Feature Request - Repeating Conversations

edited February 2008 in Sam & Max
I have a feature request for your games.

when going through a conversation with the characters you will eventually start repeating parts of the converstation.

wouldn't it be usefull if rather than having to repeat the converstaion you could show an indication to us that the converstaion has been exhausted. e.g. highlighting the topic in a different colour (e.g. red) so that we know when we have gone through the whole speech.

That way we wouldn't have to listen through at least one repeated sequence of speech again and have to click skip through it.

Comments

• edited February 2008
    Or you could just not click on the same line twice?
  • edited February 2008
    Sometimes it brings up different dialogue though. Like the "Do you have any..." lines.
  • edited February 2008
    Badwolf wrote: »
    Sometimes it brings up different dialogue though. Like the "Do you have any..." lines.

yes I know, but then it does start to repeat, thats what i'm trying to say, my way would let you know before you click on the topic if you've heard it before or not.

It's just a time saver for people that like to play though the game efficiently, it wouldn't stop you from going through the conversaitions again if thats what you wanted to do.
  • edited February 2008
    Max for El Presidente vote that on vote that one!! :D

off topic:
    how do you make polls?
  • edited February 2008
    mindless wrote: »
    yes I know, but then it does start to repeat, thats what i'm trying to say, my way would let you know before you click on the topic if you've heard it before or not.

It's just a time saver for people that like to play though the game efficiently, it wouldn't stop you from going through the conversaitions again if thats what you wanted to do.

Sorry, I was replying to xChri5x.

I think what you're suggesting is a good idea.
  • EeKEeK
    edited February 2008
    I also think that's a good idea. In Mass Effect, for example, dialogue options become faded after you select them.
  • mremre
    edited February 2008
    Hm... I'm not sure about this. I remember literally laughing out loud when in episode 101, this traditional (though, truly rather annoying) adventure game feature were used to make some of the best jokes seen so far in the series, at least for us old adventure game buffs. Don't you remember the very first
    Bosco "Do you have any...?" conversation tree
    ? Not to mention the hidden
    Soda Popper song

I'm sorry, but I'll have to go conservative on this issue (though I'm still voting for Max, of course :D).
  • EeKEeK
    edited February 2008
    But that feature would be an incentive for everyone to find hidden lines, without the obvious hassle of hearing exactly the same conversation over and over again just to find out there is nothing more to it. That is why I think the choices on the dialogue tree should fade only after all possible answers are exhausted.

P.S.: Some of my favorite lines from the original Sam & Max game are the various "I can't pick that up" Sam says after you try to "pick up" the door at their office. Hilarious.
  • edited February 2008
    mre wrote: »
    Hm... I'm not sure about this. I remember literally laughing out loud when in episode 101, this traditional (though, truly rather annoying) adventure game feature were used to make some of the best jokes seen so far in the series, at least for us old adventure game buffs. Don't you remember the very first
    Bosco "Do you have any...?" conversation tree
    ? Not to mention the hidden
    Soda Popper song

I'm sorry, but I'll have to go conservative on this issue (though I'm still voting for Max, of course :D).

I agree with all of the above!
  • edited February 2008
    mindless wrote: »

I thought the number one complaint is that the games are already too short! :p I do agree, though. That would be a neat feature to have.
  • edited February 2008
    If I remember correctly, Okami had quite a nice feature.

When the player stopped talking to someone who still had important things left to say, a little triangle appeared over their head as a visual clue.

The idea being that the player didn't then get stuck later having missed a vital instruction/clue/plot trigger.
  • edited February 2008
    Then you have to introduce a little meta like:

"Hey bosco, what's that thing floating over your head?"
  • edited February 2008
    It would be a pretty great idea because you still choose ALL of the Do you have any lines before it would become faded or highlighted. This could save time for people who need to play the game quickly as well as make it easier to see what conversations you have and haven't heard when searching for new dialogue.
  • edited February 2008
    If your trying to play the game quickly then there is no point in listening to dialog in the first place, which pretty much negates that as a point of argument for making this a feature. If your in such a rush that the fraction of a second it take to right click to skip already heard dialog then maybe you need to learn to budget your time better.
  • edited February 2008
    If your trying to play the game quickly then there is no point in listening to dialog in the first place, which pretty much negates that as a point of argument for making this a feature. If your in such a rush that the fraction of a second it take to right click to skip already heard dialog then maybe you need to learn to budget your time better.

Eloquently-stated. That's what I do when I hit a dialogue dead-end.
  • edited February 2008
    Ugh, that reminds me of the time I got my cousin to try Season 1. Whenever he walked up to someone to start a conversation he'd just keep clicking to skip over it all. In my disgust, I forced him to turn it off. =|
  • edited February 2008

Possibly the easiest solution would just be to give lines of dialogue that can repeat an obvious name. E.g. "What did you say is troubling you again?" "What did you want me to do again?" "Where did you say that pink elephant hid your shoes again?".
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    I'm pretty sure that we do that a lot. Maybe not every time, but certainly when it's appropriate.
  • edited February 2008
    Chris1 wrote: »
    Possibly the easiest solution would just be to give lines of dialogue that can repeat an obvious name. E.g. "What did you say is troubling you again?" "What did you want me to do again?" "Where did you say that pink elephant hid your shoes again?".

But then just to be funny the designers would probably through a hidden joke like 5 repeats into that dialog and make the whole thing moot.
    edited February 2008
    But then just to be funny the designers would probably through a hidden joke like 5 repeats into that dialog and make the whole thing moot.

SHHHHH!!!!!
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2008
    Something like:
    (click)
    That reminds me of a joke about French.... but you probably don't want to hear it.
    (click)
    That reminds me of a joke about French.... but you probably don't want to hear it.
    (click)
    (click)
    (click)
    Ok, here's the joke:
    What's the difference between .... (Dialog from a real game, 10 points to whoever says which game)

Or maybe clicking for the eleventh time, you'll get the knife (20 points) , or you'll make Sam sob (1 honorary point).

The first one to get 32 points gets a surprise prize. Only one entry per player allowed. Void where forbidden by law. Only the first one to answer correctly wins.
    edited February 2008
    I always like to slip that kind of stuff in, so keep that in mind for future episodes
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    jmm wrote: »
    Or maybe clicking for the eleventh time, you'll get the knife (20 points)
    Isn't that the puzzle I ripped off completely from Full Throttle for use in TGTTPOACS?
  • edited February 2008
    jmm wrote: »
    or you'll make Sam sob (1 honorary point).

Hmmm, this rings a bell.
    Something in Day of the Tenticle? In any case it has to be a classic <sob>
  • edited February 2008
    That was in Hit the Road, when repeatedly to pick something up.
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2008
    Squinky wrote: »
    Isn't that the puzzle I ripped off completely from Full Throttle for use in TGTTPOACS?

Maybe... ;)
    Hmmm, this rings a bell.

Something in Day of the Tenticle? In any case it has to be a classic <sob>

Nope, Murray got it right: HTR

Come'on folks, only one more to go...
  • EeKEeK
    edited February 2008
    That was in Hit the Road, when repeatedly to pick something up.

Yeah, like I mentioned on the first page of this very thread. :p
Sign in to comment in this discussion.