Sam&Max on Mac OS

tfrtfr
edited January 2008 in Sam & Max
Howdy,

I'm sure it has been asked a few hundred times before, but every possible search query I squeezed out of my little brain ended up with the "too short, too long or too common" error, so excuse my possibly FAQ question.

The question being - are there any plans to add MacOS support to the S&M line of games? I'm one of those "purists" who's still on the PPC Mac (the last PowerBook series) and (as it turned out after the purchase) cannot even run it under VirtualPC, since the video card VPC is pretending to have, is apparently unsupported.

TIA,
Indrek

Comments

• edited January 2008
    I now own a MacBook Pro (Intel), but I am in the same boat as you. I can't really afford or even want to put Windows on this machine.

I was really really hoping the Vanbrio company would have ported over Sam & Max, but it looks like they are gone and they only did 1 episode of the Bone series and that is a real shame.

Just a few minutes ago I downloaded GameTap cause I saw it had Sam & Max, but to my dismay it isn't for the Mac OS.

I am sorry, but what is the exact problem with porting over Bone and Sam & Max games to the Mac I thought with us having Intel chips now it was suppose to be a lot easier?
    Aspyr.com doesn't seem to be having problems porting games over.

Spin on the famous adage. "We can't buy, if you don't ported it." I mean seriously it's been what a year maybe 2 since these games have been out. I was thrilled when I saw Bone for the Mac, I was hoping that would have gotten the ball seriously rolling. Sorry if I sound harsh, but this isn't 1985 anymore with Macs we have made major leaps and bounds, since then.

(Sorry Indrek I feel your pain I use to have a PPC up until my old laptop decided to have a Hard Drive failure last month.)
  • edited January 2008
    It's not just simply a matter of what your processor core is... Programs developed on Windows machines can make use of the Windows APIs (Application Programming Interface), such as accessing files, sorting memory, that sort of thing. APIs make things a helluva lot easier, but it also means your program sort of becomes "locked" into the OS it was coded on/for. Another detail is DirectX is a Windows-only standard/implementation. In order for Sam and Max to be ported to Mac, they'd have to add OpenGL support.
  • jmmjmm
    edited January 2008
    "Badly" designed software becomes locked to an OS per se.

If you design properly, you can build a version for another platform just recompiling the core and changing interface libraries (For an example, Look at what Firaxis did with Civilization 4). The problem is, that kind of design is not always optimal speed-wise and takes a lot of time to design and do it (And its more costly in comparison to the locked-on OS approach)

So its easier to compromise and lock into a set of systems and keep the schedule on time (always a key issue), and in the case of games, to keep game speed at acceptable levels.

Give Telltale some time, if they believe there is a sizable market and interest for a Mac port the will probably do it*.

*And if they actually port S&M to the Wii or whatever platform, chances are that you may run an emulator for that platform on your Mac or natively in your Wii/X-BOX/etc
Sign in to comment in this discussion.