2008
    Dedlok wrote: »
    Well at least they don't use Babies like Pixar does!

I'm pretty sure that Nick can prove you wrong on that. ;)
  • edited January 2008
    Hero1 wrote: »
    so many dog puns I can use here....

dog gone it..

telltales gone to the dogs..

its a dog day afternoon..

its a dog eat dog world..

jakes in the doghouse..

don't wag the dog..

ok I think I got that out of my system

I must say, good sir, that your puns are truly doggerel.

(Like I had a choice NOT to say it. :o)
  • edited January 2008
    tee hee
    edited January 2008
    I'm pretty sure that Nick can prove you wrong on that. ;)

I could try... but I'll refrain. It takes up a lot of time to write up these ridiculous things :)
  • edited January 2008
    I'd imagine Chariot of the Dogs has an ancient Egyptian theme since ancient Rome and Egypt had history together and wasn't the God of Death was a dog or a jackel?
  • edited January 2008
    you mean this guy ?
  • edited February 2008
    hmm yes, perhaps that's what 204 is about....mystical dogs from Egyptian times!
  • edited February 2008
    You know, for some odd reason the Egyptian theme never occured to me. LOL I actually like that idea a lot better than the Greco-Roman atmosphere I keep predicting.
  • edited February 2008
    Only, weren't the Egyptians more cat persons?
  • edited February 2008
    the egyptians were cat people? woah I need pictures! oh you mean they liked cats...." demitri martin.

And they worshiped everything mein :P but yep they loved cats too cats dogs snakes beetles(not the band) anything that moved they had a name and god for almost like the greeks then romans
  • edited February 2008
    you forgot about the birds, they also worshipped falcons and hawks maybe...those small birds of prey...and of course the holy ibis.
  • edited February 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    you forgot about the birds, they also worshipped falcons and hawks maybe...those small birds of prey...and of course the holy ibis.
    Oh yeah, I just realized that one of their most important gods is a falcon, which gave me an idea...

falconpunch.png

But anyway, the Egyptians did worship a lot of animals, even going so far as to mummify them, and, like the Romans, they used chariots a lot, so the game could be about them as well. Either way, I'm expecting a parody on epic movies.
  • edited February 2008
    well mostly there most looked up to god was the Dog.
    edited February 2008
    ooh man they were HUGE ardvark fans. They ate that shit up!
  • edited February 2008
    splash1 wrote: »
    well mostly there most looked up to god was the Dog.

I don't think thats true. Isn't Osiris the oldest god and he is not an animal.
    edited February 2008
    nice catch scott!
  • edited February 2008
    I don't think thats true. Isn't Osiris the oldest god and he is not an animal.

From wiki:

Osiris is the oldest son of the Earth god, Geb, and the sky goddess, Nut as well as being brother and husband of Isis, with Horus being considered his posthumously begotten son. He is usually depicted as a green-skinned pharaoh wearing the Atef crown, a form of the white crown of upper Egypt with a plume of feathers to either side. Typically he is also depicted holding the crook and flail which signify divine authority in Egyptian pharaohs, but which were originally unique to Osiris and his own origin-gods (see below), and his feet and lower body are wrapped, as though already partly mummified.
  • edited February 2008
    Maybe in ep 4, some race of egyptian dog ppl mistakes Sam as Anubis for bringing death on innocent ppl during their various cases.
  • edited February 2008
    Haggis wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I just realized that one of their most important gods is a falcon, which gave me an idea...

falconpunch.png

Show your moves!
    edited February 2008
    They already went to Egypt, and pantsed aliens!
  • edited February 2008
    I can see them goin to Egypt again since they have already been to the moon 2 times
  • edited February 2008
    My gut reaction is werewolves. I mean, look at what we've already got. Santa Claus, Bermuda triangles, vampires, zombies. The big theme this season seems to be subversions of popular culture's supernatural icons. Ancient Egypt really doesn't fit with this motif. If we were gonna have Egypt, we should have had Greece at the very least. The Norse. Possibly the Aztec or the Chinese. Mesopotamia?

I think we're really fixating too much on the titles. Someone already pointed out that the other three episodes we know the names of are named based on movies as well. And Ice Station Santa and Moai Better Blues are, to my knowledge, not really anything like the movies their names are parodying.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.