Videogame/TV/etc references

edited February 2008 in Sam & Max
My favorite bits of the Sam and Max games are the little easter eggs and jokes that play on pop culture-- which is good, because sam and max is FULL of Pop culture references. But I especially love videogame references 'cause I'm a huge geek :D

Anyways, in the lastest episode, I caught the awesome Lost reference (the music was spot on for that :P), the Duke Nukem Reference, and (my favorite) the Metal Gear Solid joke :D

I was just wondering if there is anything big I've missed? Keep on putting videogame easter eggs in TTG, and great job with 202 n__n

Comments

• langleylangley Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    I enjoyed the reference to William Randolph Hearst and Marion Davies. Although I'm not sure how that really fits in with popular culture, since these days I associate anything pop culture with VH1. But on that note, I did enjoy the Lost reference as well.
  • edited January 2008
    I'd like to see a gag from Portal in 203.
  • edited January 2008
    What SHOULD have happened at the end of 202 was that
    Sam & Max should have just waited for the DeSoto to come on its own, like at the Ball of Twine.
  • edited January 2008
    there is going to be an ongoing gag where it takes them a month to get home between each episode....
  • edited January 2008
    I'm disappointed that Moai Better Blues has no Gradius reference...
  • edited January 2008
    202 also has a Blues Brothers reference. When you try to give a drink to Glenn Miller Sam comments that drinks aren't free for the band :)
  • edited January 2008
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned the SELF referance yet about how Max pretty much calls them out on the whole
    Three puzzles to solve before the final one
    formula that was pretty much the standard format for Season 1.
  • edited January 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned the SELF referance yet about how Max pretty much calls them out on the whole
    Three puzzles to solve before the final one
    formula that was pretty much the standard format for Season 1.

I noticed that Bosco cites Telltale as one of the forces out to get him in S1E1, right after he mentions hairspray. Max interrupts him before he can finish the word, though.
  • edited January 2008
    AussieEvil wrote: »
    I'd like to see a gag from Portal in 203.
    According to what you read on the internets, all of 202 was an homage to Portal.

Which is pretty darn impressive, since Brendan & the gang had finished designing 202 at least five or six months before Portal even came out.
  • edited January 2008
    so portal was in reality a homage to sam&max?:eek:
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    so portal was in reality a homage to sam&max?:eek:

Which is pretty darn impressive, since Valve & the gang had finished designing Portal at least five or six months before 202 even came out.
  • edited January 2008
    There are a lot of videogame references in season 1, episode 5. There was a Super mario, Castlevania (the save cube,) and a Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest (the Rpg element was like FF while the enemy is slime, which is in every DQ game) reference
  • edited January 2008
    doom saber wrote: »
    There are a lot of videogame references in season 1, episode 5. There was a Super mario, Castlevania (the save cube,) and a Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest (the Rpg element was like FF while the enemy is slime, which is in every DQ game) reference

Don't forget the Pac-Man reference of power pellets and ghost eating!
  • edited January 2008
    Don't forget the Pac-Man reference of power pellets and ghost eating!

And the Sonic reference when Sam hits Max over the head to make the five coins appear.
  • edited January 2008
    the whole episode is one big reference. btw, is the outside area supposed to look tron-like?
  • edited January 2008
    And Reality 1.5 contains many references to the wonderful era of text adventures. Zork, etc...
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    My favorite Zork reference is in 104.
  • edited February 2008
    Will wrote: »
    Which is pretty darn impressive, since Valve & the gang had finished designing Portal at least five or six months before 202 even came out.

Clearly, you guys are in cahoots.
  • edited February 2008
    Will wrote: »
    My favorite Zork reference is in 104.

Which was that? Tell me, tell me!!!!!!

*points threateningly at a lightswitch*
  • edited February 2008
    tobar wrote: »
    Which was that? Tell me, tell me!!!!!!

*points threateningly at a lightswitch*

"Here we are in a field to the eest of the White House" is a reference to the opening of Zork, where you start off in a field to the west of the White House.
  • edited February 2008
    I believe in Zork it was a white house, not THE White House :P
  • edited February 2008
    Sam also adds "there is a small mailbox here" which is also a quote from the opening lines of Zork.
  • edited February 2008
    My favorite bits of the Sam and Max games are the little easter eggs and jokes that play on pop culture-- which is good, because sam and max is FULL of Pop culture references. But I especially love videogame references 'cause I'm a huge geek :D

Anyways, in the lastest episode, I caught the awesome Lost reference (the music was spot on for that :P), the Duke Nukem Reference, and (my favorite) the Metal Gear Solid joke :D

I was just wondering if there is anything big I've missed? Keep on putting videogame easter eggs in TTG, and great job with 202 n__n

Where was the duke nukem and metal gear jokes. I missed them about a mile away
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2008
    Snake?! Snaaake!
    and
    DNF boxes
    both are in the
    underwater area, first one is an option for the radio frequencies, the others lie around
Sign in to comment in this discussion.