Browser combatibility and *.flv files

edited February 2008 in Site Support
Hi there

Was just wondering why you use the *.flv extension for your flash content.
It seems my IE based browser Maxthon don't like it.
I can't view your great trailers onsite :(

Of course I know how to watch it anyway by downloading it or open it in the crap IE, but still, I would like it to work in maxthon.

Out of curiosity - with which browsers do you check your content?

Comments

• edited February 2008
    .flv is a Flash Video file, which is pretty standard. It's not meant to be directly viewable.
  • edited February 2008
    I know that, but it bugs me I can't view it.

In your expert opinion, do you think it has something to do with the browser, a faulty flashplayer installation or what? :)

Edit:
    I just used the uninstall flashplayer and reinstalled it, but still no go in maxthon.
  • edited February 2008
    All I can tell you is that it works in IE 6 and 7. Most likely it's some sort of Maxthon-specific issue that, realistically, we don't have the time or resources to debug.
  • edited February 2008
    It's ok, I didn't expect you to, I just wanted to know, what the culprit was.
    So thanks :)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    Can you view Flash video on YouTube or GameTrailers? We use a very standard flash video player on our site, and there are really only two video codecs for flash video...
  • edited February 2008
    Yes I can. I have no problems with anything else, just your site.

If there were other things I couldn't see, I would have understood it, but as it is now, I guess it's just your way of coding the file, that doesn't go well with my browser.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    Weird. It's just Flash 8 video :(
  • edited February 2008
    Oh well, nevermind. It's no biggie.
    It's probably just a combination of the settings my browser and Vista has, that interferes with it.
    I seem to recall being able to watch it on my other XP/Vista machine - could be it's just a file missing somewhere....
  • edited February 2008
    If it doesn't work in Maxthon, and you won't use Internet Explorer, then have you tried to see if they will work in Firefox?
    If that works, I think you might want to try using Firefox's engine in Maxthon rather than IE's. (Apparently you can do that.)
This discussion has been closed.