From new S&M fans to old S&M fan

edited February 2008 in Sam & Max
hi, I am a old fan of S&M, and I was thinking of purchasing the new so called "episodes" of Sam and Max.

However I am afraid that I will not like these new sam and max, the story game play etc... thats why I havent bought it already because the old sam and max was great and afraid that these new ones are not from the same caliber.

Could the new fans tell me if they are worth purchasing? :)

and what did you guys think of the game play and story lines?

and how big are episodes?

Please dont post spoilers. :)

and many thanks :)

Comments

• edited January 2008
    Try episode 104, it's free. The other episodes have demos, if you don't want to start in mid-season.
  • edited January 2008
    Thanks for your fast reply, however I want to know if its worth buying them, to keep adventure games being built :)

but tgabjs for the info :)
  • edited January 2008
    I couldn't tell ya since I'm not a "New fan"
  • edited January 2008
    Well I like them, but I might be biased :)

Best I can suggest is to try the demo or the free Episode 104, like ShaggE said.
  • edited January 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    I couldn't tell ya since I'm not a "New fan"

again my apolagies I meant for new S&M game fans to a old S&M game fan perspective :)
  • edited January 2008
    I'd say its worth every penny. :)

Though I can't say much in comparasion with the original "Hit the Road", since I myself am a newer fan, I can assure you that this is one of the very few games that successfully left me in stitches. And from what I've seen of clips of "Hit the Road" and snips of the comics, the humor and personas of the eccentric duo are still intact. Only difference is that you get to witness their mayhem in beautifully rendered 3-D.

So...go play the games! :D
  • edited January 2008
    Finally a very good reply many thanks, going to order it by steam now :) i shall take your word Hyperkinetic_martian ^^
  • edited January 2008
    But, in the end, it's just a matter of opinion - trying the demos, or the free episode, for yourself is the only real way to determine for sure whether or not you'll like it.
  • edited January 2008
    I still don't get why you didn't just download episode 104 FREE. :p Also, I'd recommend buying from Telltale here as when the season is over you get a free dvd (minus the cost of shipping)! But it's probably too late for that.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    please let us know what you thought! for some reason I really want to know what you think. it's a weird morning :)
  • edited January 2008
    I played Hit the Road first, and I think Telltale's Sam & Max lived up perfectly. One of the few games that made a decend jump to 3D.
  • edited February 2008
    I played Season One first then Hit the Road. I think both are brilliant.
  • edited February 2008
    rip3rs wrote: »
    but tgabjs for the info :)

Google says nothing, so I ask: What's "tgabjs"?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    Looks like his right hand was of by a key! heh
  • edited February 2008
    Having played both, I'd say both are pretty similar. Despite their games being in 3D, Telltale have gone out of their way to try and catch the look, feel and style of Sam and Max's world.

If you're after differences between the two games I'll switch on nic-pick mode and go into more detail on now.
    Firstly, and most obviously, Telltale's games are episodic. If you play through the whole season in one go, you'll notice Telltale's favourite characters repeatedly popping up, and lots of use of the hub level, which would be odd were this one whole game rather than six little games.
    Because each episode has to be created in a hurry, you'll occasionally notice some oddities due to time constraints. For example, the camera pans away from fight scenes and explosions that, had more time been available, would probably have been shown in full rather than merely implied. This doesn't effect the gameplay in any way though, so this point is of debatable importance. Just means you have to put up with the occasional break of immersion.
    Even if it's not shown, I felt the violence is more subtle/implied in Telltale's version of Sam and Max. (E.g.,
    Leonard held prisoner in the cupboard, or the Torture Me Elmor Dolls
    .)
  • edited February 2008
    Sorry guys, 3 week job is nasty :p

So its best to buy it through telltale, thank you for pointing that out, I have seen a bit of it and I was interested.

The reason I dont want to download the demo or the free episode its because i like to start at the beginning and never get a part of the story in the midle, I alwyas want to think to my self whats going to come next. :)

I will buy it this week, I will post my thoughts regarding this amazing epic adventure into a "chizzle" 3d :D
  • edited February 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Google says nothing, so I ask: What's "tgabjs"?

sorry :P was bit late or I didnt have sleap that day ^.^

I meant *thanks :d

and chris1 I do mind those minor details on a game that took 2 or problably even 1 year or something whatever, but I think telltale have a tight schedule so I wouldnt think id mind, anyways just the feeling that a company is actually redoing and progressing old and new ADVENTURE games is amazing, now a days all I actually see unfortunatly is first bad story bad gameplay get bored 5 minutes of the game person shooters, and or mmrpg witch they are nice to begin with but sigh just to repetative and cant do nothing alone.

I am happy that soon the new generations of games will go abck into adventure games and not only click and kill games . :D
  • edited February 2008
    I am happy that soon the new generations of games will go abck into adventure games and not only click and kill games . :D

I'm sure Max is saddened by this.
  • edited February 2008
    Yeah, I should've mentioned the Season 1 DVD from Telltale's store in my initial post...sorry :p

Anyways, I'm actually kind of relieved to hear from you; thought you ended up not enjoying the new games so you hid yourself away in the shadows of the forum, plotting to quicken the coming of my inevitable death for my recommendation that caused you to spend nearly thirty hard-earned dollars on a game that failed to meet expectations. I can finally sleep peacefully again :p

But seriously, I'm looking forward to hearing about what you thought about the new games. :)
  • edited February 2008
    There's no doubt that while Hit the Road was a real quality game, season 1 and the beginning of season 2 are quite great as well. I started off with Hit the Road too, and I was real skeptical of purchasing these episodes, but I finally decided to do it.

I'll tell you I wasn't dissapointed at all, and in fact you start to like these episodes more due to the continuous stories that spread through them. The way the episodic technique was used makes this type of game incredible amounts of fun. I would no doubt recommend it for you, and believe me you won't be disappointed.

It might take a little to get used to, but you'll love it before long no doubt.
  • edited February 2008
    The reason I dont want to download the demo or the free episode its because i like to start at the beginning and never get a part of the story in the midle, I alwyas want to think to my self whats going to come next. :)

The demos that I've played so far start at the beginning, so nothing is ruined...just like the demo for Hit the Road you start at the beginning. So the best bet is to download the very first episode of S1 and see how you like it.

I was also a Hit the Road fan before picking up Season 1 of the new S&M. While the puzzles were easier, this isn't necessarily a bad thing because you didn't get stumped for days/weeks, and get to enjoy the dialogue and beautiful graphics a bit more. Don't worry, you still feel smart when you solve the puzzles. It flows more like a real episode of a TV show. And the wacky banter of Sam and Max is faithful to the original!
  • edited February 2008
    I played Hit the road years ago, and loved it. I kept replaying it now and then. I'm old, I was there when it and MI, MM and Loom and all those things(Zak McKracken rules!) were new. I really like the new stuff, sometimes I feel the puzzles are a bit too easy, but hey, if you compare a whole season with Hit the road it amounts to more or less the same thing. I played through the whole of season one in a stretch, like it was one big game just before season two came out. It stood up well, I had forgotten many jokes and enjoyed the experience. I guess I was hoping for the environments that are unique in each episode would stay open in the next ones, thus the world would be quite vast by now, creating the potential for some really out there puzzles. It's like, when I walked into the castle in ep 203 now something in the back of my head went "this is it, it's all gonna go down here." And it saddened me a bit.

But I suppose spending two years to create a single epic adventure is beyond economic reality.

b
  • edited February 2008
    I'm one of those old guys......
    played the original when it came out and hold it in my heart forever together with all the other old lucas art adventures. I'm usually very nitpicky about new games but I can wholeheartly recommend getting the old season and buying the new one as well. the old season will have at least 3 episodes you will really like and if 203 is any indication the second season will go through the roof with ep4&5. I'm a happy gamer.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.